PDA

View Full Version : SOCOM Medal

Dan
05-31-2007, 17:44
General Doug Brown, commander, U.S. Special Operations Command, presents the SOCOM Medal to Lt. Gen. William P. Tangney, U.S. Army, retired, during a ceremony May 29 at the Airborne and Special Operations Museum, Fayetteville, N.C. The SOCOM Medal honors individuals who have made significant contributions to the defense of the United States through Special Operations during either times of war or in times of peace. (Photo by Gillian M. Albro, USASOC PAO)

NousDefionsDoc
05-31-2007, 18:01
Please tell the boys and girls who the General is Dan.

Monsoon65
05-31-2007, 19:29
I did a quick Google search, but would like to hear more about Gen Tangney. Sounds like he had quite the career and I know I barely scratched the surface.

SF_BHT
06-02-2007, 12:38
Old Tagney shure has put on the weight. He is a Old warrior but a dedicated one.

Radar Rider
06-02-2007, 13:35
I worked in the SF Command HQ (G-2) when General Tangney was in charge. He was a no shit leader that relied on his staff. As an SFC (at the time) I appreciated that he listened to me.

The Reaper
06-02-2007, 13:40
Old Tagney shure has put on the weight. He is a Old warrior but a dedicated one.

I noticed that too, but Prednisone will that to you when you are really sick.

I first knew him as a Major when we worked together, he had a rep as being quick with the UCMJ.

TR

Pete
06-02-2007, 13:57
I did a quick Google search, but would like to hear more about Gen Tangney. Sounds like he had quite the career and I know I barely scratched the surface.

He was my Battalion Commander in 3/5th. I'd rank him right under H. Davis as a Battalion Commander. Of course I got to serve under H. Davis as the Group Commander also. No complaints from me on either of them.

I was always a bit bemused by the way morale in a battalion could go up or down based on who was behind the silver leaf. Of all the positions at Company, Battalion and Group I think the BC impacted morale the most.

Pete

Lucky to have a great number of really good commanders over the years.

NousDefionsDoc
06-02-2007, 18:38
I read somewhere that he was the highest ranking SOG man on AD?

The Reaper
06-02-2007, 18:52
I read somewhere that he was the highest ranking SOG man on AD?

He was when he retired.

Then I think it was Bargewell.

Now it may be down to COL Farr, and a couple more holdouts.

TR

SF_BHT
06-09-2007, 15:22
We called him Article Bill Tagney for just that reason for being fast with the UCMJ. He changed a lot in his older years. He still could never hold a candle to H. Davis. Darn this brings back memories. Have not thought of them in a while.

I hated it when we were left behind by Group and they made us the 1/3 SFG.

Logan
06-19-2007, 09:41
I Worked for him as a LTC and dealt with him as a Gen. Although he would try to listen he often had made his decision before he ever solicited your advice, sound familiar...
Many folks especially Captains were scared around him because he would go after you hard if you screwed up. Didn't leave room for mistakes. Good leaders used mistake to make you grow. I remember him using mistake to ruin your career. Maybe that was only my narrow perspective of him but I don't think of him and being particularly a great leader.
Good for him that he did get recognized for the things he did.
Always had that red face , you never new if he was pissed at you or what.

MSF204
06-25-2007, 09:14
I worked with then CPT Tangney in 73-75 period. He was okay but i thought he was a bit stuffy. I remember him telling me he was considering getting out of the Army because he did not care for the peace time Army. To much BS and no excitement. I guess he didn't get out.

mswilliams
06-26-2007, 07:42
Wild Bill was also my battalion Commander, he took over from Bob Jacobelly, which was a culture shock in and of itself. Took a while to get use to him, I even got a letter of reprimand from him. I was a young 1LT team leader at the time and deserved it. One thing though, the man never forgot a name or a face. I ran into him years later in Pakistan, I had a full beard and long hair and he recognized me right off, remembered my wife and kids names and everything.

Pete
06-26-2007, 08:12
.... I even got a letter of reprimand from him......

Hmmm...... Makes me think you made the fateful trip to Orro Grande' under LTC Jacobelly. Plenty of paper on reprimands and relief for cause floating around after that trip. Got one of each my own darn self. I remember the quote as they were pushed over the desk for me to sign "I hope these don't hurt your chances for promotion."

Good thing Forest K. was the Group CSM.

I know the whole story, all sides, and will only tell it at the GB Club.

Pete

The Reaper
06-26-2007, 08:43
Jacobelly was a decent Group Commander, IMHO.

He followed the Wag, who was a vast improvement over the Perkolator. Wag also had a beautiful war bride as well. Great man.

TR

Pete
06-26-2007, 09:03
Jacobelly was a decent Group Commander, IMHO.

He followed the Wag, who was a vast improvement over the Perkolator. Wag also had a beautiful war bride as well. Great man.

TR

This thread again shows that a person's view of another is based on their interactions with each other in a given point in time.

Even with a Battalion Commander, two individuals perceptions of the Commander can be very different and based on what they, their team and Company were doing under that BC.

mojaveman
02-11-2009, 11:43
Knew him too as my BN CO in '85-'86.

The Reaper
02-11-2009, 12:10
Knew him too as my BN CO in '85-'86. I thought he was very intelligent but strict. It's kind of funny seeing him so heavy because he tried to throw our BN COM NCOIC out of the Army for being overweight. True story. LOL!

LTG (R) Tangney is on steroids as treatment for some condition.

Not a fan of his, but that is the deal with his size.

TR