PDA

View Full Version : '70 Wine

BMT (RIP)
08-05-2007, 07:23
Came back from VN in '70.

All the young studs on Smoke Bomb Hill were drinking Boones Farm and Strawberry Hill and others.

PT in the mornin' was more like a RALPH CALLING contest. Take off running and about the 1/2 mile mark all you could hear was RALPH. :D

BMT

Pete
08-05-2007, 08:02
OK I admit I was a bit confused by the first wine bottle I ran into that had a cork. I thought they all came with screw caps.

Nothing beats an ice cold beer in a long neck bottle.

longrange1947
08-05-2007, 09:30
Lucky for me I have always had beer tastes on a beer budget. :D

SF_BHT
08-05-2007, 10:35
Born and bred in KY. Wine is banned and you start drinking Bourbon instead of milk......The really poor in Eastern Ky have to resort to beer. It is the WV influence.

Guy
08-05-2007, 13:30
Lucky for me I have always had beer tastes on a beer budget. :DRemember when we could drink two beers during lunch while watching strippers?:D

I was in Signal Company at the time and a few of us would drink two pitchers during lunch, which would infuriate the 1SG, he'd call a 1700 formation for PT.

Off we'd go thru the Mata-Mile...:(

Those were days when there were no H20 points!:lifter

Stay safe.

longrange1947
08-06-2007, 20:30
Yes and I remember an impromptu 1300 brief to the Corps Commander while going through O&I school with "lunch" on my breath.

Anyone guess the name of the club? Does not exist on Bragg anymore but a chicken place is close by. :D

Guy
08-07-2007, 09:42
Yes and I remember an impromptu 1300 brief to the Corps Commander while going through O&I school with "lunch" on my breath.

Anyone guess the name of the club? Does not exist on Bragg anymore but a chicken place is close by. :DThey closed down the Yntema club?

Stay safe.

Team Sergeant
08-07-2007, 10:04
They closed down the Yntema club?

Stay safe.

You mean the "stab and scoot"?

Retired W4
08-07-2007, 10:36
Remember when we could drink two beers during lunch while watching strippers?

TDY at Bragg for me meant topless dancers on the tables of the bar in Moon Hall. I guess they don't have that any more, huh?

longrange1947
08-07-2007, 10:44
They closed down the Yntema club?

Stay safe.

No, my error, I thought I had heard that they had, but I am wrong again. :D

That was the club with the dancers and frequent lunch break during O&I.

The Reaper
08-07-2007, 17:15
TDY at Bragg for me meant topless dancers on the tables of the bar in Moon Hall. I guess they don't have that any more, huh?

Nor does Willie's.:(

TR

LibraryLady
08-07-2007, 18:06
You mean the "stab and scoot"?

I remember it as the stab 'n' jab...

LL

Guy
08-07-2007, 18:40
I remember it as the stab 'n' jab...

LLFriday and Saturday nights were crazy!

Lunch and happy hour were a joy, especially for a teenager who has never seen strippers before.:o

Stay safe.

Peregrino
08-07-2007, 19:30
To much (disreputable) history being forgotten. :p IIRC the "stab & jab" was the Dragon Club. That place was dangerous. Poetic justice when they built the Family Life Center there. Annoying politics when the Rucksack was closed to eliminate competition for the Yntema Club. The "Enema" was good for lunch but not to my liking otherwise. LR1947 - I thought it was closed too. I drive by during the day and nothing is happening so I haven't noticed in years. I remember at one time it was converted to a messhall. McKellars was a respectable hangout until they rebuilt it. And how many times have they opened and closed establishments in Moon Hall? A little nostalgia - Peregrino

Pete
08-08-2007, 04:28
Prior to the Yntema Club on Smoke Bomb hill there was the GB Club and the small wooden one story Club Annex down near the chapel (still there) and where they put the AA Freeway through. The Annex had the Go-Go dancers.

At lunch time both were pretty full. A great number from our company liked to hang out at the 82nd Parachute Club out by Yadkin and Reilly. At one time it had it's own FLS but the area was overgrown in pines and the place was hard to find.

The Company SGM at the time liked the place also and after the BN CSMs Friday afternoon meeting would swing by the place. It didn't take long before just about everybody in the company would be there when he showed up. He'd have the TS meeting at a back table and they would break up and brief the team members. Worked well.

The GB club moved up by the hospital, the annex was closed and the Yntema Club opened. Never the same feel, even with the Go-Go dancers.

We called the Dragon Club "The Corn Palace" with good cause.

Let's not forget the Club annex out on Yadkin just before you go off post. About where the Class 6 store is now. That was known as "The PR Knife and Gun Club". It was a rip roaring place on weekend nights. The new family housing area on the other side of the street saw the end to it's operation.

longrange1947
08-08-2007, 05:53
Very good Pete! You hit all the really fine establishments! :D

Me, being the fine young man that I was, avoided all the bad places and went only to the good reputable ones, like the annex by the now class six, and the GB club. Came back in late 70s for a school and took a bit to find the GB club on the back side of the old hospital and I mean the "OLD " hospital. Came back again in 85 and all the good places were gone and the GB club had moved again.

Guess that's what I get for avoiding Bragg all those years and staying either overseas or at Devens. Now that place didn't have the military clubs but did have its share of civilian clubs with a rep.

Pete
08-08-2007, 06:09
The NCO Club by the Old PX complex was a nice place to go in the mid 70's. They had a weekly special in the dining room each night and some of us barracks rats would walk down a couple of times a week for dinner, even though we were on meal cards. Happy Hour could be fun.

The crack down on drinking pushed a lot of after work beer drinkers off post so the club tried Disco Night and a few other theme nights, didn't work - then went to all ranks and just kept on going down hill.

I enjoyed the military clubs of the other services. I think the edge has to be given to the Navy's 456 Clubs for "Fun Times".

My dad, retired AF, came down to visit me at USASMA, Ft Bliss and we went to the NCO Club there for a couple of beers. He looked around and said if it had been an AF NCO Club the manager would have been fired. I had to agree, all the AF NCO Clubs I visited had been real nice.

Little Rock AFB NCO Club had a membership card you could use similar to a credit card on base and get a monthy bill. The family went out for many a steak night while we were there.