PDA

View Full Version : To wait or not to wait

RiotMaker
08-14-2007, 18:30
I was talking to one of the recruiters in the Special Forces recruting office the other day and he asked why I was waiting till Otober to go to Selection. I told him because I wanted to train up. Condition my feet, build up my endurance, etc. I asked him if he thought that was a bad idea. He said yes.

He said a lot can happen in two months. I can burn myself out, over train, lose my motivation, psych myself out. Stuff like that. He said it was best to just sign up and go before I think about it to much. That way, you can just go and really push yourself and test your limits to see if you got what it takes.

So I am just wondering if maybe I am putting myself at a disadvantage by waiting so long. I figure as long as I keep my eye on the prize and tell myself how bad I want this, I'll be fine. I already know the physical aspect of waiting is good. Because I am getting in great shape. And if I really want this, which I do, I won't lose any motivation in two months. I figure I'll become more motivated.

Anyways, is he wrong in telling me it's a bad idea to wait?

The Reaper
08-14-2007, 18:38
Are you ready now?

What is your PT score?

How fast can you ruck?

What does your four-mile run time look like?

How are you doing on the SWCS SFAS PT Prep handbook?

TR

jwt5
08-14-2007, 22:19
I had a recruiter friend of mine tell me that they like for people to signup and go as soon as possible because it's very easy to be talked out of going.

He used the example of this guy he had sign up last summer when he graduated high school. Instead of going right away he waited to ship out until September so he could spend the summer with his friends. The long and the short of it he met a girl and decided to go to college instead of basic.

However, with your situation, if you know this is what you definately want, I don't see the harm in waiting and getting yourself better prepared. You don't want to go to something like basic/airborne/SFAS just to fail because you weren't prepared.

Just my .02