PDA

View Full Version : most secure flash drive option

JPH
07-31-2007, 11:28
First a note to the admins... I wasn't sure where this should go; Technology News & Reviews, KnuckleDraggers ?, or even one of the professional gear areas... so feel free to move it at anytime to the appropriate area and I am sorry for any inconvenience.
JPH

I am looking for the most secure flash drive option I have came up with these two:

www DOT kingston.com/flash/dt_secure.asp

www DOT ironkey.com/enterprise

I really think, based on my limited knowledge of these matters, that the IronKey would be the best choice because it looks to be built more reliably (read bomb proof). And I can't lie that snappy video really helped explain the hows and whats of the system. (you can find the video under the “Demo” tab warning 56K of death, slow to load even on cable)

Questions:
1.)How well encrypted are these drives? Any layman's explanation to how this method of encryption will protect my data would be a great help...
2.)Are there other options that my google fu didn't find?
3.)Are there any benefits between the two that would make the 4GB IronKey Better then the 8GB Kingston?

Thank-you for your time,
JPH

SF_BHT
07-31-2007, 12:57
First a note to the admins... I wasn't sure where this should go; Technology News & Reviews, KnuckleDraggers ?, or even one of the professional gear areas... so feel free to move it at anytime to the appropriate area and I am sorry for any inconvenience.
JPH

I am looking for the most secure flash drive option I have came up with these two:

www DOT kingston.com/flash/dt_secure.asp

www DOT ironkey.com/enterprise

I really think, based on my limited knowledge of these matters, that the IronKey would be the best choice because it looks to be built more reliably (read bomb proof). And I can't lie that snappy video really helped explain the hows and whats of the system. (you can find the video under the “Demo” tab warning 56K of death, slow to load even on cable)

Questions:
1.)How well encrypted are these drives? Any layman's explanation to how this method of encryption will protect my data would be a great help...
2.)Are there other options that my google fu didn't find?
3.)Are there any benefits between the two that would make the 4GB IronKey Better then the 8GB Kingston?

Thank-you for your time,
JPH

Well there are a million of them out there.
1st Ref Size - It depends on you how big you want your drive and your pocket book.
2nd Encryption - Well for laymens explanation it locks the data:p Techno babble - It locks the data...... The higher the encryption key the better. Random is better than not.

We use a lot of off the shelf USB drives but the IRONKEY is one of the most secure ones that you can buy form a commercial company. We have others that are on Gov contracts but that does not help you.

Basically it depends on what your needs are. Pen drives are good for small amounts of data. I travel with a larger USB secured drive that is 160Gigs and fits in the palm of your hand.

Good luck......;)

dmgedgoods
07-31-2007, 13:09
I have used both of these. They both are comparable, yet the Ironkey is a bit more "bomb-proof" as you noted.

What are you doing that you need to encrypt 8 gigabytes of data? Can you get away with a 4 gig drive? Why is encryption so important?

As is stated here so often, the tools you use are situation dependent, so what is your situation?

Being a soldier (I presume you are), the Ironkey is your best bet. You loose some space, but you gain the rugged design. If you want more storage, and are a bit lighter on your computer duties, the choice is obvious. Situation dependent, indeed.

As far as explaining encryption and how these cards work, etc, PM me if you are interested. The information is boring and technical. Knowledge is power, however, so if you need to know...

Your Google-Fu is ok. There are ways of making a regular flash drive encrypted, secure, partitioned, etc. If you feel ambitious, I could point you in the right direction.

This happens to be my cup of tea, so forgive the long winded reply ;)

McD

jatx
07-31-2007, 14:08
I am looking for the most secure flash drive option

Hopefully this won't be a news flash to you, but if you spend your hard-earned money on one of these, remember not to put any classified materials on it. Doing so makes the entire drive subject to all of the security requirements that come with classification! Also, there is no way to "de-classify" a drive once you put that material on it. :)

The Reaper
07-31-2007, 14:36
Also, there is no way to "de-classify" a drive once you put that material on it. :)

Actually, there is, but it normally involves a degaussing gun or a hammer.

TR

jatx
07-31-2007, 17:33
Actually, there is, but it normally involves a degaussing gun or a hammer.

TR

LOL, that's what I was hoping to help him avoid. :D

JPH
08-01-2007, 13:32
Thank-you all for your help,

SF_BHT, am I to read that a 160GB Flash Drive or is that a pocket hard drive? If that’s flash, then man alive that would be nice. Talk about having your whole digital life in the pocket of your shirt and not scattered between the office, laptop, and home… If you think about it the tech is there with them putting 80GB in an Ipod, but still I didn’t know anyone had purely flash memory drive of that size.

To all those who had the thought that this might be for US Gov classified material, it’s not, and this drive won’t be… ever… I will wait until the school house educates me on these topics and will allow them and the team to guide me on these topics.

Yes I can live with 4GB, its just that if the 2 drives where equal then why not get the biggest, better to have and not need then need and not have… but bomb proof is more important then extra space.

Usage will be personal and business, some of the files need to be secured other files don’t but I don’t want multiple drives to keep track of…

dmgedgoods (or anyone who can help educate me here) – I am interested in the level of security I should expect. How secure should I feel my data is in an IronKey. Let’s say the worse happens and the drive is lost or stolen. Can I sleep soundly that night or will I have to go hunting? This is not my cup of tea, I never feel comfortable with important data in a digital form. But there are just some things one can’t over come this day in age.

Thank-you all,
JPH

SF_BHT
08-01-2007, 16:50
Thank-you all for your help,

SF_BHT, am I to read that a 160GB Flash Drive or is that a pocket hard drive? If that’s flash, then man alive that would be nice. Talk about having your whole digital life in the pocket of your shirt and not scattered between the office, laptop, and home… If you think about it the tech is there with them putting 80GB in an Ipod, but still I didn’t know anyone had purely flash memory drive of that size.

JPH
JPH
The one I use is a SB External HD. I use the 100GB most of the time but also the 160GB FireLite. The Model #'s are USBFLB100 or USBFLB160. It runs on USB Power and fits in the palm of my hand. They also have Firewire models.

You can see all their models at the following location:
www dot smartdisk.com/staticpages/fireliteporthdd.asp

They go up to 160GB. I carry my whole desk on it and just use my Ironkey for moving files and or specific Opns docs. You can encrypt the FireLite if you want. It also has backup software on it to keep your PC and it the same.

Remember the difference between Flash and HD's. Flash Memory can be gone in a flash. HD's are better in my book. I have had many people stick in the PC their flash drives and kick it by accident and bend the device and that breaks the solder and the data is gone in a flash. That must have been why they named it that...... The External HD from FireLite is in a nice hard thin case that has protected mine all over the world. I have probably 15-18 people here using this same USB HD with no complaints. Hope this helps.
Bryan

JPH
08-02-2007, 09:27
SF_BHT, yes this is very helpful, thank-you...

SF_BHT
08-02-2007, 09:37
Glad to Help!:cool: