PDA

View Full Version : H-Class Tanto... Bill's new great blade

PiterM
06-17-2007, 23:44
I played a little bit with my H-Class Tanto past weekend. And believe me, this is one of the very best tanto designs I've ever seen! Thanks to the smooth, slightly curved transition point (from primary edge to the point-edge) it's able to do any outdoor job - except perhaps skinning, but who'd be crazy enough to take tactical tanto for a whitetail hunt :munchin

BTW Bill, nice shadow-cam pattern on the blade... blends really nicely with green foliage as you can see. And skull crasher... man, this is baaaaad :eek:

So for you pleasure just couple of shots of my new cool tool.

PiterM
06-17-2007, 23:47
And some more...

Bill Harsey
06-18-2007, 10:43
Piter,
Thanks for the posting the pics here.
"Shadow Cam" will be continued as I just got more of the 3-M resist for doing the sandblasted pattern work.

Smokin Joe
06-18-2007, 11:43
My god, that is a beatiful blade.

Very well done Bill (yet again).

C0B2A
06-18-2007, 12:48
Beautiful work! I would love to get my hands on one of these.

kgoerz
06-18-2007, 17:27
Every time I see the 11.5" BT-SS I start reaching for the Credit card. Anyone else see the Strider drop leg carrier they sell at Blue line Gear. It's a great set up. But they only sell it with the Knife there.

militarymoron
06-19-2007, 10:27
:dreamy sigh: - i bet that knife works as well as it looks. that's a GREAT looking knife, bill.

x SF med
06-29-2007, 10:00
I got a peek at the Tanto in Bill's shop about a month ago - finished and in process - still drooling and figuring out how to sneak one into the house past the significant other without her stealing it.

Bill, I may drop by next weekend, we'll be over at the Gunboy's for a BBQ - We found some really great Huckeberry Habanero BBQ sauce in Montana and I want to test it on him.

PiterM
07-30-2007, 17:06
Beer, Bill's blade, wild mountains... what else do you need? :D

FYI: pic's taken during my 2 week MTB / mountaneering trip in Polish mountains Bieszczady... huge & wild area...

Buffalobob
07-30-2007, 18:36
I am not a big fan of tanto blades but that is a very nice shape and design.

x SF med
07-30-2007, 18:44
Bill,
What, no BD package in the mail from you? I'm heartbroken. I thought I'd at least get one of these H-Tantos.:(

HOLLiS
07-30-2007, 18:50
I got a peek at the Tanto in Bill's shop about a month ago - finished and in process - still drooling and figuring out how to sneak one into the house past the significant other without her stealing it.

Sounds like Operation Knife Liberation is in order?

Pssst Tell her, that team discipline needs to be practiced at all time.

Bill Harsey
07-31-2007, 08:34
I am not a big fan of tanto blades but that is a very nice shape and design.
Usually I'm not either but I'm willing to make an exception once in a while.
Thanks for the kind words.

Advantage of a tanto type blade is more steel in the tip lending it to last longer when used to pierce tough stuff and prying. Around here it's just called the "breaking knife".

Witness Piter's is still in one piece, so far.

CPTAUSRET
07-31-2007, 08:39
Brother Bill:

Nice work!

azmg
08-03-2007, 22:56
Nice blade and where might one pick this up?

Ambush Master
08-04-2007, 07:27
Nice blade and where might one pick this up?

A start would be to PM Bill with your requests!!

PiterM
08-06-2007, 16:29
My personal Holy Grail has been just kydexed... by myself of course! :cool:

signedknife
08-06-2007, 16:39
Piter
Your Kydex work is great. I had a look at the sheath you made for the A/F folder fantastic !!
Thanks Bryan

Casket
08-17-2007, 16:43
Where’d the name “H-Class Tanto” come from?

I thought that knife was going to be called something else.

Gary

Trip_Wire (RIP)
08-17-2007, 17:09
Usually I'm not either but I'm willing to make an exception once in a while.
Thanks for the kind words.

Advantage of a tanto type blade is more steel in the tip lending it to last longer when used to pierce tough stuff and prying. Around here it's just called the "breaking knife".

Witness Piter's is still in one piece, so far.

it's a nice looking knife Bill.

I suspect the Tanto blade will pierce soft body armor better too. :lifter

Bill Harsey
08-18-2007, 10:23
Where’d the name “H-Class Tanto” come from?

I thought that knife was going to be called something else.

Gary
"H-Class" refers to a particular grade of work as in the best custom shop work I can do, here by myself.
The Operation name for the tanto project is close hold.

Casket
08-19-2007, 00:02
Roger that Mr. Harsey.

Thanks for the clarification.

Gary

Claemore
10-03-2007, 20:24
This is my favorite of your fixed blades, Mr. Harsey. Beautiful knife!

PiterM
01-03-2011, 12:20
Just an update... enjoy!

Barbarian
01-04-2011, 08:43
VERY nice pic, Piter.

Mr. Harsey, I believe the tanto blades made by you and the late Mr Bob Lum are less angular, and a far superior design to most of the generic tantos one normally sees everywhere. Exquisite piece of work.

Bill Harsey
01-04-2011, 09:57
VERY nice pic, Piter.

Mr. Harsey, I believe the tanto blades made by you and the late Mr Bob Lum are less angular, and a far superior design to most of the generic tantos one normally sees everywhere. Exquisite piece of work.

Barbarian,
Thanks.
I don't know if I've written this here before and I'm not going to try searching either but here it is:

The word "tanto" in Japanese swords refers to an edged weapon with a blade length that converted from Japan measurement to United States Customary Units had a blade length of between 6 and 12 inches.

There is no definition of a particular blade shape or point type and I have seen and handled many Japanese tantos from modern to 700 years before present.
None of these had the abrupt chisel point that has become popular.

Ken Brock
01-08-2011, 21:01
that Mr. Harsey does some very nice work