PDA

View Full Version : "One small step for man...."

Gypsy
07-20-2007, 18:11
Thirty nine years ago today...I remember as a young child watching with my grandmother. What a proud moment for our Country.

There are transcripts and real audio here:

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/a11.step.html

The Reaper
07-20-2007, 18:45
I remember listening to it on the radio on the way home from the annual beach vacation, and telling my Dad to hurry up so that I could watch the landing on the TV.

My Mother later dealt with Neil Armstrong in his subsequent job in some Federal position and asked me if I had ever heard of him before. I almost fell out of my chair.

These men were giants (admittedly standing on the shoulders of many others), and the Apollo 11 astronauts were on a level with Colombus or Magellan, IMHO.

Godspeed, gents.

TR

Ambush Master
07-20-2007, 18:52
I was in Basic at Ft Bliss!!

Having grown up with all of the Astronauts Kids, I really missed not being back home for this one!!

I was home on leave from West Point when Col Borman read the scripture from Lunar Orbit. It was actually part of a mid-night Christmas Ceremony at St Christopher's Episcopal Church. The Bishop officiated and the reading was an actual part of the service!!

Later
Martin

nmap
07-20-2007, 19:44
I was home on leave from West Point when Col Borman read the scripture from Lunar Orbit. It was actually part of a mid-night Christmas Ceremony at St Christopher's Episcopal Church. The Bishop officiated and the reading was an actual part of the service!!

Sir, it is rare that I succumb to jealousy - this is one of those times.

What a wonderful event that must have been!

Ambush Master
07-20-2007, 20:01
A year and a half later.......

I was in Kontum with a Montagnard team, while another Lunar Mission was going on, trying to explain it to them!!! What a TRIP!!!!!

PSM
07-20-2007, 21:07
I was on Okinawa. The next day, a couple of us went down to the BX at Kadena AFB. On the ride back to Henoko in a skoshi cab, the driver showed us the newspaper headline and shouted "We on the moon. We on the moon." I'm not sure if he meant "we Americans" or "we humans". (For the youngsters, Okinawa was an American territory back then.) At the time, I thought he identified as an American. I liked that.

Pat