PDA

View Full Version : Gear Brands/Makers

Air.177
04-23-2004, 17:07
Everyone here knows that Eggroll and Razor make great kit, but what other brands are PS.com members using? I have stuff from Razor, High Speed Gear, Maxpedition, Safariland, and Paraclete. All on one setup. I like all of them for different reasons, and they all work for me. What do you have, what do you use, what won't you use and Why?

optactical
04-23-2004, 17:20
Use: Eagle, SO Tech, Tactical Tailor, TAS, SDS (only the canteen/ utility pouch) and Maxpedition.

Have but haven't used yet operationally: Kifaru

Will Use or have used: STRIKE, Safariland, HSGI, SOE, Paraclete, and the list goes on....

Will never use: SDS, they don't stand behind their gear, and only provide a 1 year warranty, but the canteen / utility is the bomb and not prone to blowouts in my experience. ELCS, I was issued this piece of crap, and turned it in shortly thereafter. That Gregory/ Bianchi rucksack catastrophe, I turned it in still in the box, sealed, after taking a look at my buddy's.

This is off of the top of my head, I've used tons of stuff.

NousDefionsDoc
04-23-2004, 21:35
Eagle, LBT, BHI (Don't yell Reaper, I didn't know), have an Eggroll on the way, more Eggroll to work next month, thinking Kifaru (book bags for 9 year-olds), Camelback, Emerson, Harsey one day, Glock, Kimber one day, SA, Blade-Tech.

Won't use BHI anymore. Don't like SDS (crappy zippers).

Ghostrider
04-24-2004, 11:20
SOTECH, Paraclete, Eagle (RAID assault pack made for Lightfighter), stuff by eggroll, LBT, Tactical Tailor, SOE......and yes even us "mounted" guys appreciate great kit!;)

Air.177
04-24-2004, 11:22
"BHI (Don't yell Reaper, I didn't know)"
OK, I wasn't going to be the first to admit that I had some of their gear. I have a pistol mag pouch and a rigger's belt. Both were given to me and I would be a fool not to use them at that price. That being said, I wouldn't BUY any of their stuff, but Free is Free.

NousDefionsDoc
04-24-2004, 11:23
SOTECH, Paraclete, Eagle (RAID assault pack made for Lightfighter), stuff by eggroll, LBT, Tactical Tailor, SOE......and yes even us "mounted" guys appreciate great kit!

Easy to buy a lot of gear when you have a steel turtle to carry it all for you.

:munchin

Ghostrider
04-24-2004, 11:29
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Easy to buy a lot of gear when you have a steel turtle to carry it all for you.

True.....gotta have stuff to keep the lounge chair, ice chest, and grill company.:D

Surgicalcric
04-24-2004, 12:44
Kifaru, Tactical Tailor, EGL, Razor, and BHI.

While I have read of bad experiences with BHI I can state the Rigger's belts (atleast the one I have) was well built. It has supported my ass on several occassions without givingway and I continue to wear it as my uniform belt.

Footmobile
04-24-2004, 15:05
Do most people take issue with Blackhawks' gear being made overseas or is it a quality issue?

Or does being made overseas make it a quality issue by default?

I have been unimpressed with their big ticket items like vests and packs (anything that has to take alot of stress) but have found their pouches of various sorts and small items to be just as good as the industry standard. The STRIKE line of pockets, though obviously a rip off of another companies gear, comes to mind.

Surgicalcric
04-24-2004, 15:18
While I dont have many things from BHI I do own a STOMP II that I used for Tac-Medic support for the SWAT team here. It would not have been my first choice of kit if I were spending the nickel, but it has held up well thru the wear and tear I have put on it for a couple years. It too is a knock-off but of a LBT bag. Then again LBT copied their medication pouch, airway pouch, and IV pouch from Life Support Products sooo. lol

Air.177
04-24-2004, 15:57
Originally posted by Footmobile
Do most people take issue with Blackhawks' gear being made overseas or is it a quality issue?

I have been unimpressed with their big ticket items like vests and packs (anything that has to take alot of stress) but have found their pouches of various sorts and small items to be just as good as the industry standard. The STRIKE line of pockets, though obviously a rip off of another companies gear, comes to mind.

For me, it is somewhat of a combination of the causes. I agree with you on the big stuff that I have seen from them. I have heard of and seen several of their products fail. And most importantly, For My nickel, I would rather see a small American shop like Razor or Eggroll do well than a giant corporation like Blackhawk. Just Personal Preference I suppose. Well, Personal preference influenced by All of NDD's talk about oppressed masses toiling in sweatshops:D

Footmobile
04-24-2004, 16:03
Originally posted by Air.177
influenced by All of NDD's talk about oppressed masses toiling in sweatshops

If i happen to buy a Blackhawk item does that qualify me for the People's List?:D

Air.177
04-24-2004, 16:35
If i happen to buy a Blackhawk item does that qualify me for the People's List?

Might ought to ask the People's Medic;)

NousDefionsDoc
04-24-2004, 17:32
You've both been on The List for over a week.

Footmobile is is a Marine - the epitome of US oppression projected into the 3rd world to enforce the reactionary policies of the reactionary American imperialist running dogs.

Air for not donating the the 5.11s to The People (mostly me) but rather further perpetrating the capitalist ideals.

The Reaper
04-25-2004, 18:56

Poor quality, yet little, if any less expensive. If the amount of Cordura in a ruck represented such an investment that "Nytaneon" saves money, we are talking pennies on the $100.

Made in Communist Vietnam, other Asian sweatshop wages must have been too high.

One of, if not the worst customer service rep in the industry.

No integrity or original products, virtually everything is a bad/cheap copy of someone elses' gear.

The only thing of theirs I own is the BHI sheath my Y Knife came in, and would have just as soon gotten it with no sheath rather than with theirs for free.

Those of you who have not had problems, yet, the clock is ticking. When it fails in BFE, good luck with the warranty service while continuing the airborne mission without it.

TR

Air.177
04-26-2004, 14:58
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
You've both been on The List for over a week.

Footmobile is is a Marine - the epitome of US oppression projected into the 3rd world to enforce the reactionary policies of the reactionary American imperialist running dogs.

Air for not donating the the 5.11s to The People (mostly me) but rather further perpetrating the capitalist ideals.

I finally made it onto the List!

"Perpetrating the Capitalist Ideals"......
I like it, has a nice ring to it.

Air.177-Perpetrating Capitalist Ideals since 1984

Maple Flag
04-29-2004, 18:24
I don't have so much brand loyalty as design loyalty. That said, from what I've seen, Tactical Tailor puts out products with above average construction for a great price, without being made in dubious overseas factories. Overall, I think I get the best quality per dollar ratio with their products.

I've settled down happily with the following:

Boots: Danner, Wellco

Ruck Sacks: PLCE Bergen, TT MALICE 2

Med Packs: BHI STOMP 2 (property of my employer), TT Trauma Pack

Vests/LBEs: SOE Med Tech LBV, TT Utility TAC-Vest, LBT SAW Gunner's LBE

FullGallop
05-01-2004, 21:39
Has anyone used anything from Diamondback Tactical?

They used to sell Paraclete but are apparently making their own armor vests, etc. now. Looking at the catalog their RCBS vest looks like an exact copy of the Paraclete RAV. Seems they sell BHI also.

Air.177
05-02-2004, 01:03
I bought 2 Paraclte Quad 9mm Mag Pouches From them at the suggestion of another board member. I am completely satisfied with this company.

Ghostrider
05-02-2004, 09:04
Diamondback Tactical no longer is a Paraclete distributer. What they have left in stock is being sold off.

If you order from them ask specifically for Damon.....he is in one of the troops of my squadron and just an overall good joe. Tell him that SFC B. from C Troop referred you. (btw, I get no kickbacks for referrals, just in case anyone thought that was out of line).

However, ask if any items are in stock because they often have VERY large contracts so sometimes smaller orders won't have priority. Just like ordering from any of the larger distributers, you have to understand the current world situation means the manufacturers are busy and this does affect availability.

Also, if you are looking at Paraclete specifically, you can try them directly or lightfighter.com. I do have several 'Clete pouches and they are excellent pieces of kit.

Also, depending on your needs check out Eggroll's or Razor's stuff too.....support the "small guys" too, they put out GREAT items.:D

HTH

Hoplite
05-02-2004, 22:17
What kind of gear does Razor make?
I have gear from HSGI, BHI, TT, Eagle and Safariland. None of the quality has been less than what was expected.

Razor
05-03-2004, 10:41
In a nutshell, various custom pouches and other 'smaller' items.

The Reaper
05-03-2004, 11:10
Originally posted by Hoplite

Damn GOOD gear!

TR

Air.177
05-03-2004, 12:12
Originally posted by The Reaper
Damn GOOD gear!

TR

I'll Second That

Razor
05-03-2004, 12:54
You guys keep that up and I'm going to have to buy new ballcaps. :)

Ghostrider
05-03-2004, 13:34
Hey, I haven't even gotten anything from you but all I've heard are good things so I figured plugging the "little guys" couldn't hurt.:D

The Reaper
05-03-2004, 16:57
Originally posted by Razor
You guys keep that up and I'm going to have to buy new ballcaps. :)

I thought that you had to go to custom made at that size.

Now where is the eggroll and mm contingent?

TR

eggroll
05-05-2004, 23:33
Sorry all.... been downstairs setting up a SECOND sewing machine so I can practice transition drills and the like :p

TR, did Razor mention my idea on your 9 mag carry ?

I will be posting up some new pix shortly.

EGG

for the new folks, I do *small * stuff, and am the fallguy for Razor when he needs HEAVY duty stitching

http://www.geardo.com/images/EGL/eggmlcs1.jpg

NousDefionsDoc
05-06-2004, 07:46
Originally posted by Hoplite

Gucci

Razor
05-06-2004, 08:32
Egg,

Oops, haven't mentioned it to TR yet. My bad. I'll bring my Kifaru E&E down to PWSA this weekend and show you the mods I made to make it more handy as a day-to-day hydration carrier/small daypack.

Sire24657
05-06-2004, 13:20
Originally posted by The Reaper
Damn GOOD gear!

TR

Does he (Razor) only make gear for the SF/SOF "market", or does he also make gear for civilians (especially interested in rucksack mods)?

Surgicalcric
05-06-2004, 13:33
He Mod'd my ruck here.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1345

No my ruck is not pink!

Razor
05-06-2004, 13:51
Originally posted by Surgicalcric
No my ruck is not pink! [/B]

Methinks he doth protest too much. ;)

Surgicalcric
05-06-2004, 14:15
Originally posted by Razor
Methinks he doth protest too much.

Just stating facts not already in evidence.

And for the record, TR, my TA-50 is OD.

Note to self: Buy better camera and some good lighting for next photo op...

70B
04-21-2005, 11:36
This thread has been out of circulation for a while, but...

SO Tech Hellcat (if I had it to do over again I might get the one piece instead of two piece- adding DAPS to IBA negates the usefulness of the easy on/off), Paraclete and Tactical Tailor pouches, HSGI 9mm holster, Tactical Tailor rigger belt, Tactical Tailor modded ALICE pack, 5.56 MAGPULs (work great with open top mag pouches on Hellcat).

All great kit. I like having two mag pouches on the HSGI holster. Off the FOB it holds two mags, on the FOB it holds a mag and my Wave. As long as I remember to switch out before I go out so I don't try to lock and load a multi-tool.

LBT PJ aid bags! Universally better received than the STOMP.

I ordered BattleLab (Diamondback) upright injectable meds pouches for my medics to keep their injectable morphine in. Seems like a novel idea. I also ordered drop-leg medical pouches from I forget where. Those didn't last long. I think a drop-leg holster on one leg and a drop-leg medical pouch on the other seemed like overkill to my guys.

ACOG on my M16, but I'll happily trade that for an M4 with an M68.

The new issue Belleville deserts are much better than the old school deserts, but given my druthers I'd wear my Merrells.

Razor
04-21-2005, 13:43
One drawback to the one-piece Hellcat a SWAT officer buddy of mine mentioned was that when he put 9 fully loaded mags and a water bottole on the front in STRIKE pouches, the weight pulled the Velcro securing the top map pocket open, and the whole front panel sagged forward. I've never tried this (nor do I own a Hellcat Mk I), so I can't speak on this from first-hand experience.

taylor
06-09-2005, 14:47
My colleges use gear from BHI,Eagle,PB(Interceptor) & SDS(RACK&Interceptor).
I'll buy X1-Raptor pack from BHI this summer. Lot of my friends use this and are satisfied with it.
Next think i'll buy is STRIKE commando recon vest with pouches from BHI,Patriot & TT.
I don't understand why you hate BHI? All their products i've had in my hand seems to be good.I've tested gear from TT,BHI,SDS & LBT and i don't see a difference(except SDS-thats realy GI cheap shit :( ).
Great looks equipment from Blackwater.

And a little question: What do you think about CRYE Multicam pattern?
I think,that this is the best pattern and best modified BDU i ever saw!

Martin
06-09-2005, 16:05
Taylor, I think you'll find this post (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7099) interesting.

Martin

eggroll
06-09-2005, 17:24
I'll buy X1-Raptor pack from BHI this summer. Lot of my friends use this and are satisfied with it.
Next think i'll buy is STRIKE commando recon vest with pouches from BHI,Patriot & TT.
I don't understand why you hate BHI? All their products i've had in my hand seems to be good.I've tested gear from TT,BHI,SDS & LBT and i don't see a difference(except SDS-thats realy GI cheap shit :( ).

there is a LOT more to it - suffice it to say, it goes more to BHI's business practices than to their product, albeit up to about 2 years ago, their products were crap, since that time STRIKE gear has exceeded the BHI norm. that being said, their business mentality leaves much to be desired.

Why not buy the item from which the X1 is copied... Eagle Airborne AIII ?

I'd suggest not knocking SDS outright as 'cheap GI shit' ... do realize where you are.

No impressed with BW gear, uncle mikes built their product line, not a good start IMO - FUNCTIONALITY, durability trump looks anyday

Multicam - fair product - does work well in a multitude of environment

their clothing is NOT modified BDU, they were created from scratch as a new design which IMO is functional, and less bulkier than the BDU cut.

The Reaper
06-09-2005, 19:37

Taylor:

There is a world of difference between playing Army, and being in the Army. If you had to bet your life on the gear daily and stress it to the limits, you would soon see the difference with the manufacturers.

Your experience appears to be theoretical, and practical trumps that here utterly. Looking good is a long way from being good. The former just takes money, and the last can take your whole life to learn.

Your first two posts lead me to think that you are some kind of wannabe. If that is the case, please find somewhere else to post as that is unwelcome here. And review the Intro and stickies before posting further.

Have a very SF day.

TR

lksteve
06-09-2005, 19:46
Your first two posts lead me to think that you are some kind of wannabe. well, his profile does state that his intersts include military reenactment...things must be mighty boring in the Czech Republic...

taylor
06-11-2005, 09:13
TR: You're right-i don't know BHI's bussiness practics,etc.
And you're right-i wanna be,but cannot be :D
I know only a few of BHI's products and they seems to be good quality.I dont know a lot of gear from manufacturers like HSGI or Paraclete,but when i compare quality of TT or Eagle vs BHI it seems to be the same.
As you said: "difference between playing Army, and being in the Army".Of Course, its clear to me-im simply "weekend warrior",but the other think is,that i pay for my gear my own money and cause im not too rich i try to became the best for my money.
I try to use the same type of gear that my model uses,so if i see some USAF CCT/PJ to wear something from BHI i say hureey,cause its the most available(price) gear for me.
In our country not many people uses this type of gear-respectively reanectors only.Czech Army SOF's uses gear from czech producents,so i don't have practical opportunity to compare.

And sorry for my bad english-not easy for me to explain what i wanna to say :(

stanley_white
06-11-2005, 17:23
My deployment gear is various items from...

- Kifaru

- HSGI

- Tactical Tailor

- Eagle

eggroll
06-11-2005, 22:24
TR: You're right-i don't know BHI's bussiness practics,etc.
And you're right-i wanna be,but cannot be :D
I know only a few of BHI's products and they seems to be good quality.I dont know a lot of gear from manufacturers like HSGI or Paraclete,but when i compare quality of TT or Eagle vs BHI it seems to be the same.
As you said: "difference between playing Army, and being in the Army".Of Course, its clear to me-im simply "weekend warrior",but the other think is,that i pay for my gear my own money and cause im not too rich i try to became the best for my money.
I try to use the same type of gear that my model uses,so if i see some USAF CCT/PJ to wear something from BHI i say hureey,cause its the most available(price) gear for me.
In our country not many people uses this type of gear-respectively reanectors only.Czech Army SOF's uses gear from czech producents,so i don't have practical opportunity to compare.

And sorry for my bad english-not easy for me to explain what i wanna to say :(

I would suggest that you take a nice look through these threads and other places before troddling off an unsubstantiated post such as yours. Since you have not as much as introduced yourself, you are calling yourself out for more than due attention.

EGG

RAVEN756
06-14-2005, 20:26
Curent Kit:

HSGI Warlord V2 (OD)
HSGI Hydro pack (OD)
**Both fit alright with body armor, sucks to be in a vehicle though**
BHI OMEGA Para Drop Holster (CB)
BHI Puss Pad (OD, & comfortable!)
BHI RAPTOR pack (BLK)
Other various peices for different missions:
- Tactical Yailor
- PPM
- HSGI
- BHI
- Camelback
- MAXpedition
- ESStac
- Good OL'fasion TA-50 LBE load out...

Any reviews on the SOTech Callahan or the HSGI Wasatch or Weesatch? I'm looking for a better plate carrier than the one issued....

Air.177
06-19-2005, 13:18
Anyone have any experience with CSM gear (http://www.csmgear.com/New/Main/index.htm) ? A friend of mine has one of their mini kitbags that is pretty freaking cool. I am looking at having them make me one that has pals webbing on the outside for use as a range bag. Any input is, as usual, Greatly appreciated.

Good times,
blake

Rotor Strike
06-19-2005, 14:06
I'm friends with Mike. His gear is top notch. Cannot recommend his stuff enough.

Air.177
06-19-2005, 14:39
I'm friends with Mike. His gear is top notch. Cannot recommend his stuff enough.

Thanks dude,
I think I will be getting some of his stuff in the next few weeks.

good times,
blake

scopey_uk
07-15-2005, 06:56
One drawback to the one-piece Hellcat a SWAT officer buddy of mine mentioned was that when he put 9 fully loaded mags and a water bottole on the front in STRIKE pouches, the weight pulled the Velcro securing the top map pocket open, and the whole front panel sagged forward. I've never tried this (nor do I own a Hellcat Mk I), so I can't speak on this from first-hand experience.

I have one of the latest "tomcat" models they have added press studs to the map pocket to stop this problem.

I currently use a so tech tomcat with some tt , BHI ( just smoke pouches and they were free ;) ) and some custom molle compatible dpm pouches.

Also have a lightfighter raid sitting under the top lid of my modded issue bergan.

recenlty aqquired some esstac and AiTES pouches in coyote ready for next trip to the desert.

Have also got kit by arktis and SASS.