PDA

View Full Version : Promotion to E-6 question

Hipshot
08-20-2007, 13:06
I seem to remember that a long time ago (30 years since I was in the Army) that promotions up to and including E-6 were de-centralized and were made at the unit level. Is that still the case? Is there a quota or is it based on unit allocations for each grade? :confused:

My son's going up before the unit promotion board next month for E-6. He said the 82nd Brigade CSM wasn't happy about a "Cav puke" taking one of his "infantry" slots.

jbour13
08-20-2007, 14:00
E-5 Promotions have mostly been taken away from the units when a soldier hits their primary zone for promotion without waivers.

If you don't provide a solid justification as to why a soldier is not NCO material, the Army will place them on a centralized promotions list.

For E-6 you still must appear before a unit board. There is talk of centralized promotions to E-6. The Army is not happy with leaders not promoting their soldiers so that is why it has been taken out of their hands. It is necessary for the Army to do this to maintain NCO's and junior level leadership. It is a pain in the ass due to the fact that soldiers that are promoted on time in grade and service, not leadership ability and potential.

I have a soldier that came to me from another unit that was on "The List" and he's fairly incompetent as an NCO. My NCO's that work for me earned their stripes by appearing before a board of 1 CSM, 3 SGM's and a 1SG, all of which are Special Forces Soldiers.

Unit allocations are MTOE specific. For strength management, A unit is allocated a certain number of soldiers by MOS, and Pay Grade. For some soldiers to be promoted and maintain a healthy career, they must demonstrate potential at the next higher pay grade and have an appropriated slot for them to work in. This keeps SSG's from being rated as a Soldier filling a PV2 position (a career killer for support troopers).

That CSM is upset for manning reasons, not at your son. He may hate Cav Soldiers, but it's your son, he comes from good genes. I'm sure he'll do an exemplary job. ;)

Hipshot
08-20-2007, 14:14
Thanks - Matt's gotten nothing but the highest praise from his leadership. When he overheard another trooper say that he (Matt) was one of the few NCOs in the troop that he would want to go into combat with - that speaks well of his leadership and concern for the welfare of the men under his command.

I've always tried to instill in him the fact that leadership means being out front and doing what you expect your troops to do. I think he's make one heck of a Staff Sergeant. Of course, I'm a little prejudiced.