PDA

View Full Version : Pineland Appreciation Day and Camp MacKall

The Reaper
06-02-2007, 14:45
Today was Pineland Appreciation Day (PAD) at Camp MacKall.

If you have not been there lately, and I mean the past year or two, you would be amazed.

The ceremony was great, familiar faces were seen, the food was good, and there was plenty of entertainment for kids of all ages. Thanks SWCS!

First the PAD shots. Awards from SWCS and the SFA to significant Pineland Defense Force players, Mod demo weapons table, the SOF Recruiting simulation trailer was there, where else can kids put their hands on a live M1 Thompson and run the M240 on an uparmored HMMWV?

TR

The Reaper
06-02-2007, 14:49
More PAD shots.

The PDF was issuing photos and dog tags, the climbing wall and air walks were there, you could crawl all over the CG's UH-60, police all of the expended blanks a boy could want, and play on a WW II surplus gun mount.

TR

The Reaper
06-02-2007, 14:52
The UH-60 took off, conducted a fast rope infil in front of the attendees and the current Phase II class, and the Pinelanders got cool shorts and hats.

TR

The Reaper
06-02-2007, 14:54
Finally, despite low ceilings, the USASOC Command Parachuter Team put on a nice demo to close the ceremonies.

Hope you enjoyed the show.

TR

Ambush Master
06-02-2007, 15:00
That's cool. Did any of the parents of this last graduating class get to see it??

The Reaper
06-02-2007, 15:07
That's cool. Did any of the parents of this last graduating class get to see it??

Not sure, but unless they were locals, they probably didn't stay or get invited.

Hey, for those of us who lived in the tarpaper shacks and tin huts out at MacKall, the changes, they are a comin'.

The old, temporary, low dollar CMK, even with the million dollar shitter, is rapidly going away. The new construction is massive, expensive, and permanent. Well, except for Doc Keeton's med facility, and the pavillion.

Out with the old....

TR

The Reaper
06-02-2007, 15:10
And in with the new....

I guess some of the massive USASOC MILCON money has trickled down to SF after all, though there are large numbers of Phase II and other students still in the tents.

There is a new DFAC, office spaces, classroom buildings, and ISOFACs.

TR

The Reaper
06-02-2007, 15:14
THe rappel tower is gone, and the C-130 static training fuselage is on the old helipad. Middle pic is the view along the south side of the compound, looking east, up A Team Road.

But the Rock with COL Rowe's dedication remains. As it should. Always.

That's all folks.:D

TR

7624U
06-02-2007, 15:15
What no pic's of the phase II tent's lol... also a new repel tower is in the works over by the PT pit.

Ambush Master
06-02-2007, 15:36
Not sure, but unless they were locals, they probably didn't stay or get invited.

Hey, for those of us who lived in the tarpaper shacks and tin huts out at MacKall, the changes, they are a comin'.

The old, temporary, low dollar CMK, even with the million dollar shitter, is rapidly going away. The new construction is massive, expensive, and permanent. Well, except for Doc Keeton's med facility, and the pavillion.

Out with the old....

TR

We lived in GP Tents and the Tarpaper Shacks were the Classrooms!!

Pete
06-02-2007, 15:55
We lived in GP Tents and the Tarpaper Shacks were the Classrooms!!

Glad to see somebody else remembers us students living in GP Mediums. The two large tar paper shacks that were the classrooms and about 3 or so for the head shed, supply and something else.

The "kitchen" was in back of the eastern classroom. Two big burners, two big pots and a room full of C-Rats. The cooking detail was easy, count out the required number of Cs, pull all the main meals and put them in the pots, fill with water and bring to a boil. As the water is heating put all the C meal boxes upside down in the cases. As the students file by they grab a box and are handed a hot meal can. Repeat 3 times a day, seven days a week except when you were in the field.

I only got one hot A while I was out there. I think it was in between survival training and the FTX somewhere.

Pete

Hipshot
06-02-2007, 17:35
Boy, do those guys have it easy! I remember the GP Medium tents, the tar paper classrooms, singing Ballad of the Green Berets every morning before class, getting up at 0430 for PT runs with the ever present ambulance following to take those who fell out up to the 82nd. Climbing the pine tree for the slide-for-life (swaying every time someone took off down the cable) - dropping into the water and looking forward to it because the water was warmer than the outside air temperature.

Pete - you had to mention chow! It seemed that every time I went through the chow line, I drew Ham and Lima Beans! No wonder I lost 47 pounds in 26 days! To this day I can not stand Lima beans. Beans and franks were OK, but ham slices with potato's and gravy would gag a maggot. We would kill for pound cake or even the canned bread. John Wayne cookies (crackers) with cheese (caraway seed oil) were an 'acquired' taste.

Thinking back - those were good days!

By the way - Great pictures, Reaper - Thanks...

lksteve
06-02-2007, 18:44
The two large tar paper shacks that were the classrooms and about 3 or so for the head shed, supply and something else. yeah, but you're vintage...:D

Gypsy
06-02-2007, 20:33
Great pictures, thanks TR!

72_Wilderness
06-02-2007, 21:54
Even in four months a lot has changed out there. The work is defiantly going along quickly out there.

Oh and I don't think you are doing the med shed justice, TR. That is about the best angle you could get on it! You didn't show the roof literally falling off. :eek:

BMT (RIP)
06-03-2007, 02:39
The very first group lived in pup tents!!! :D

BMT

Pete
06-03-2007, 02:59
Heres another article and a few more pictures.

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=263976

Whats the big building?

Pete

incommin
06-03-2007, 06:19
My memory is getting terrible. But back in the early-mid 60's, wasn't the only physical structure at MacKall an old lodge of some kind and some concrete slabs to pitch tents over....... it was the place where we had our graduation party....

Jim

Pete
06-03-2007, 06:39
My memory is getting terrible. But back in the early-mid 60's, wasn't the only physical structure at MacKall an old lodge of some kind and some concrete slabs to pitch tents over....... it was the place where we had our graduation party....

Jim

IIRC the old lodge became the Ranger (?) station and was about 1/2 +/- mile or so SSW of the camp on the way to one of the lakes (ponds).

The concrete slabs were the old rail yard/supply point during WW II. It was a short spur off the CSX line that runs between Pinebluff and Hamlet. Remember the bridge going over the RR line on the way out to Hwy 1 and Jacks? The same type yards can be seen at Ft Bragg just south/east of the main Post PX Complex, the old CIF area except it still has the old warehouse buildings.

The Delorme maping program still shows the old WW II road system for Camp MacKall.

The Reaper
06-03-2007, 06:51
Heres another article and a few more pictures.

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=263976

Whats the big building?

Pete

The building in the background of the photo is support troop and cadre billeting. Since they are out at CMK for extended periods on taskings, and the drivers include significant numbers of females, they need a decent place to live that is secure. There may be some offfices there as well.

The old Ranger station is down by Mossgill Lake and was improved by Dick Couch when he lived there while writing his book. Across the lake is the installation offices located in one of the old CMK VIP quarters. Lowell Stevens (Son Tay Raider) operates out of that structure and knows more about CMK than any man alive.

HTH.

TR

Ambush Master
06-03-2007, 10:43
The building in the background of the photo is support troop and cadre billeting. Since they are out at CMK for extended periods on taskings, and the drivers include significant numbers of females, they need a decent place to live that is secure. There may be some offfices there as well.

The old Ranger station is down by Mossgill Lake and was improved by Dick Couch when he lived there while writing his book. Across the lake is the installation offices located in one of the old CMK VIP quarters. Lowell Stevens (Son Tay Raider) operates out of that structure and knows more about CMK than any man alive.

HTH.

TR

IIRC, Lowell was one of the "Covey Riders" at CCC during the same time as John Plaster.

Form another post that I made a while back:

I didn't even "DISCOVER" woobies until I got to VIETNAM!!!!

I will say that I have not been without them eversince!!!

Hell, we were just grateful for the Immersion Heaters in the G-Cans to sterilize our Mess-Kits and heat up the C-Rats for Breakfast so we could eat them around the BURNING SHIT BARRELS that came from under the latrines!!!

Seriously, if you wanted water in the morning, you slept with a canteen inside of your bag. If you left it outside of the "bag", it would be frozen solid!!! We were in GP-Medium or GP-Large tents with an oil fired heater that glowed cherry red all NIGHT, but it would still freeze water inside the tent that was left in the open.

(I graduated the then Phase I, December, 1969, and went home for X-Mas before my MOS class.)

Best to 'ya!!

Martin

blustr18b
06-03-2007, 11:11
Great Photos, TR. Last time I was at Bragg, he gave me the 25cent tour of Camp MacKall....the road, dining area, walk by the Nasty Nick and back out..it was just before SERE training for him. That was almost 18 months ago. So, thank you. Now I can see alittle more! It looks like quite a nice day. He had some good stories about the "Pinelanders".
blustr18b

FearMonkey
06-03-2007, 11:26
It's a little weird seeing pictures of families running around MacKall. It looked like a great event, though. I bet the current classes managed to somehow score some good chow out of the festivities. ;)

chance
06-03-2007, 12:45
WOW!!! Camp Mackall has really changed since I went to SFAS.

kgoerz
06-03-2007, 15:00
WOW!!! Camp Mackall has really changed since I went to SFAS.

Now you can say..... back when it was hard.

Shame I had to miss all of that. Only 15 minutes from the house. I know a few of the people who do the Auxiliary work. Give them stuff all the time. Some really dedicated people with a lot of history behind them.
One of them lives right up the road from me. He collects old and Foreign Uniforms/equipment. He has a bunch of Mannequins set up in his garage wearing the uniforms. Pretty interesting. He is a retired COL. SF. One of these days ill get his last name.
NDD gave me a hand made Back Pack taken off a FARC Member. Ill give it to him when I get home. Of course the story of how I got it will change:cool:
I took my parents out there a couple of times when they visited. We are use to Camp Mackall. But Civilians are always impressed that such an important training facility is out in the middle of nowhere. It adds to the term Quit Professionals.
The History is interesting. If they don't have one already. They should have a little museum set up for visitors. Document the History of Camp Mackall. I love finding the old M1 clips out in the woods. My kid found one full of rounds that was encased in rust and mud. Is there anything on line that covers the history of that area? What units trained there....etc?
I'm getting a job on Bragg, missing out on to much with this overseas crap.
I heard they were hiring a bunch of GS Instructors to work at Range 37. Doing away with the contract Instructors. Good move if you ask me. Anyone hear this. Temporary contractors just aren't going to invest personal time to research/improve the training. Like a permanent Instructor would.

The Reaper
06-03-2007, 16:21
If you go see Lowell, he will tell you more about the Camp than you really want to know.

He has some nice items on display as well.

I stopped in one day top get some directions and two hours were gone before I knew it. Had a ball.

TR

incommin
06-03-2007, 17:29
IIRC the old lodge became the Ranger (?) station and was about 1/2 +/- mile or so SSW of the camp on the way to one of the lakes (ponds).

The concrete slabs were the old rail yard/supply point during WW II. It was a short spur off the CSX line that runs between Pinebluff and Hamlet. Remember the bridge going over the RR line on the way out to Hwy 1 and Jacks? The same type yards can be seen at Ft Bragg just south/east of the main Post PX Complex, the old CIF area except it still has the old warehouse buildings.

The Delorme maping program still shows the old WW II road system for Camp MacKall.

Thanks for the info, Pete. Those were great photo's, TR..... thanks to everyone for keeping us old and far away folks updated......and it is nice to know that Pineland is becoming more "civilized"!

Jim

Jim

kgoerz
06-03-2007, 18:44
If you go see Lowell, he will tell you more about the Camp than you really want to know.

I stopped in one day top get some directions and two hours were gone before I knew it. Had a ball.

TR

Will have to stop by there one day. If I take another three months off this winter I will have to volunteer for the Auxiliary. Another three months off and ill lose it.

x SF med
06-04-2007, 09:04
Well, I guess we had it good when we went threough, huh, TR, TS, NDD we got to live in the 'half cans' those old quonsets that captured every odor from Phase I... I would love to see how far CMK has come since I was last out there in the dark ages.

incommin
06-04-2007, 10:53
Well, I guess we had it good when we went threough, huh, TR, TS, NDD we got to live in the 'half cans' those old quonsets that captured every odor from Phase I... I would love to see how far CMK has come since I was last out there in the dark ages.

How come you got to live in old quonset huts??????? I got to live in a freaking shelter half or GP medium!

Jim

x SF med
06-04-2007, 11:29
How come you got to live in old quonset huts??????? I got to live in a freaking shelter half or GP medium!

Jim

Just lucky, I guess - August in a Quonset Hut at CMK - I'll take a GP Med for $100, Alex - you can roll the sides up...

kgoerz
06-10-2007, 18:17
Here is a link with some history and photos. Google has a ton of similar links.
http://www.bragg.army.mil/18abn/CampMackall.htm

SF_BHT
06-11-2007, 05:29
Boy things have changed, Guess I am starting to get old. Tar Shacks and Huts look like the Stone age now. They never had to worry about us getting sick because of the AC back then.... Also a lot easier to clean. Bet they do not have to do Fire Watch either on the old stoves....

Mosby Raider
07-02-2007, 20:04
I went through Phase I in April 73. We only got one hot C-rat a day, but they did mermite out hot A's the day before we left for the patrolling FTX. We also had to do pull ups before every meal. We slept in GP mediums that were erected over wooden frames and pulled guard duty at night patrolling the concertina wire perimeter with a locked and loaded 12 GA. pump.

Mosby Raider

whitesnake
07-04-2007, 07:21
I went through Phase I in April 73. We only got one hot C-rat a day, but they did mermite out hot A's the day before we left for the patrolling FTX. We also had to do pull ups before every meal. We slept in GP mediums that were erected over wooden frames and pulled guard duty at night patrolling the concertina wire perimeter with a locked and loaded 12 GA. pump.

Mosby Raider

In August of 1969, it was spartan at best. GP-Mediums on concrete slabs,tar paper shacks, shitburning 55 gallon drums cut in halfand the rapelling tower. With the exception of survival training when we killed a goat, I don't remember hot A's at all.However,I do remember SFC "Duke" Synder bieng on my butt every day until graduation.
But then again, ours was the last hard class. (OK, bring it on !!)

7624U
07-09-2007, 16:31

TR

Make sure you have atleast 2-3 hours if you sit down and talk to Lowell ;)
He is a wealth of information about Airborne and SF history.
Lowell just turned 66 yesterday Happy Birthday Lowell !!!

JCasp
07-10-2007, 23:58
I had no idea Mackall was so builtup, only went through there twice but it was always night jumps with a follow on. Never even thought to take a ride out there off duty sometime sightseeing, would have been neat if they still had some of the old WWII Airborne relics around. Aye how I miss Bragg, heh. What is the ceremony for if I may ask?