PDA

View Full Version : Question about SF Crest

SgtUSMC8541
08-02-2007, 09:36
OK, I just hired a new employee. Army National Guard. Ive seen his DD214 and he is a Ranger School Grad as well as a combat medic. Good guy. (Spec 4)

Now for my question....... I allow former Marines to wear a small EGA on their uniform. He started wearing the SF Crest on his. He did just transfer into a SFNG Unit in Mass, but he has not even drilled with them yet. Does he rate the Crest? He has not gone through the Q course or any other SF training. When asked about it, he said he rates it because his Unit is an SF unit.

Just want to know if I he rates it. IF he does, rock on and he can wear it on his uniform. If not....... then oh, hell no.

SF_BHT
08-02-2007, 09:41
When Assigned to a Army unit you wear on your epaulets the unit crest on both sides. This is for all personnel assigned SF and support in his case.

SgtUSMC8541
08-02-2007, 09:43
Thanks for the quick responce. I guess I should be a bit more specific in my question. The way he is wearing it implyes he is SF, at least it does in my eyes. If the members here are ok with it, then who am I to disagree.

Dan
08-02-2007, 09:52
Thanks for the quick responce. I guess I should be a bit more specific in my question. The way he is wearing it implyes he is SF, at least it does in my eyes. If the members here are ok with it, then who am I to disagree.

If he is wearing it on his epaulets then it is alright, but if he is wearing it on his chest as his regimental affiliation then he's wrong.

The Reaper
08-02-2007, 10:00
I assume that you are referring to a work uniform and not his Army uniform.

The crest is a distinctive unit insignia, not a personal award.

If he has orders assigning him to the unit, then it is okay, if a bit deceptive.

If he starts wearing a Tab, then you have a problem.

If it bothers you, tell him that you would prefer that he wear the Ranger Tab.

TR

SgtUSMC8541
08-02-2007, 12:04
Reaper,
You are correct. It is a Security Officer Uniform.

It too, just rubbed me as rather deceptive. I have 5 Marines who work there as well and they range from an FSSG guy, a FAST/MSG guy, a Batt Recon buba and two grunts. They all wear the same EGA pin. No wings, etc.

Just felt like, although he is in the unit, he is not SF yet. There is no doubt that he will make it, (he is very squared away and bright) but by using that pin I feel he is saying he IS SF.

I think just to make it simple I will limit what pins you can wear to just service.

Thanks for the help everyone.

SF_BHT
08-02-2007, 12:57
Security Guard uniform is a totally different situation.

If you are a Active/Reserve/NG/IRR service member you have regulations/rules that you have to follow.

You will not wear any uniform accessory on Civilian attire except Miniature items that are listed in the regulation. You can do a search in google for AR670-1 and it will detail what is allowed here is the section that Ref this

AR670-1, Chapter 29–4. When wear of awards is prohibited.
The wear of awards is prohibited in the following circumstances.
a. On any uniform other than those authorized in this regulation. (See section 704, title 18, United States Code (18
USC 704) for the penalty for unauthorized wear of the uniform.)
b. When serving a sentence of confinement.
c. When wearing civilian clothing, except for civilian awards, lapel buttons, or rosettes intended for wear with civilian clothing. Soldiers may wear miniature medals on formal civilian attire at formal social functions, when the
wear of the Army uniform is inappropriate or not authorized.

Even after he gets out of the military and is in the IRR he is still subject to this regulation. After that time is over he can try what ever he wants if no one kicks his ass for disrespecting the uniform.

He is in violation of this reg and should not wear it. He can wear the Army Pin if he wants and that is correct.

Retires are a different section and different Rules found in Chapter 30 of the Reg.

triguy18e
08-02-2007, 13:55
For what its worth,

Loose the crest, attend the "Q", get a tab, get a Team, maintain "Quiet Professionalism", move out and draw fire.

M

SF_BHT
08-02-2007, 15:58
Tell him we are watching him......:munchin
It is a small world.:mad:

Pete
08-02-2007, 16:20
Tell him we are watching him......:munchin
It is a small world.:mad:

And we are everywhere:munchin

Pete

One of the many around the Ft Bragg area.

SgtUSMC8541
08-03-2007, 07:18
Again, thanks much for the input and info.

Ill keep an eye on him:munchin

Razor
08-12-2007, 17:51
SgtUSMC8541, I'd just be direct and ask him why he's wearing the SF crest. If he says its because he's in an SFNG unit but not yet 18 series, then tell him by wearing the crest you thought he was already SF qualified, and others might think that as well. If he's squared away like you said, he'll pick up on the 'hint' and make the correction himself.

SgtUSMC8541
08-13-2007, 16:47
SgtUSMC8541, I'd just be direct and ask him why he's wearing the SF crest. If he says its because he's in an SFNG unit but not yet 18 series, then tell him by wearing the crest you thought he was already SF qualified, and others might think that as well. If he's squared away like you said, he'll pick up on the 'hint' and make the correction himself.

Well I did do that. I was told since he is in the unit he "rates" it becuase his unit wears it.

SF_BHT
08-13-2007, 17:33
Security Guard uniform is a totally different situation.

If you are a Active/Reserve/NG/IRR service member you have regulations/rules that you have to follow.

You will not wear any uniform accessory on Civilian attire except Miniature items that are listed in the regulation. You can do a search in google for AR670-1 and it will detail what is allowed here is the section that Ref this

AR670-1, Chapter 29–4. When wear of awards is prohibited.
The wear of awards is prohibited in the following circumstances.
a. On any uniform other than those authorized in this regulation. (See section 704, title 18, United States Code (18
USC 704) for the penalty for unauthorized wear of the uniform.)
b. When serving a sentence of confinement.
c. When wearing civilian clothing, except for civilian awards, lapel buttons, or rosettes intended for wear with civilian clothing. Soldiers may wear miniature medals on formal civilian attire at formal social functions, when the
wear of the Army uniform is inappropriate or not authorized.

Even after he gets out of the military and is in the IRR he is still subject to this regulation. After that time is over he can try what ever he wants if no one kicks his ass for disrespecting the uniform.

He is in violation of this reg and should not wear it. He can wear the Army Pin if he wants and that is correct.

Retires are a different section and different Rules found in Chapter 30 of the Reg.

If you are not happy with that quote the regulation listed above. If he is not a but head he will quit. If he persist contact his CSM and tell him about this guy and that he is violating the regulations and putting on airs that he is SF to people that do not know any better. The CSM if he is worth his salt will straighten him out. Good luck. :lifter
PS: I am sure that someone on this forum is from that unit and can also Help with a direct approach.

Razor
08-13-2007, 23:09
Well I did do that. I was told since he is in the unit he "rates" it becuase his unit wears it.

Well, I guess you know what kind of guy he really is, then. Sorry you have to work with him.