PDA

View Full Version : Need help with antenna range

zoolander6
08-26-2007, 08:25
"E"s please help...I was a 18B, so im not as smart on radios as you guys. Im a civilian working overseas and im running a RT-xxx with a X-wing. The range on it sucks. I was wondering if any of you have any kool tricks or feild expiediant ideas to increase my range. Please PM me, and ill state the actuall radio and more details. Thanks all

Team Sergeant
08-26-2007, 09:29
"E"s please help...I was a 18B, so im not as smart on radios as you guys. Im a civilian working overseas and im running a RT-xxx with a X-wing. The range on it sucks. I was wondering if any of you have any kool tricks or feild expiediant ideas to increase my range. Please PM me, and ill state the actuall radio and more details. Thanks all

LOL, I can tell you're an 18B......

PM me the details, such as Freq range, radios being used, antenna details and how they're being employed.

TS

Guy
08-26-2007, 09:36
LOL, I can tell you're an 18B......TSI wonder if they ever thought about hiring an 18E?:munchin

Stay safe.

zoolander6
08-26-2007, 10:37
Come on guys...lol you know a "B"s primary weapon is a hammer, and every 3rd word out of his mouth is "UGH"

Team Sergeant
08-26-2007, 11:04
I wonder if they ever thought about hiring an 18E?:munchin

Stay safe.

There ain't enough money in this world to get me over there again.;)

Also, someone recently asked me if I could give weapons training on how to "break contact while in convoy". I answered that they might want to take classes from blackwater or some other "contractor" I don't give training on "running from a fight".

TS

jwt5
08-26-2007, 11:06
Also, someone recently asked me if I could give weapons training on how to "break contact while in convoy". I answered that they might want to take classes from blackwater or some other "contractor" I don't give training on "running from a fight".

TS

Awesome! Hahaha, reminds me of the time my Battalion CSM asked my team if we could teach the "S" shops the same thing. Our answer was similar, except for blackwater we said the MPs :D

Guy
08-26-2007, 12:32
You need an element that's willing to engage the enemy...contain or destroy them; for the convoy to continue moving...

Stay safe.

glebo
08-27-2007, 08:39

Same here, PM me with some pertinent ifo, radio, freqs, distance, how many outstations/directions you need to communicate etc, etc.

But for a quick fix, have ya tried a terminated vertical half rhombic about 172/250 ft?? That would work on your higher freqs, say from 15-25 MHZ, the lower freqs would require more wire. But it depends on distance for your take of angle and such. Gimme a shout.

Guy
08-27-2007, 11:56
Putting your antenna up as high as you can? Like a high a$$ building if you can...:munchin

Stay safe.

AxeMan
08-27-2007, 16:16
I don't yet know what you are using as a radio, but if you are not doing SATCOM with the X-wing ant, you are not going to get far with that. That ant is designed for SATCOM high angle( the sat is close to straight up), or for low angle( the sat is down low on the horizon). It was not made for Line Of Sight comms. PM me if you want to give me specifics and I will do my best to help you. I am an 18Z now, but I was a pretty good with the comms not too long ago.

...............witt sends

deanwells
09-03-2007, 04:50

Send me a PM if you haven't gotten the help you need from the vintage commo guys. I might have a trick up my sleeve.

Guy
09-04-2007, 07:44
Send me a PM if you haven't gotten the help you need from the vintage commo guys. I might have a trick up my sleeve.I believe he's talking about "LOS" commo...

Until you FNG in commo, have your commo terminated from back in the USA...:eek::D:munchin

Stay safe.

deanwells
09-05-2007, 16:13
I believe he's talking about "LOS" commo...

Until you FNG in commo, have your commo terminated from back in the USA...:eek::D:munchin

Stay safe.

Yep I second that.

:p

Team Sergeant
09-05-2007, 17:23
I don't yet know what you are using as a radio, but if you are not doing SATCOM with the X-wing ant, you are not going to get far with that. That ant is designed for SATCOM high angle( the sat is close to straight up), or for low angle( the sat is down low on the horizon). It was not made for Line Of Sight comms. PM me if you want to give me specifics and I will do my best to help you. I am an 18Z now, but I was a pretty good with the comms not too long ago.

...............witt sends

I just saw this.... X-Wing also has LOS antennas.;) Unless we see what and how he's using them all we can do is speculate.:munchin

(And unless he's talking to an A/C he ain't going to get much range from a UHF LOS system.)

Team Sergeant

Former Commo Master:lifter

Guy
09-05-2007, 17:51
I just saw this.... X-Wing also has LOS antennas.;) Unless we see what and how he's using them all we can do is speculate.I think he needs an omni-directional anntenae.

Former radio repairer (29E) that tweaked every radio SF had prior to attending the Q-course.:D

Stay safe.

Ret10Echo
09-05-2007, 17:52
Not knowing details, but convoy ops tend to lean toward a omni-directional antenna system. Better gain in a directional construction, but you lose way too much in coverage.

Para
09-22-2007, 07:32
For the X-wing and SATCOM, cut a sheet of diamond weld larger then the radiating attenuators and place it under the antenna to act as a ground plane.

glebo
10-11-2007, 10:19
For the X-wing and SATCOM, cut a sheet of diamond weld larger then the radiating attenuators and place it under the antenna to act as a ground plane.

After doing a little asking, I now know what an X-wing is...DUH. BUT...my caveat is they did't have those when I was round. But I digress. what PARA says is good advice, especially if you have the antenna mounted on a vehicle, you just took it away from ground. So by adding an artificial ground with metal, wire mesh or something of that nature, it should improve your radiated signal.

I know tis post is a little dated on when it started, but maybe you'll happenstance upon it again. Good luck and stay safe.