PDA

View Full Version : New custom fixed blade... made by my friend Bona

PiterM
05-29-2007, 15:33
Just wanted to show you one of the nicest utility knives I've got recently. This one has been made by Polish maker Bona to my specifications. Almost 6" blade, 5" handle, micarta scales, hollow grind. Kydex... well, that's my own creation. Also I asked for a 450grit satin finish and you can see it in the last pic.

Why I show this? No idea... most probably I just like the knife. And it looks like a blade one could really use in the field.

See some of you next week in ATL :munchin

Bill Harsey
05-29-2007, 19:20
Piter,
That's a good looking knife. What is it made from?

For those who may not have had the correct "international studies", Poland has a long history of very good metalworking.

Ambush Master
05-29-2007, 20:08
See some of you next week in ATL :munchin

Looking forward to it!!!:D :munchin

PiterM
05-30-2007, 00:16
Bill, thanks. The steel is D2, which is one of the most popular among good knifemakers here. Also because the heat treating is not as complicated as S30V and the results are more than good. Some people (Bob Dozier school?) believe D2 is best compromise between edge holding, toughness & stainless (semi). Anyway, it's one of the knives I'll bring with me to Atlanta to show to some of you... this is really nicely made.

Razor
05-31-2007, 10:35
Pitr, I'm interested in the reasoning behind the specifications you developed for this knife, if you have the time to explain them.

PiterM
05-31-2007, 13:16
This knife is bigger than it looks. 6" (a bit more maybe) blade is just about perfect for outdoor EDC. Grinds... well, I like nice hollow grinds. Jim Siska kind of. Plus this kind of grind works well. Handle is nothing but classic shape, mastered by makres such as Loveless. And why big 5" handle? Well... that I can't tell today (I will next week).

BTW, Razor, any chance to meet you next week in ATL?