PDA

View Full Version : Helmet cam?

crash
07-30-2007, 10:57
Anyone out there have any advice on helmet cams?

I was looking for something self contained but most of the ones I've founf are a camera with a wire to a recording device and some of them a wire for a battery as well. So just looking for some advice from someone who has used then as to what would be best.

Looking for something small and light to either helmet or weapons mounting. Would like something self contained so it could be mounted at all times and only turned on when needed.

$100-200
records to SD card
Color / sound

Oregon ATC-2000 AT18
ARCHOS HELMET CAMCORDER
Anyone use these before?

Mr. Wizard
07-30-2007, 12:14
My roommate in Iraq had bought some Samsung extreme sports helmet cam before we got there and we played around with it a bit over there.

The battery life was terrible but we did manage to get a few controlled detonations recorded. Its a decent little camera if you just want something for making a few little clips with but besides that I would not recommend it.

Here is a link.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SCX105L-Sports-Camcorder-Optical/dp/B0007QN8AG

highspeedmdd
07-30-2007, 15:30
A friend of mine who is now retired used to make helmetcams at USASOC. PM me if you would like me to try and contact him to see if he has one made or can make one for you.

M

SF_BHT
07-30-2007, 16:50
Here is a commercial one that we have used for CQB and Riverine Opns.

http://www.helmetcamera.com/

I work with surveillance and video recording equipment for tactical opns and there are a lot of different ones on the market. The price range is from 100-thousands of $. also I build custom ones as opns requirements develop. Start with the link and you can go from there. Budget is a big issue.

Another option is get a fixed Litstick camera, build a battery pack and use your small DV handy cam or DV recorder. You can make your cables to fix your requirements.

Good luck.

crash
07-30-2007, 17:51
I had found that website and was looking at their stuff, I think I may get one as I think a custom built one may be out of my price range...

SF_BHT
07-30-2007, 17:59
I had found that website and was looking at their stuff, I think I may get one as I think a custom built one may be out of my price range...

Good luck I have never had a problem with any of our 23 units except when they dropped heavy equipment on them.

crash
07-31-2007, 15:40
Thanks for the help..