PDA

View Full Version : Jake: Dog Who Searched for WTC Survivors Dies

Trip_Wire (RIP)
07-26-2007, 22:39
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=2007-07-25_D8QJVR280&show_article=1&cat=breaking&image=large

Dog Who Searched for WTC Survivors Dies

Jul 25 09:47 PM US/Eastern
By VERENA DOBNIK
Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK (AP) - A black Labrador who became a national canine hero after burrowing through white-hot, smoking debris in search of survivors at the World Trade Center site died Wednesday after a battle with cancer.
Owner Mary Flood had Jake put to sleep Wednesday after a last stroll through the fields and a dip in the creek near their home in Oakley, Utah. He was in too much pain at the end, shaking with a 105-degree fever as he lay on the lawn.

No one can say whether the dog would have gotten sick if he hadn't been exposed to the smoky air at ground zero, but cancer in dogs Jake's age—he was 12—is quite common.

Some rescue dog owners who worked at the World Trade Center site claim their animals have died because of their work at ground zero. But scientists who have spent years studying the health of Sept. 11 search-and-rescue have found no sign of major illness in the animals.

The results of an autopsy on Jake's cancer-riddled body will be part of a University of Pennsylvania medical study of Sept. 11 search-and- rescue dogs.

Flood had adopted Jake as a 10-month-old disabled puppy—abandoned on a street with a broken leg and a dislocated hip.

"But against all odds he became a world-class rescue dog," said Flood, a member of Utah Task Force 1, one of eight federal search-and-rescue teams that desperately looked for human remains at ground zero.

Anguished New Yorkers honored the dogs.

On the evening of his team's arrival, Jake walked into a fancy Manhattan restaurant wearing his search-and-rescue vest and was promptly treated to a free steak dinner under a table.

Flood eventually trained Jake to become one of fewer than 200 U.S. government-certified rescue dogs—a muscular animal on 24-hour call to tackle disasters such as building collapses, earthquakes, hurricanes and avalanches.

After Hurricane Katrina, Flood and Jake drove 30 hours from Utah to Mississippi, where they searched through the rubble of flooded homes in search of survivors.

In recent years, Jake helped train younger dogs and their handlers across the country. Jake showed other dogs how to track scents, even in the snow, and how to look up if the scent was in a tree.

He also did therapy work with children at a Utah camp for burn victims and at senior homes and hospitals.

"He was a great morale booster wherever he went," says Flood. "He believed that his cup was always full, never half-full. He was always ready to work, eager to play—and a master at helping himself to any unattended food items."

Cynthia Otto of the University of Pennsylvania's School of Veterinary Medicine, who is researching the health of Sept. 11 dogs, expects Jake and the other animals being analyzed will serve as sentinels on possible long-term consequences stemming from 9/11.

Jake's ashes will be scattered "in places that were important to him," says Flood, like his Utah training grounds, the rivers and hills near home where he swam and roamed.

My comment on this article.:

May all the fields in doggy Heaven be lush and green and the creeks run deep and cool Jake...

Good job & well done...

RIP.

HOLLiS
07-26-2007, 23:50
What a good dog. Rest in Peace.

chance
07-27-2007, 00:05
What a good boy, RIP Jake.

Goggles Pizano
07-27-2007, 07:25
In pace requiescat Jake. Thank you for your service.

Hostile0311
07-27-2007, 08:05
RIP Jake.

vsvo
07-27-2007, 09:45
Good dog.

RIP

LibraryLady
07-27-2007, 10:36
RIP Jake. Thank you for your service.

LL

Michelle
07-27-2007, 12:43
Green fields and blue skies Jake.

RIP. Good boy!

m1

SFS0AVN
07-27-2007, 12:59
RIP Jake, Good boy.

echoes
07-27-2007, 13:31
[Flood had adopted Jake as a 10-month-old disabled puppy—abandoned on a street with a broken leg and a dislocated hip.

"But against all odds he became a world-class rescue dog," said Flood,

Enjoy your rest, Jake. You earned it.

Holly

LongWire
07-27-2007, 16:11
RIP Jake, Good Boy!!!!

PSM
07-27-2007, 16:31
Twelve years is still pretty good for a Lab. Too bad about the cancer, though. My avatar just turned 12 and has out lived our previous Akitas by 2 years so far. Still, we dread the inevitable.

Rest in Peace, Kilo Niner Jake.

Pat

Trip_Wire (RIP)
07-27-2007, 16:46
A poster on another website, that I posted this article on posted this Kipling poem, that I thought fit Jake to a 'T.'

FOUR FEET

I have done mostly what men do,
And pushed it out of my mind;
But I can't forget, if I wanted to,
Four-Feet trotting behind.

Day after day, the whole day through--
Wherever my road inclined--
Four-Feet said, 'I am coming with you!'
And trotted along behind.

Now I must go by some other round--
Which I shall never find--
Some where that does not carry the sound
Of Four-Feet trotting behind.

--- Rudyard Kipling ---

crash
07-27-2007, 17:26
FOUR FEET by Rudyard Kipling

Thank you for posting this, I brought my dog home from Korea, because he adopted me, followed me everywhere I went, my superiors often not amused.Anyone been to CP Casey and seen a dog in a road guard rest running pt? ya...
hijack over. RIP Jake, Dog really is mans best friend.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
07-28-2007, 21:47
A good site for Military K-9 Heroes!

K-9 Honors.:

http://www.uswardogs.org/id67.html

PSM
07-28-2007, 22:09
A good site for Military K-9 Heroes!

K-9 Honors.:

http://www.uswardogs.org/id67.html

In regards to the first team listed on that site:

By Michelle Tan - Staff writer
Posted : Sunday Jul 22, 2007 10:10:53 EDT

The first military working dog team killed in action together since the beginning of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were laid to rest together July 18.

Cpl. Kory D. Wiens, 20, of the 94th Mine Dog Detachment, 5th Engineer Battalion, 1st Engineer Brigade of Fort Leonard Wood, Mo., and his partner, Cooper, were killed July 6 by an improvised explosive device while on patrol in Muhammad Sath, Iraq. They had been in Iraq since January.

The cremated remains of Wiens and Cooper, a Labrador retriever, were buried together at Salt Creek Cemetery in Wiens’ hometown of Dallas, Ore., at the request of his family, said Master Sgt. Matt McHugh, the family’s casualty assistance officer.

“Kory referred to Cooper as his son, that’s now much of a team they were,” McHugh said.

McHugh added that based on his own research, the last military canine team to be killed together was during the Vietnam War.

The Army has 578 dog teams, and they have served several hundred rotations in Iraq and Afghanistan, said Hans Freimarck, the military working dog coordinator for the Army Dog Program.

Freimarck said he didn’t know the last time a canine team was killed together, but Wiens and Cooper were the first for operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.

“Most military dog handlers look at [their relationship with their dog] as a marriage,” Freimarck said. “You give to the dog, the dog gives back to you. Every dog handler has a firm attachment to his dog and any dog in the military.”

Wiens and Cooper made up a specialized search detachment trained to find firearms, ammunition and explosives. Being on a specialized search team means more training, and Cooper, who was no more than 4 years old, did his job without a leash.

Cooper was Wiens’ first military working dog, and Wiens was Cooper’s first handler, McHugh said.

Full story:

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/07/army_canineteam_070722w/

Salute and Rest in Peace!

Pat