PDA

View Full Version : Eye dominance

jatx
07-06-2007, 10:50
Gentlemen,

In a recent post, I raised the issue of eye dominance and how it affects shooting technique. I am right handed and left eye dominant, and I see from http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7649 that others have the same issue.

My solution thus far has been to use an Eotech sight placed about half way down toward the muzzle. The combination of distance from my eye and the holographic reticle prevents me from seeing double and getting a POI shift, like I do with the Aimpoint.

I'd like to be able to use the CCO, though. I have no problems when shooting weak side or when I have time to fiddle with my mount, but quick shots are impossible at this point unless I close my left eye.

Understanding that eye dominance is "trainable" to some extent, what exercises, drills, etc. do you recommend trying?

Many thanks.

The Reaper
07-06-2007, 11:49
Understanding that eye dominance is "trainable" to some extent, what exercises, drills, etc. do you recommend trying?

Many thanks.

A patch.

TR

Team Sergeant
07-06-2007, 13:08
Gentlemen,

In a recent post, I raised the issue of eye dominance and how it affects shooting technique.

Many thanks.

You say it affects shooting technique? That's a new one on me.:rolleyes:

I am very left eye dom and a right handed shooter, little to no effect.....

Learn to slightly close that left eye a bit, that's it!

Learn not to listen to those that tell you it needs to be "fixed", they just want people to listen to them, they need to make excuses for lack of instructor ability.........;)

Where are those people I've taught to shoot bullet holes through bullet holes? I ever mention eye dominance and its affects on shooting?:rolleyes:

Team Sergeant

Deadhead 63A1
08-25-2007, 12:38
I'm in the same boat; right handed and severely left-eye dominant. My eye dominance is so pronounced that I physically cannot even partially close my left eye without my right one beginning to close as well. I discovered this problem at a very young age the first time I ever shot a rifle and so I just grew up shooting long guns left handed. I know it doesn't answer your questions for "training" to overcome eye dominance, but simply learning early on to shoot left handed has served me well.

You wouldn't believe the funny looks I get doing transitions when I go from shooting an M4 southpaw to grabbing my sidearm right-handed :)

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-25-2007, 13:52
You wouldn't believe the funny looks I get doing transitions when I go from shooting an M4 southpaw to grabbing my sidearm right-handed :)

Same here. My old man was a traveling salesman, perhaps we are related:D

jatx
08-25-2007, 14:42
I've been shooting some drills with a piece of semi-transparent scotch tape over the left lens of my glasses. It basically achieves the same thing as squinting that eye, but without reinforcing the habit of squinting. Over time, I intend to use it less and less, until I am shooting with both eyes completely open. We'll see how it works...

Guy
08-25-2007, 16:36
I've been shooting some drills with a piece of semi-transparent scotch tape over the left lens of my glasses. It basically achieves the same thing as squinting that eye, but without reinforcing the habit of squinting. Over time, I intend to use it less and less, until I am shooting with both eyes completely open. We'll see how it works...Try wearing the glasses while doing every day things. ;)

Stay safe.

jatx
08-25-2007, 17:56
Try wearing the glasses while doing every day things. ;)

Stay safe.

That's a great idea, thanks for the tip! :lifter

82ndtrooper
08-25-2007, 21:26
I've been shooting some drills with a piece of semi-transparent scotch tape over the left lens of my glasses. It basically achieves the same thing as squinting that eye, but without reinforcing the habit of squinting. Over time, I intend to use it less and less, until I am shooting with both eyes completely open. We'll see how it works...

Are talking pistol or rifle with an optic ?

jatx
08-26-2007, 08:01
Read the top of the thread.

Ambush Master
08-26-2007, 08:59
Try wearing the glasses while doing every day things. ;)

Stay safe.

CAUTION!!! Keep a level head here. Don't try this when driving or using implements that can cause harm if mis-handled!!!:munchin

Guy
08-26-2007, 09:30
CAUTION!!! Keep a level head here. Don't try this when driving or using implements that can cause harm if mis-handled!!!:munchinOne would hope that; common sense would be a factor when doing this.

Darwinism has a way too weed those that, lack good "common" sense.:munchin

Stay safe.

kachingchingpow
08-26-2007, 13:52

Ditto.

I was shot with a slingshot in the right eye when I was about 13. I've got a poly lens in there now, and a permanently dialated pupil. Had a BB gun out back within a week teaching myself to shoot lefty, never looked back. About everything that requires precise vision I do lefty (bow, rifle, etc), but I'm right handed. I go eithr way with pistol, but prefer righty with left eye.

When I was shooting clays competitively, there was a famous instructor I used to chat with. He explained that some scientists actually believe that eye dominance may indicate one's true handedness. They explained that a left eye dom. individual may very well have been born left handed, but through conditioning by parents, siblings, etc. as an infant that right handedness was established. No scientist here, but sounds plausible. This instructor's point was that it's often very easy for a left eye dom. righty shooter to train themself to shoot left.