PDA

View Full Version : Happy Father's Day!

Gypsy
06-17-2007, 08:12
Happy Father's Day to all the daddies! Special thoughts to those dads that are deployed, or have loved ones deployed.

ello
06-17-2007, 09:06
Happy Fathers Day x2, thanks for raising some fine men and women. :lifter

-Oliver/ello

Mav
06-17-2007, 09:31
Happy Father's Day :)

bandycpa
06-17-2007, 09:56
Happy Father's Day, gentlemen.

My sons got a book for me called "Dad-isms: What he says, and what he really means". Sure enough, I've used a lot of the aphorisms listed, such as:

"Walk it off."
"A little dirt never hurt anybody"
"Anything worth doing is worth doing right."
"Whatever it is, the answer is 'no'".
"You throw like a girl." (sorry ladies, but it was true. The book says that even girls don't want to throw like girls).
"We're making good time."
"Don't take any wooden nickels."
"You can do anything if you set your mind to it." (spoken while Dad had us doing PT in the front yard. He is an ex-Marine after all)

and my favorite,

"That'll put hair on your chest." :D

Of course, our Dad's / Father Figures passed these (and many more bits of wisdom) down to us through the years. The payoff is when we say these same things to our kids, and then smile a little when we realize where we've heard that before.

Thanks, Dad.

Bandy

Roycroft201
06-17-2007, 10:01
Happy Father's Day to all our dads here at PS.com.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
06-17-2007, 11:11
My Daughter Cathy, has invited me over to her house for dinner today. My son and his family are also invited.

The menu will be tri-tip beef and fresh mussels in red sauce, baked potatoes, salad, hot rolls and lots of red wine!

I'm sure there will also be lots of good cake and ice cream for dessert!

I'm sure we'll all reflect, on the two children (Daughters) that will not be there with us. One lost at an early age from cystic fibrosis and the other from drugs in her 30's.

Happy Fathers day to all!
:D

The Reaper
06-17-2007, 17:44
Thanks Dad, for everything.

Wish you were here with us to celebrate with your grandkids, but I know you are watching.

Happy Father's Day!

TR

82ndtrooper
06-17-2007, 18:23
Like the The Reaper I to want to thank my father for taking the time to actually be a father. The smallest of virtues were taught and instilled by his actions not his words. My father never in all of my adult life left me out of being invited to each and every afternoon or morning of golfing. If he couldn't play with me he often opted to wait for the weekend. Thanks dad for showing me how to actually use the sand wedge and follow through and showing me the "golf courtesy" necessary to win respect when playing with others. That golf eticate led to other virtues in life that have stayed with me.

I have two sons, one of which is in Va Beach and one of which is still with me(15 years old. He bought me a Gerber Multi Tool (Suspension) and we spent this morning and afternoon on a canoeing trip down Little Miami River in Indiana just about 40 mintues up the road from Cincinnati.

We packed a cooler, I wore my new Merrel Chamelian lows and he wore the same that I bought him this morning at Dicks Sporting Goods. I wore a 100 Oz Hydrastorm filled with Gatorade and he wore his life jacket. We both sported the Wiley X Romers. I took along a couple of pairs of Hatch Opertors just in case the hands started to get a bit blistered. (We're both wimps in training) The Merrels are now out on the deck sun drying.

We've had some decent rain up here so the river was instructed as fast and deep in certain areas. The Livery guide gave us a map of the areas that were most hazardus and instructed us on how to stay on either side of the danger areas. We latched the cooler in the middle of the canoe with 550 cord. We had Cokes and Pepsi's, cold cut meats, bread, cans of potted meat and crakers in water tight bags, and a medical kit. I also stuck two MRE's in the cooler just for kicks. We wound up eating gthe MRE's leaving the cold cuts and snacks for tonight.

The river was fast. Not class II or III, but fast enought to be fun and require some effort on my part in the rear of the canoe to seer and back steer when we got headed into danger area. My son caught on quick how to get the best out of his paddle by digging deep and using his entire upper body to stroke the strong paddles strokes.

We fininshed the a 12 miler in about 7.5 hours with many breaks to enjoy just swimming in the deeper parts. There is actually a strong rope on the of the berms that we swang off of into the deepest part of the river over our 12 miles

It was a great day for both us.

P.S My other son in Va Beach sent me a Black Hawk CQC Serpa leg holster that Keith Goerz had sent me pictures of . Keith, it's exactly as you said it would and requires a bit practice with the SERPA retention system.