PDA

View Full Version : Looking for training buddy in Okinawa

wesminsmith
08-09-2007, 20:09
Hey guys, I am here in Okinawa and I am looking for a training buddy. I need someone to ruck with, go to the gym, and run with. Its hard in my unit, 1-1 ADA, to find anyone who is motivated enough to train with me. I hope to get my packet in and have a class date in the next six months, so I want to train as much as I can until then. My wife and I just had a baby, so I need someone flexible enough to put up with when I can and cant train. If your interested, let me know!

Onuma
09-27-2007, 17:04
Training by your lonesome might be one more obstacle for you to overcome, brother. I doubt I'll be able to find a consistent training partner within my unit on Ft. Belvoir, but as my old karate instructor (a 10th dan, Shihan of Okinawan Karate and Judo) used to say: "dedication, determination, discipline." The 3 D's will get you far.

I hope you find someone to train with, but keep in mind that sometimes you'll be the only one there to motivate you.

tom kelly
09-27-2007, 22:21
If you do not all ready have the book "Get Selected for Special Forces"by Major Joe Martin with Master Sergeant Rex Dodson.Send for it immediatly via internet orders: visit www.warrior-mentor.com This will be a big help...Regards,tom kelly

Go For Broke
09-27-2007, 22:39
Hey guys, I am here in Okinawa and I am looking for a training buddy. I need someone to ruck with, go to the gym, and run with. Its hard in my unit, 1-1 ADA, to find anyone who is motivated enough to train with me. I hope to get my packet in and have a class date in the next six months, so I want to train as much as I can until then. My wife and I just had a baby, so I need someone flexible enough to put up with when I can and cant train. If your interested, let me know!

FWIW, I can only see one listed activity that it is probably better / necessary to have someone with you - the gym, as a spotter. Not knowing exactly where you would be rucking on island, I can offer the advice that you let someone know where you will be, a route, and time that you expect to be back (and cell phone coverage is pretty good IIRC). As I was training for SFAS / the Q-course, it was incumbent on me to train, to motivate, and to push myself to MY limits. Remember, you need to be able to work as a teammate and as an individual.

Still, trying to make friends with others from the post who are going / have been is a good idea. Helps you to keep informed WRT changes to the course application process (i.e., application packet information / dates / times of briefings) as well as general G2 (i.e, will I have to transfer airports on mainland (Tokyo International / Narita), do I fly into RDU or FAY, how much are public telephone calls in Fayetteville, what are the newest contact numbers if I get delayed enroute etc...) Not the "How do I get over" G2...

Just my humble $0.02

V/R,

P.S. Congrats on the baby, remember what is important in life...)and it is not to crush your enemy, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women and children :D )

Onuma
09-28-2007, 16:38
Thanks tom kelly and Go For Broke, for your advice.

I just picked up the Get Selected! book yesterday, actually. So far it's been a great read; I'm roughly 1/4 through it. Also, I went and picked up some additional training gear for rucking, running, etc. As Major Martin would likely say it: I'm not going to try to accomplish anything, but I will give it my absolute best. :lifter

Hard work now pays off later.

BTW - Get Selected For Special Forces was only $16.95 at my local AAFES MCSS. Save yourself that extra money if you can find it on post.