PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint 3x Magnifier report

82ndtrooper
07-11-2007, 07:31
I recently purchased an Aimpoint 3x Magnifier for use on my AR15 rifles in conjuction with the Aimpoint CompM3 Red Dot sight. Here's a brief report.

First, the Aimpoint 3x Mag is incredibly light @ 200 grams. For you non metric types that's 7.1 ounces, and that includes the rubber over molded cover. Material housing is Anodized aluminum, dark grey, rubber covered black. Demensions are 110mm x 44mm x 41MM (4.3" x1.7" x1.6")

Magnification is obviously 3X with an objective diameter of 20 mm and field of view of 7 degrees, with exit pupil diameter of 7mm. Eye relief at 5 degrees FOV is 40-90mm and at full FOV 60-65 mm. In order to use the 30mm ring mount that LaRue supplies you'll need to revove the outer rubber cover just forward of the center bulge. Take a razor blade and carefully cut along the edge around the diameter of the tube and remove the out rubber forward cover. Withe the static mount from LaRue you can simply slide the rubber cover back over the front of the aluminum. This adds a bit of safety from shadowing. With the "Pivot" you'll need the full front tube for the mounting rings.

In addition, the Aimpoint 3x Mag includes an allen wrench that can be used with two allen screws which allow the user to center the red dot of the Aimpoint sight when viewed through the magnifier. Nice addition, and this obviously does not affect your red dot zero.

I purchased the LaRue Tactical LT602 mount. This is the static mount designated for the Aimpoint 3X. It's as you'd expect from Mark LaRue, you'd have to use sledge hammer to knock it off if your mounting as instructed. To use Marks own words "It should hard to get on and even harder to get off" There's a downside to this that is obvious to me. When I need to go to CCO applications where only the Red Dot is desired there is no such thing as a "Quick Detach" since the mount is torgued tight enough to make even a chimpanzee have to tug on it for a few moments.

There's cure for this and it's also by Mark LaRue. Simply skip to the LaRue "Pivot" mount that Mark has designated specifically for the Aimpoint 3x Magnifier. It's simple. You mount it just as you'd mount any other LaRue mount and then when you desire to go to CCO applications from open field shots simply reach up and pull rearward on the magnifier and it releases the spring lock and allows the magnifier to "Pivot" down to the right of the weapon just above the brass deflector of the M4 or M16. By all means go straight to the LaRue "Pivot" mount for both open field combat shots and close in shots. Some may like the ACOG 3x but there are advantages to both systems. Personally I like the Aimpoint solution instead of a doctor optic on top of the ACOG.

The magnifier works as prescribed. Some have told me that it magnify's the red dot, but if it does I'm certainly not seeing it from behind the glass. If that were true, then your 2 MOA Aimpoint would be a 6 MOA and it just aint true. A testament to the dual lens technology of Aimpoint. However, there is some shadowing if you purchase the shoulder and cheek to an A2 stock. This takes just a moment to reposition your cheek weld to get full FOV without shadowing. You can keep both eyes open. Another good point that is with LMT SOPMOD stock my cheek purchase never seems to need adjusting to get full FOV without shadowing to the left or right. Another testament to the LMT "Crane" SOPMOD stock for your M4. It's practically 100% Parallax free. The specs are Parallax @ 200 meters <0.2 mrad

Finally: I believe every soldier with an Aimpoint Red Dot should be issued one of these with the proper mount. Obviously I'm biased to the LaRue "Pivot" mount for the reasons mentionede above. I've heard that some Ranger rifle company's are being fielded with the Aimpoint 3X mag and that they using a GG&G mount that has doubled as an PVS/14 mount. there is some wiggle room on the mount and they looking for a solution to this problem. Guess they haven't seen the LaRue products page lately.

Samson also makes a swivel mount for the Aimpoint mag, but I'd stick with LaRue, at least personally. Overall, impressions are that this is another tool that should be looked closely if your not married to an ACOG.

P.S.
Mark LaRue has some Hensoldt magnifiers that were purchased in bulk. For you penny pinchers out there, it's a good deal with the mount. Basically your getting a anti tank tubes magnifier for $50.

Warrior4Life
07-11-2007, 09:08
good report, thanks....

Air.177
07-11-2007, 09:34
I happen to have one of the LaRue "Pivot Mounts" with the Hensoldt Magnifier and it works like a champ. I used it last week from 10 yds to 500 yds and was satisfied with it's performance, especially for the price difference between the hensoldt and the Aimpoint. HTH, YMMV.

Good times,
blake

5POINT56
07-13-2007, 09:36
Great write up and spot on.

I have the La Rue static mount currently, as the pivot mount wasn't in existence when I got my 3x.

One thing you left out is that the 3x, obviously can serve as a low power spotting optic once detached from the rifle...which can come in handy.

I love the M3/3X combo....and as stated, Mark La Rue is the mounting solutions guru....as well as keeping the highest standards in the industry in all ways.

82ndtrooper
07-13-2007, 11:15
Great write up and spot on.

I have the La Rue static mount currently, as the pivot mount wasn't in existence when I got my 3x.

One thing you left out is that the 3x, obviously can serve as a low power spotting optic once detached from the rifle...which can come in handy.

I love the M3/3X combo....and as stated, Mark La Rue is the mounting solutions guru....as well as keeping the highest standards in the industry in all ways.

On a humorus note, my son who is visiting with me this summer was using the Aimpoint 3x as a hand held monocular yesterday. Guess what he was spying on ? :D Apparently there were 3 or 4 rather well built 20 somthings in bikinis at our community pool which is just outside my balcony, or so I was told. :munchin

Yes, it makes for fine hand held monocular when not mounted on the weapon system.

militarymoron
07-13-2007, 18:35
I happen to have one of the LaRue "Pivot Mounts" with the Hensoldt Magnifier and it works like a champ.
i concur - i got one of his 'poor-boy' specials as well. for $350 LESS than the aimpoint 3x, it's a dang good value IMHO and the pivot mount works great. working on a writeup.