PDA

View Full Version : Offshore Oil Rig Work

Hostile0311
07-25-2007, 04:34
Hello,
I don't post too much on this board so please forgive me if this is out of line. I currently reside on the island of Malta in the Med. I have recently applied to a number of recruiting agencies here that hire greenhands/new-starts to go to Holland & the North Sea to work on various drilling platforms. I was wondering if anyone on this board, maybe an 18C or engineer that has any experience or advice they can offer about life and different oppurtunities on these rigs. I've researched a bit and read various articles on the subject but would like to hear firsthand from someone with experience on what I can expect. Feel free to PM me or email me with any info that can be passed on. Again, forgive me if I stepped on my nuts for posting out of line. Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Hostile0311

Pete
07-25-2007, 06:46
Combat Divers are only related to Salvage/Army Engineer Divers in that they go underwater. There is a difference in going this a way - and going this a way l.

Key West runs a whole different program than Panama City.

Daughter # 2's boyfriend hopes to start the Panama City Dive course in about - 4 weeks. Prvided he makes it through the 2 week prep course :D after basic.

You just have to love those 2 week prep courses for dive school.

The Reaper
07-25-2007, 08:56
I have seen several shows about this work on Discovery Channel, IIRC, and had a couple of buddies who did it.

It is about what you would expect, dangerous, and is long hours, but pays well.

TR

NousDefionsDoc
07-25-2007, 10:17
I've done some of it. If you go to the North Sea, don't fall into the water - you'll die. Pay attention and do what they tell you, the shit is dangerous.

Oh, and always know where your out is - which way you're going to run when something happens.

echoes
07-25-2007, 10:19
Hostile0311,

One of my brothers worked on one for quite a while.

PM inbound.

Sdiver
07-25-2007, 10:49
Daughter # 2's boyfriend hopes to start the Panama City Dive course in about - 4 weeks. Prvided he makes it through the 2 week prep course :D after basic.

Really......:D

J, PM inbound.

Hostile0311
07-27-2007, 03:48
Gentlemen & Lady
Thank you all for your replies. I'm trying to get my foot in the door and get out there and see what its all about. I had an interview with Noble yesterday which are here recruiting in Malta for personnel at the moment to deploy to the North Sea. It went well and I look forward to positive results and to start a new career. I know its dangerous/hard work and very inhospitable conditions, such as the North Sea as someone mentioned. But from what I understand, the oil business is booming right now and there are many oppurtunities with good pay. Hopefully, I will attain one.
Thanks Again,
Hostile0311

Polar Bear 4/31
08-04-2007, 23:28
Try http://www.longstreath.com. They have employment postings and forums for commercial diving.