PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate Fudge Cake

nmap
06-23-2007, 16:17
This is an easy recipe, and the results are excellent!

Serve it warm - a big scoop of vanilla ice cream doesn't hurt either.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
When making the fudge icing, the only potentially challenging step is the heating of the cocoa mixture. It must be heated gently and stirred continuously to assure a smooth, glossy texture. Good luck!

Chocolate Fudge Cake (or Cupcakes)

BATTER:
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cocoa
1 cup oil
1 cup buttermilk
2 beaten eggs, at room temperature
3 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup hot water

ICING:
4 tablespoons cocoa
6 tablespoons milk
1 stick butter or margarine
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

For batter: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-by-13-by-2-inch pan. (If making cupcakes, line muffin pans with 24 paper baking cups.) In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa. Add oil, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, and hot water; mix well. Pour into prepared pan (or baking cups) and bake on the mid¬dle rack for 30 to 40 minutes, (about 25 to 30 minutes for cup¬cakes), or until a cake tester in¬serted in the center comes out clean.

Icing:

While cake is baking, make a paste of the cocoa and milk in a deep, heavy saucepan or in the top of a double boiler. Add butter and slowly bring the mixture just to a boil, stirring constantly. Immediately remove from heat and add powdered sugar and vanilla; beat well until smooth.

Add chopped nuts.

Pour warm icing over the still-hot cake in the baking pan.

Makes 12 generous cake servings or about 24 standard cupcakes.

Gypsy
06-23-2007, 17:04
Thanks!

Sweetbriar
06-23-2007, 20:48
Aha! Chocolate buttermilk cake! Thanks a bunch. I've lost the recipe I'd been using and needed to find another. Buttermilk is a wonder ingredient. I can't understand why they have non-fat buttermilk, tho. A bit of an oxymoron in my view.