View Full Version : SOG Knives...

Smisson
05-28-2007, 17:59
What do ya'll think of the SEAL

The Reaper
05-28-2007, 18:04
I don't.

I think a knife is a tool to be used.

If it is a decent design and is well made of quality materials, it is mission capable. At a certain experience level, it might matter.

If you are the sort of young man who thinks that buying $200 sneakers will make you fly like Mike, then knock yourself out.

TR

Smisson
05-28-2007, 18:14
I don't.

I think a knife is a tool to be used.

If it is a decent design and is well made of quality materials, it is mission capable. At a certain experience level, it might matter.

If you are the sort of young man who thinks that buying $200 sneakers will make you fly like Mike, then knock yourself out.

TR

No sir, I am not that sort of young man. What do you think of Cold Steel knives then ;) ? Also, I plan on using my military issued knife for all tool-related jobs, this would be a fighting knife.

Also, not challenging you sir, but I was thinking the same as this man,

"I have also seen, especially recently, people complaining about the prices of weapons and equipment, settling for less than what they need because of cost or trying to "bargain" for a better deal.

With furniture or a used car, that's fine and I'm all for getting the best possible deal and not wasting anything needlessly.

But think about it for a minute. These are the tools of your trade. You are betting your life on them. Do you really want to buy your Body Armor from Crazy Eddie who just went insane and slashed prices?

Do you want to be running through the streets of Bagdead in front of your principle and have your assault pack dump your Kit Kat bars all over the street because you got it for $10 less than the good one?

I would imagine that the Samurai, Roman soldiers, etc., probably spent every last dime they had on the best swords and armor they could find. They knew they were going into battle and soon.

Well guess what?

If you want to save money, do it somewhere else. When it comes to your kit and weapons, don't scrimp. Get the best, pay for it, and when you get back, thank the maker for his pride and professionalism." -NousDefionsDoc

NousDefionsDoc
05-28-2007, 18:35
Mr. Smisson,
You have done well so far. You filled in your profile and posted an adequate introduction. And now you go and do this. Stop poking the wasp's nest with sticks.

Read son, read. There is enough material on this board to keep you busy for at least two weeks.

And leave The Reaper alone. He's been in a bad mood since before you were born.

NousDefionsDoc
05-28-2007, 18:39
Mr. Smisson,
I KNOW you didn't just quote me in a piss-poor attempt to contradict one of the men that trained me.

You do that again and I'll ban you so fast and hard there will be a black hole over Georgia on satellite photos where your internet connection used to be.

Ambush Master
05-28-2007, 18:59
Mr. Smisson,
I KNOW you didn't just quote me in a piss-poor attempt to contradict one of the men that trained me.

You do that again and I'll ban you so fast and hard there will be a black hole over Georgia on satellite photos where your internet connection used to be.

Hey NDD, not Georgia, try Iola, Kansas!!:D :munchin

The Reaper
05-28-2007, 19:23
No sir, I am not that sort of young man. What do you think of Cold Steel knives then ;) ? Also, I plan on using my military issued knife for all tool-related jobs, this would be a fighting knife.

I am not a big fan of Cold Steel.

The odds of a soldier today getting into a knife fight with the enemy are about the same as winning the lottery. The odds of him injuring himself with it are much better.

I do not believe that you are a soldier yet. I would focus on mastering your issued equipment and the 25 meter target once you are. You will not be permitted to own a large knife in the Army for a while.

Why are the people who start posting the quickest seem to learn the least? Have you searched and read the other important threads here, and become bored?

And listen to NDD, he knows things. Well, except about my mood. I am one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet here.

TR

Bill Harsey
05-28-2007, 19:34
Smisson, pm out.

Please do as advised here. It's a health issue.

swatsurgeon
05-28-2007, 20:07
You guys are getting soft........ and really nice lately.
Yes TR, you are a sweety!!!...I mean nice guy, SIR.

BTW, I learned long ago, ask for an opinion and you are likely to get polar different views if you ask enough people...statistics.
Learn to use it correctly and you could use something from the local hardware store. I take care of alot of stab wounds ...cheap knives and expensive ones (sometimes they come to the Trauma room with the evidence still in place. Last one was a Buck hunter, she lived, one before that was a no name 5.5 inch blade that killed the guy. User and training typically make the difference, not the brand IMHO.

ss

NousDefionsDoc
05-28-2007, 21:43
Oh, now everybody wants to be the nice one...;)

TR,
Mr. Smisson PMd me (not very bright) - he claims we are diametrically opposed and his evidence is what he quoted of me above. The boy needs help.

Mr. Smisson,
Did you lie about your location? It's not nice to lie.

The Reaper
05-28-2007, 22:27
TR,
Mr. Smisson PMd me (not very bright) - he claims we are diametrically opposed and his evidence is what he quoted of me above. The boy needs help.

Hmm, opposed like peanut butter and jelly. Or Butch and Sundance.

NDD, I agree with your assessment for professional soldiers. Someone with your skills who might actually bet their life on the gear can get the value out of a Harsey or a Reeve blade. I doubt that the Legionaire bought his school aged son a high-end gladius before the kid went to basic.

My advice, I believe was sound for a high school kid. IF he gets to Basic and whips out a $300 pigsticker, the Drill may be grateful, but I doubt that it will do him any good.

You know, I do not intend to come across with a bad attitude, but the new members here who want to immediately start new threads or jump into conversations minutes after registering have a significantly higher risk and shorter life span than those who stop for a listening halt and try to get the feel for the place while reading. It makes me believe that those who have the SA, respect, and aptitude understand and get the message as well as the vast quantity of experience and info we offer here. Those who do not have the attitude and aptitude miss the info, get upset, and miss out, possibly finding another line of work in the process. This could be a sort of Darwinian selection of those who might be headed to SFAS, and have the skills to survive and thrive in it.

From my perspective, the guy who registers, fills in his profile, introduces himself, and then lurks regularly to read and search is the kid I want going to selection. Barring difficulty, those guys put up post number two at the end of SFAS, and maybe another post or two per Phase. The ones who need to jump up and down shouting for attention, ignoring the rules, looking for magic gear, and drawing fire are not normally who we are looking for.

Believe it or not, this is not addressed at anyone in particular, butr rather, a number of characters who seem to arrive here in waves. Smission, you spend your money any way you want and good luck with your sleep.

TR

Smisson
05-29-2007, 15:51
Hmm, opposed like peanut butter and jelly. Or Butch and Sundance.

NDD, I agree with your assessment for professional soldiers. Someone with your skills who might actually bet their life on the gear can get the value out of a Harsey or a Reeve blade. I doubt that the Legionaire bought his school aged son a high-end gladius before the kid went to basic.

My advice, I believe was sound for a high school kid. IF he gets to Basic and whips out a $300 pigsticker, the Drill may be grateful, but I doubt that it will do him any good.

You know, I do not intend to come across with a bad attitude, but the new members here who want to immediately start new threads or jump into conversations minutes after registering have a significantly higher risk and shorter life span than those who stop for a listening halt and try to get the feel for the place while reading. It makes me believe that those who have the SA, respect, and aptitude understand and get the message as well as the vast quantity of experience and info we offer here. Those who do not have the attitude and aptitude miss the info, get upset, and miss out, possibly finding another line of work in the process. This could be a sort of Darwinian selection of those who might be headed to SFAS, and have the skills to survive and thrive in it.

From my perspective, the guy who registers, fills in his profile, introduces himself, and then lurks regularly to read and search is the kid I want going to selection. Barring difficulty, those guys put up post number two at the end of SFAS, and maybe another post or two per Phase. The ones who need to jump up and down shouting for attention, ignoring the rules, looking for magic gear, and drawing fire are not normally who we are looking for.

Believe it or not, this is not addressed at anyone in particular, butr rather, a number of characters who seem to arrive here in waves. Smission, you spend your money any way you want and good luck with your sleep.

TR

Yes, sir. I understand where you're coming from and I was not aware, I apologize for the offense. I misunderstood and stand corrected. I am eager to join the United States Army and I get a little carried away with things sometimes. I recently discovered my love for blades and weapons and have it under control now. Thank you for being civil.

Also, I did not lie about my location. I live just south of Macon in Georgia, perhaps my ISP is located there or I get routed through to there. The only reason I PMed you is because of my stepfather's firewall.

x SF med
05-29-2007, 16:05
Oh, now everybody wants to be the nice one...;)

TR,

Mr. Smisson,
Did you lie about your location? It's not nice to lie.

Smisson-
Run, hide, cover yourself with leaves, move to a new country (The Siberian tundra is a fairly safe place).

You have no idea what you are talking about, TR and NDD know things, and never have a Medic and Team Leader been so closely in tune.

Lying about location might not be a good thing for you right now, well, never, actually.

Apologize to the nice QPs, and then stay out of sight for a while, you will be happy that way, and safe from the wraths of both NDD and TR.

I'm trying to be a nice guy herre... Please just shush and listen up, okay.

NousDefionsDoc
05-29-2007, 17:44
Yes, sir. I understand where you're coming from and I was not aware, I apologize for the offense. I misunderstood and stand corrected. I am eager to join the United States Army and I get a little carried away with things sometimes. I recently discovered my love for blades and weapons and have it under control now. Thank you for being civil.

Also, I did not lie about my location. I live just south of Macon in Georgia, perhaps my ISP is located there or I get routed through to there. The only reason I PMed you is because of my stepfather's firewall.
EXCELLENT RESPONSE MR. SMISSON! Absolutely outstanding!

Now, we can discuss the knife. I have never had one, but I looked at the pictures - it's not for me. For one, since Mr. Harsey and Mr. Strider have educated me, I see blades in a different light.

A knife is a tool, as so eloquently stated above. I don't need a 7" knife for a tool. Anything I can do with a 7" blade, I can do with a 4" blade.

I have also learned that I can get an acceptable tool for $150. For another $150 I can get one I can pass on to my son.

And since I am a grown up now, I don't tend to lose my shit as much as I used to, so I am more inclined to go with quality.

If you do join the Army, you won't need a 7" knife either. I would suggest you get something you can reall use - a Swiss Army Knife or a Leatherman mutli-tool (don't vote for Tim for President).

Better yet, spend the money on running shoes and a chin-up bar. Or take your gurlfriend out to dinner and a movie.

If you just have to have one, save up the money and get a real one.

You asked for an opinion, there's mine.

Welcome to PS.com and enjoy the board.