PDA

View Full Version : Handheld PC's

dmgedgoods
06-22-2007, 14:27
Just found a really useful handheld pc, aka H/PC. Ordered it last week, awaiting to see the true capabilities. These things can go as low as 80 bucks on eBay. Picked mine up for 145 bucks. The hardware is very comparable to most handhelds these days, and it has a 92% fullsize qwerty keyboard.
Here is a blurb about it: NEC MobilePro 900c (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=2530)
Runs Windows CE .NET 4.20, and has quite a list of productivity tools. Working Construction Management, smaller is better IMHO, but the keyboard was the seller for me.
Does anybody have any experience with smaller H/PC devices? The concept doesn't seem to hold a lot of steam in the PC world...any thoughts?

Guy
06-22-2007, 17:33
I just left Santa Rosa this AM, I was up looking at a project off of Airport Blvd....

Stay safe.

dmgedgoods
06-22-2007, 17:54
I just left Santa Rosa this AM, I was up looking at a project off of Airport Blvd....

Stay safe.

My fiance graduated last year form the PSTC as an EMT right in that neck of the woods (Shiloh Road, take a left). They train police there as well.
You are a contractor as well...what type of construction?
Nice to see a fellow builder ;)

Kyobanim
06-22-2007, 18:10
I've used a Dell Axim for the last 4 years. I only wish it had a USB port on it instead of the memory card for extra storage. I use it for checking for security holes in the wireless at work and taking notes. The writing recognition is second to none, no fancy characters to learn.

Guy
06-22-2007, 19:33
You are a contractor as well...what type of construction?
Nice to see a fellow builder ;)Hotels...If I can put plans on a small PC and do my lay outs/inspections w/o lugging around mini's, it would save alot of time.

I'll be up there Monday off of Airport Blvd looking at a "Hilton" hotel.:p

dmgedgoods
06-22-2007, 19:46
Hotels...If I can put plans on a small PC and do my lay outs/inspections w/o lugging around mini's, it would save alot of time.

I'll be up there Monday off of Airport Blvd looking at a "Hilton" hotel.:p

That is sweet. We are currently doing a project for the owners of the Hilton chain of hotels.
They live in Marin, out in Nicasio (2 houses actually). Small world :)
I have several ideas about getting plans on smaller pc's. This new handheld I am looking at enables me to view PDF, and possibly DXF. Once I receive it, I will immediately start hacking and try to see how it pans out. Are you interested in having a handheld/small laptop that enables AutoCAD plan viewing, layout, etc?
PM me with your requirements or what you would like to see, and I may be able to help. I have developed several approaches for what you may require.

Guy
06-23-2007, 04:38
That is sweet. We are currently doing a project for the owners of the Hilton chain of hotels.
They live in Marin, out in Nicasio (2 houses actually). Small world :) Were they at our "grand" opening off of E. Francisco Blvd an Exstended Stay Deluxe hotel?
I have several ideas about getting plans on smaller pc's. This new handheld I am looking at enables me to view PDF, and possibly DXF. Once I receive it, I will immediately start hacking and try to see how it pans out. Are you interested in having a handheld/small laptop that enables AutoCAD plan viewing, layout, etc?
PM me with your requirements or what you would like to see, and I may be able to help. I have developed several approaches for what you may require.I'm taking it slow for about a month...we got burned-out pushing that last project.:o

I'll definitely keep this in mind....;)

Stay safe.

dmgedgoods
06-23-2007, 11:01
Were they at our "grand" opening off of E. Francisco Blvd an Exstended Stay Deluxe hotel?

They very well could have been. I know they travel a bunch. It must be hard spending all that money.

ello
06-23-2007, 12:05
Just found a really useful handheld pc, aka H/PC. Ordered it last week, awaiting to see the true capabilities. These things can go as low as 80 bucks on eBay. Picked mine up for 145 bucks. The hardware is very comparable to most handhelds these days, and it has a 92% fullsize qwerty keyboard.
Here is a blurb about it: NEC MobilePro 900c (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=2530)
Runs Windows CE .NET 4.20, and has quite a list of productivity tools. Working Construction Management, smaller is better IMHO, but the keyboard was the seller for me.
Does anybody have any experience with smaller H/PC devices? The concept doesn't seem to hold a lot of steam in the PC world...any thoughts?

cute little thing, does it have a word proccesor?

with that size the speed has to be dumbed down, IMO I'd spend the money on a new motherboard/cpu and go for the speed not the size. But then again Im not on the move alot.

is it running windows 2000?

dmgedgoods
06-23-2007, 12:20
cute little thing, does it have a word proccesor?

with that size the speed has to be dumbed down, IMO I'd spend the money on a new motherboard/cpu and go for the speed not the size. But then again Im not on the move alot.

is it running windows 2000?

400 mhz ARM processor is fast enough for what I will use it for. I use a full size laptop (Dell Inspiron 8200) for most of my work including CAD, with a nice desktop PC for entertainment/more work. It runs Windows CE .NET 4.20, which is a pocketpc-like windows. The stylus is for window access, but keyboard shortcuts are faster. The whole purpose of this little pc is for complete mobility. Plus it is cheap, thus making it ideal, IMO for jobsite work/plan editing, etc as mentioned above.

SF_BHT
06-23-2007, 13:52
If you want a true Pocket PC that can do the job with HD, Speed, here it is.
Specs: 1 GHz processor, 30GB HD, 512MB RAM, Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, USB 2.0, FireWire®, audio, thumb keyboard, 800x480 indoor/outdoor readable LCD (ships with: removable lithium polymer battery, docking cable, desktop stand, universal power supply, air/auto cable, carrying sleeve, and digital pen.)

You can run your Mapping software (Falcon View) etc and fit in the shoulder pocket of your uniform check this out.
The OQO model 1 or 1+
http://www.oqo.com/store/shop.cgi/op/op_itemdetail.html

A little pricey but I got Uncle Sugar to get it.

They have a new one also the Model 2 that just came out with Vista. Not to keen on Vista but they work.

I have the hard case with the extended battery that is perfect protection. Trust me it has taken a few hard hits. I use it with my GPS external antenna (USB) for navigation and you can not beat it. Has held up to the Jungle's of South America, Sand Box and Maritime use during many Operations.

Check it out I have had good results and have not had to return it in over 2 yrs or constant use.

dmgedgoods
06-23-2007, 14:03
Specs: 1 GHz processor, 30GB HD, 512MB RAM, Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, USB 2.0, FireWire®, audio, thumb keyboard, 800x480 indoor/outdoor readable LCD (ships with: removable lithium polymer battery, docking cable, desktop stand, universal power supply, air/auto cable, carrying sleeve, and digital pen.)

You can run your Mapping software (Falcon View) etc and fit in the shoulder pocket of your uniform check this out.
The OQO model 1 or 1+

They have a new one also the Model 2 that just came out with Vista. Not to keen on Vista but they work.

I have the hard case with the extended battery that is perfect protection. Trust me it has taken a few hard hits. I use it with my GPS external antenna (USB) for navigation and you can not beat it. Has held up to the Jungle's of South America, Sand Box and Maritime use during many Operations.

Check it out I have had good results and have not had to return it in over 2 yrs or constant use.

Thanks for the heads-up. I have never heard of this company before, and I am very interested in their products. I'll keeping saving my change until the time is ripe.
With the extended battery, how many hours of "hard" use do you get out of it? I wouldn't currently be in a situation that requires extended use at the moment, but I am curious. This would be a sure item for deployment.

SF_BHT
06-24-2007, 12:47
You will like it. When the regular battery was new I got 3+ hours. AFter a year I was getting about 2.5 hrs. The extended was getting 6+ hrs and after 2 years I get about 5+ hours. What I do is run the extended and carru a extended backup on Opns..

If you get the universal power supply with air/auto cable you can keep it going indef...:lifter

FYI if you need the type of GPS antenna I use Google the BU-353 USB GPS Navigation Receiver. it ran me $65.00 and cuts out the Garmin GPS plus serial interface cable and external antenna. For use with Falcon View you load the USB Driver that it comes with and your up and going. With its software you get your GPS fix and you can use your map to see your location if you do not have a digital mapping program.

I am sure you will like it better than those cheaper cutdown handhelds. Real PC power in your palm.
Good luck.....:cool:

dmgedgoods
06-28-2007, 19:07
Got the NEC MobilePro today, and I must say I am impressed. For this cheap, it is a solid little machine.
I am still saving my money the handheld you mentioned.

SF_BHT
07-03-2007, 07:59
Just got the new 02 version of the OQO. Going out Thursday on an Opn to try it out. Vista is different but I think it will work out good with Falcon and Goggle with my GPS antenna. Thanks God that Uncle Sugar has deep pockets.:D

dmgedgoods
07-04-2007, 11:13
Just got the new 02 version of the OQO. Going out Thursday on an Opn to try it out. Vista is different but I think it will work out good with Falcon and Goggle with my GPS antenna. Thanks God that Uncle Sugar has deep pockets.:D

I sent an email to OQO asking about Linux on their machines. Vista is good stuff, but still buggy, and uses a large amount of memory for all the eye candy. Disable all the eye candy, IMHO, and that should be a solid machine.

Let me know how compatible Falcon, et al is in Vista; I am very interested to see how this machine handles in the real world.

Still saving my pennies....
McD

Guy
07-06-2007, 17:37
They live in Marin, out in Nicasio (2 houses actually). Small world :)They don't own it any more! Blackstone Group (http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/travel/2007-07-03-blackstone-hilton_N.htm?csp=34):munchin

Stay safe.

SF_BHT
07-07-2007, 15:11
Hope to get time next week to try out Vista and Falcon View.

dmgedgoods
07-07-2007, 15:35
They don't own it any more! Blackstone Group (http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/travel/2007-07-03-blackstone-hilton_N.htm?csp=34):munchin

Stay safe.

In fact, the Pritzkers never owned the Hilton chain. They are of Hyatt fame.

Off target, opps :o

Dominus_Potior
07-19-2007, 06:56

The OQO model 1 or 1+

I ordered one of these as soon as I read this post. I just got today. Let me say that besides being a little large, this thing is amazing with a capital zing.
Okay so I have only spent about 2 hours with it, so I could just be overly excited. Anyway, I have the Windows Vista, 1.5ghz, 1gb DDR 2 Ram extra expensive model. I am running multiple laptops with Vista that don't work as well with it as this. I'll be spending the rest of my workday playing with it and try to write a better review.

SF_BHT
07-19-2007, 07:02
Congrads... My new one is great also but I have been traveling and have not been able to play with it. They are good Real PC's.

Dominus_Potior
08-01-2007, 05:57
Okay, I've had this thing for almost 2 weeks. I initiately thought this was going to a replacement for my Dell Axim x30 (which I still love, is the best PocketPc for under $300). Anyway, I now realize that this is a replacement for my laptop and my Axim. Since I like this device so much let me start with the downfalls.

Downfalls: Windows Vista – there is no useful software for this OS currently. Programs that would be useful, like NERO, or PureEdge. But I don’t want this to be a review of Vista. It cracked open real easy when I dropped it. But I just snapped it back together.

The Good: Everything. It’s fast. The first week I tried to crash and destroy, then uninstalled Vista, something else that’s great, and installed XP Pro. The battery lasted about 8 hours with me playing music on iTunes, playing a movie in Windows media player, and the screen set as bright as possible. The greatest benchmark test, but it was good enough for me.

This week I’m going to try to dual boot linux (slackware, uClinux or Redhat not sure which one) with XP, and see how well VMware works on this. If you don’t have one of these and want a PDA, save your money and get one.

Rob

SF_BHT
08-01-2007, 07:31
Okay, I've had this thing for almost 2 weeks. I initiately thought this was going to a replacement for my Dell Axim x30 (which I still love, is the best PocketPc for under $300). Anyway, I now realize that this is a replacement for my laptop and my Axim. Since I like this device so much let me start with the downfalls.

Downfalls: Windows Vista – there is no useful software for this OS currently. Programs that would be useful, like NERO, or PureEdge. But I don’t want this to be a review of Vista. It cracked open real easy when I dropped it. But I just snapped it back together.

The Good: Everything. It’s fast. The first week I tried to crash and destroy, then uninstalled Vista, something else that’s great, and installed XP Pro. The battery lasted about 8 hours with me playing music on iTunes, playing a movie in Windows media player, and the screen set as bright as possible. The greatest benchmark test, but it was good enough for me.

This week I’m going to try to dual boot linux (slackware, uClinux or Redhat not sure which one) with XP, and see how well VMware works on this. If you don’t have one of these and want a PDA, save your money and get one.

Rob

Rob

Glad you liked it. I did not care for Vista for the same reasons and like you changed to XP. I noted this in my first post and still have not changed my mind until they get their act together with the long list of missing drivers.
I wish you many months (If you keep fropping it) or years of good hard use.

Dominus_Potior
08-03-2007, 05:52
I have put this thing through it's paces for real. I got linux on it. Installed Slackware 12.0 wasn't able to install the sound drivers, and openSUSE 10.2. openSUSE had the drivers for this. Haven't been able to dual boot it yet. I may order another one. Oh, and I realized - I am a nerd.

Rob

SF_BHT
08-03-2007, 06:28
I have put this thing through it's paces for real. I got linux on it. Installed Slackware 12.0 wasn't able to install the sound drivers, and openSUSE 10.2. openSUSE had the drivers for this. Haven't been able to dual boot it yet. I may order another one. Oh, and I realized - I am a nerd.

Rob
Rob Ok you said it not me!:p

Glad you like it. I have not done anything like you but I have put it through it's paces in the field. Good luck with it and I hope you do not blow it's mind with your bench test.:munchin

dmgedgoods
08-04-2007, 11:34

Rob

Is openSUSE running nicely? I have heard of bugs, at least with hardware compatibility, as you have mentioned with slackware, which is too bad...slackware is great. Maybe try Ubuntu? Dual booting XP Pro and Ubuntu has always been easier for me.
Are you running linux standalone, or is windows still on the machine? Always install windows first, then your linux distro...if you didn't already know :D

Keep updating...I am very interested in how well you get the machine running. This may influence my purchase of the same computer :munchin

Dominus_Potior
08-09-2007, 08:35
Is openSUSE running nicely? I have heard of bugs, at least with hardware compatibility, as you have mentioned with slackware, which is too bad...slackware is great. Maybe try Ubuntu? Dual booting XP Pro and Ubuntu has always been easier for me.
Are you running linux standalone, or is windows still on the machine? Always install windows first, then your linux distro...if you didn't already know :D

Keep updating...I am very interested in how well you get the machine running. This may influence my purchase of the same computer :munchin

I have installed all these distros, except Ubuntu, until now. openSUSE works well once you get the hang of it's minor quirks, it kept dismounting my DVD drive which is connected via USB. I don't know why. I was running linux standalone for a couple of days, trying different distros out. But this past Saturday I got Ubuntu(which I had just downloaded, thanks to you) and slackware to dual boot with XP pro. Haven't tried to do with openSUSE yet. I'm now trying to get VMware to load Ubuntu faster in XP, but the processor in this thing is not that fast. Another small downfall I've discovered. I still love it though. I planning trying some other things out today, later.

Rob

dmgedgoods
08-09-2007, 18:02
VMWare is hoggish on the memory, for obvious reasons. There is another approach, if you are still in dual boot hell.
Before SF_BHT brought OQO to my attention, I had just purchased a NEC MobilePro 900c. It is a stone-age brick, way back from 2003.
Bottom line, I have a small linux distro on my CompactFlash card (1 gb), and run Windows CE natively. As with VMWare, I load windows normally, then proceed to load my linux distro.
Perhaps this train of thought might be able to get you around the lag that VMWare brings to your machine.
Also...there is a smaller sized, less intrusive VMWare-like loader that somebody developed specifically for handhelds. I used it to install a base version of windows 2000 on an old machine. Names escape me at the moment.
I will look around my so-called office and try to dig up some stuff, if you still need the help.

McD

Dominus_Potior
08-09-2007, 23:37
That would help a lot. I took off Ubuntu and SuSE 10. Fully updated SuSE, and I'm loving it. Yast is great. If you find the name of the VMware alernate please let me know.

Dominus_Potior
08-11-2007, 04:54
Okay, just found out that the people at OQO's customer service don't like me. I've called 2 twice asking for help on replacing the BIOS, installing linux or OS X, on this thing, and their just not as supportive of heavily modifing their product as I would have guess. :D Or it could be that Samantha doesn't know RAM from ROM. I'll be calling again today.

The Reaper
08-11-2007, 07:54
Okay, just found out that the people at OQO's customer service don't like me. I've called 2 twice asking for help on replacing the BIOS, installing linux or OS X, on this thing, and their just not as supportive of heavily modifing their product as I would have guess. :D Or it could be that Samantha doesn't know RAM from ROM. I'll be calling again today.

At least you got a Samantha, and not a Satish.

I really resent companies with overseas service support staffed by people who can barely be understood, reading instructions to me out of a book.

TR

dmgedgoods
08-25-2007, 22:42
The only alternative I have found for VMWare is called Xen. It is not the same loader that I used on my NEC, but it should provide you with a, opensource, free alternative for VMWare. Google it, something should follow. I have come across a lot of information about Linux on the 01 machines. Maybe something along those lines may help you with your hardware issue? Seems like hardware is the speedbump that is stopping linux from functioning perfect on OQO machines. I know most machines that run Vista these days are more than prepared for linux. It seems to be drivers that cause the hang-ups most of the time, and driver hacking is an intense process. Not worth turning your 02 into a 1200 dollar paperweight.
If OpenSUSE is working well, keep on it, I suppose. Tinkering with expensive machines and hardware is fun, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

McD

SF_BHT
08-26-2007, 19:16
The only alternative I have found for VMWare is called Xen. It is not the same loader that I used on my NEC, but it should provide you with a, opensource, free alternative for VMWare. Google it, something should follow. I have come across a lot of information about Linux on the 01 machines. Maybe something along those lines may help you with your hardware issue? Seems like hardware is the speedbump that is stopping linux from functioning perfect on OQO machines. I know most machines that run Vista these days are more than prepared for linux. It seems to be drivers that cause the hang-ups most of the time, and driver hacking is an intense process. Not worth turning your 02 into a 1200 dollar paperweight.
If OpenSUSE is working well, keep on it, I suppose. Tinkering with expensive machines and hardware is fun, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

McD

You know some people just have to Tinker with it. I too hope it does not turn into a paper weight. Just got back from a Opn with mine and it survived another River Run in the Amazon. I like it better and better each outing. PS: mine is still factory specs just added my software.

x-factor
08-26-2007, 19:30
SF_BHT - 60GB isn't a very big hard drive. How much map data are you carrying? Can it handle/have you ever tried running streaming video through it?

SF_BHT
08-26-2007, 19:53
I use a 100GB (Model# USBFLB100) or 160GB external USB HD for the map data. It is small and fits in the palm of my hand. It is powered by the USB cable so you do not need any additional power. Look at some of my earlier post and I listed them (FireLight) Really good and they have a good hard casing. There are others that SmartDisk makes but they are big and need power.

I am now doing some IP cameras and I do log remotely and stream the video. It does OK but is limited by the connection not the hardware.

dmgedgoods
08-27-2007, 18:47
You know some people just have to Tinker with it. I too hope it does not turn into a paper weight. Just got back from a Opn with mine and it survived another River Run in the Amazon. I like it better and better each outing. PS: mine is still factory specs just added my software.

That is good news to hear. That alone (durability) is tempting me to buy one.
Factory specs, i.e. Windows XP? After reading the old posts, that is what I assume.
Thanks for the durability update,

Shawn