PDA

View Full Version : BEST MOVIE SOUNDTRACKS

82ndtrooper
05-26-2007, 02:23
Since we'be done with "Best Underground Movies" and "Best 80's Rock Bands" how about "Best Movie Soundtracks" ?

Rules are simple: Nominate the entire sountrack or individual songs from your favorite movie soundtrack.

I like these three for starters:

1. Adagio for Strings (Platoon)

2. Jump into the fire (Harry Nillson from "Goodfellows")

3. To live and die in LA (Soundtrack entirely by Wang Chung)

What say you ?

2018commo
05-26-2007, 03:33
“Last Of The Mohicans” Great Sunday morning music.

moobob
05-26-2007, 03:46
My vote is for Team America.

The instrumental version of the First Blood theme is one of my favorites... Don't know about the rest of the sound track

http://www.csie.nctu.edu.tw/~movies/Goldsmith/FirstBlood_b.mp3

The Reaper
05-26-2007, 08:01
"Excalibur" and "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure."

TR

Eagle5US
05-26-2007, 08:28
Daredevil...Specifically
"Man without Fear"

Love the "Gladiator" soundtrack as well.

Eagle

dennisw
05-26-2007, 08:37
The Deer Hunter

lksteve
05-26-2007, 08:55
“Last Of The Mohicans” i concur...

VAV1500
05-26-2007, 09:07
To Live And Die In L.A. is a classic.

Collateral has a very good sampling of songs (my favorite being Audioslave's "Shadow on the Sun"), there are some great gems on both volumes of the Boogie Nights soundtrack, and both the soundtrack and original score (by Jerry Goldsmith) to L.A. Confidential are awesome.

mdb23
05-26-2007, 09:16
Braveheart.

The Devil's Rejects (Great classic rock on there)

The theme to the original Rocky

This is going to get me laughed at, but The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

The theme music to Halloween (that freaky piano)

The "Duh duh.... duh duh...... duh da duh da du dah " part from the original Jaws

vsvo
05-26-2007, 09:25
Saturday Night Fever
The Thomas Crown Affair (1999 remake)
Forrest Gump
The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of The Desert (never saw the movie, but like the soundtrack :) )
The Breakfast Club (if only for "Don't You (Forget About Me)")

Remington Raidr
05-26-2007, 09:29
The Hunt for Red October

Starship Troopers

82ndtrooper
05-26-2007, 10:25
To Live And Die In L.A. is a classic.

Collateral has a very good sampling of songs (my favorite being Audioslave's "Shadow on the Sun"), there are some great gems on both volumes of the Boogie Nights soundtrack, and both the soundtrack and original score (by Jerry Goldsmith) to L.A. Confidential are awesome.

Boogie Nights Sountrack:

What is humorus is that they actually include the Mark Wahlberg demo recording called "We will rock you" from the scene in the movie at the recording studio. It cracks me up every time I hear it due to it's crappy sound, as intended in the movie. :D

Last of the Mohicans: Never gave it a thought, but I'm going to listen more closely next time it's on one of the movie channels.

5POINT56
05-26-2007, 10:53
My vote goes to the Apocalypse Now sound track. The dialog between tracks is great.

Track listing

Disc/Cassette 1

1. The End (04:15)
2. Saigon (01:38)
narration & dialogue
3. The End (part 2) (01:37)
4. Terminate (05:44)
narration & dialogue
5. The Delta (02:38)
6. P.B.R. (02:02)
narration & dialogue
7. Dossier #1 (01:51)
8. Colonel Kilgore (05:43)
narration & dialogue
9. Orange Light (02:15)
10. The Ride of the Valkyries (02:00)
11. Napalm in the Morning (00:55)
dialogue
12. Pre-Tiger (04:50)
13. Dossier #2 (03:30)
14. Susie Q (04:26)
15. Dossier #3 (03:09)
16. 75 Klicks (01:09)
dialogue
17. The Nung River (03:10)

Disc/Cassette 2

1. Do Lung Bridge (09:37)
2. Letters From Home (02:39)
3. Clean's Death (03:10)
4. Chief's Death/Strange Voyage (06:47)
5. Strange Voyage (04:16)
6. Kurtz' Compound (02:18)
dialogue
7. Willard's Capture (01:18)
8. Errand Boy (02:04)
dialogue
9. Chef's Head (02:04)
10. The Hollow Men (01:09)
11. Horror (05:42)
dialogue
12. Even the Jungle Wanted Him Dead (01:01)
dialogue
13. The End (03:14)

Total Duration: 01:36:11
Track listing contributed by William Wass

x-factor
05-26-2007, 11:05
I put the Kingdom of Heaven soundtrack on when I'm writing sometimes. Yo Yo Ma on the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon soundtrack is nice background music for working too.

The tribal drums/electric guitar contrast on the Black Hawk Down instrumental stuff is cool too.

pegasus
05-26-2007, 11:17
"Black Hawk Down" - listen to it all the time.

Plus 'Last Of The Mohicans'

x-factor
05-26-2007, 11:34
"Black Hawk Down" - listen to it all the time.

Besides the instrumental stuff, the Stevie Ray Vaughn cover of Voodoo Chile and Faith No More's Falling To Pieces on that soundtrack is great.

Also, its not a movie, but the Battlestar Galactica series (the new one on Sci Fi) music is killer.

chance
05-26-2007, 12:37
I like the Punisher sound track.

Kraut783
05-26-2007, 13:01
Concur with "Blackhawk Down" and "Excaliber"

I will throw in "Man on Fire".

Gypsy
05-26-2007, 15:00
Many of my favorites are already listed. I still love the soundtrack from The Big Chill.

Monsoon65
05-26-2007, 15:19
1. Adagio for Strings (Platoon)

It's a nice piece, but I heard this described once as "Music to kill yourself to".

I've always liked "Last of the Mohicans".

Go For Broke
05-26-2007, 15:25
Backdraft

Enter The Dragon

Henry Mancini's Peter Gunn

James Bond flicks (always has good ones)

Ennio Morricone's music for the spaghetti westerns and Kill Bill

From the Eath to the Moon

And from the video game genre -

Halo and the Tony Hawk Series

x-factor
05-26-2007, 15:59
The HALO theme with the electric violin is awesome.

The Reaper
05-26-2007, 16:04
Maximum Overdrive is pretty good as well, of you like AC/DC.

I always liked the Patton soundtrack too. Jerry Goldsmith, I believe. He and John Williams are among my favorites. And when Bill Conti worked on Rocky, he was pretty good.

TR

Sten
05-26-2007, 16:20
Grosse Pointe Blank is a good soundtrack with a bunch of non-lame 80s music.

Air.177
05-26-2007, 19:33
I Have the Following soundtracks in the truck:

The Big Lebowski - Eclectic, Yeah that's a good word for it

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - Good Stuff, love the dialogue between tracks

National Lampoon's EuroTrip - lots of French stuff, other than that pretty good, Hillarious dialogue

Air America - BB King: Right Place, Wrong Time; and Steely Dan: Right Place, Wrong Time.

Probably others, will add as they come to mind

Good times
Blake

x-factor
05-26-2007, 19:40
From Dusk Til Dawn has some surprisingly good stuff if you're into Tex-Mex style blues.

Blues Brothers has some good classic R&B. The James Brown gospel song is great.

Sdiver
05-26-2007, 20:03
Some "re-lists" here:

"Excalibur"
"The Big Chill"
"Platoon"
"The Last of The Mohicans"
"Forest Gump"
"The Blues Brothers" (of course, being from Chicago, this HAS to be on my list.)

and some newer ones for the "list"

"Good Morning Vietnam"
"Hamburger Hill"
"Animal House" (do the Bluto :D )
"Kill Bill, Vol. 1 and 2"
"The DaVinci Code" (nice instrumental music)

and this one is going to get my laughed at.....but......

"Star Wars" (the episode 4 soundtrack)

NousDefionsDoc
05-26-2007, 20:46
Ennio Morricone"s work on Sergio Leone films, notably The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Elmer Bernstein on The Magnificent Seven
Last of the Mohicans
The Green Berets

82ndtrooper
05-26-2007, 21:32
I actually liked the soundtrack to the "Secret of my Success" With Michael J. Fox.

The best song being Night Rangers "25 Hours a Day"

The intrumental stuff is clearly 80's but some decent music none the less.

The Rocky soundtracks with Bill Conti are also great, as The Reaper mentioned. I specifically like the Rocky IV soundtrack. The "Workout Montage, and there's a little known song with Kenny Loggins that the mechanical robot was playing that they gave to "Pauley" for his birthday. I belive it was a duet with Gladys Knight called "Double or Nothing" "Burning Hearts" by Surivor "One way street" by Go West and "War" by Vince DiCola and specifically "Hearts on Fire" by John Cafferty, "No easy way out" by John Tepper.

82ndtrooper
05-26-2007, 21:58
Also included is the LATE GREAT JAMES BROWN singing "Livin in America":lifter

Roguish Lawyer
05-26-2007, 22:33
Pulp Fiction
Saturday Night Fever
Beavis and Butthead Do America

aricbcool
05-27-2007, 01:59
For good epic music try "The 13th Warrior" - the first 4 or 5 tracks and then the last 2 or 3. The middle is a bit hectic and convoluted. Also, the opening track to "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves." Agreed with many of the others on here as well. Also, the soundtrack to Amadeus is great, although it may be considered cheating b/c it's all Mozart...

--Aric

PS: I almost forgot... Conan the Barbarian!!! One of the best soundtracks ever.

82ndtrooper
05-27-2007, 03:02
Yeah, this theme is nice, but every time I hear it, I think of that scene in "Platoon" when they're flying in the helicopter and see that guy who was left in the jungle trying to run to them, and he get shot and dies.

Also the theme "Leonard" from "Full Metal Jacket" from when Leonard shoots himself, that is a very haunting theme.

Yep, it's Staff Sergeant Elias played by Willem DaFoe. Shot and left behind by Beringers charachter (SSG Barnes) who get's his payback in the ending reels by Charlie Sheen.

Full Metal Jacket is also decent. Leanard is played by Vincent Denafrio. Surprisingly his charachter was becoming a real warrior, but not without some psycopathology to go along with it.

I'll have to check out the sountrack again.

JMI
05-27-2007, 06:44
Vision Quest
Once Upon a Time in the West
The Godfather
Once Upon a Time in America
Saturday Night Fever
O' Brother Where Art Thou
Purple Rain
Thief
Pulp Fiction
Gladiator
The Mission
The Pink Panther

x-factor
05-27-2007, 08:48
Also, the opening track to "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves."

Prince of Thieves has some of the best movie music ever. Too bad the acting wasn't as good as the orchestra.

Patriot007
05-27-2007, 18:34
Gladiator is my all time favorite.

"300" is a great one to get pumped up to particulary tracks " The Hot Gates" and "Fever Dream".

Hostile0311
05-28-2007, 04:07
All of Quentin Tarantino's films have awesome soundtracks. Resevoir Dogs is a personal favorite. Especially when Michael Madsen cuts that cop's ear off and douses him in gasoline to 'Stuck in the Middle with You' by Stealers Wheel.

Texian
05-28-2007, 05:40
Goodfellas

82ndtrooper
05-28-2007, 07:26
One that I forgot is the soundtrack to "Rockstar" with Mark Wahlberg.

Kiss, Ted Nugent, Bon Jovi, Verve Pipe, and all the tracks that were in the movie. Zack Wylde, plays one hell of a screaming guitar. In fact he was with "Ozzy" just the past week at Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas for the VH1 Rock Honors.

mdb23
05-28-2007, 07:40
One that I forgot is the soundtrack to "Rockstar" with Mark Wahlberg.

Zack Wylde, plays one hell of a screaming guitar. In fact he was with "Ozzy" just the past week at Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas for the VH1 Rock Honors.

Zack has been Ozzy's touring/recording guitarist since the early 90's.

82ndtrooper
05-28-2007, 07:57
Zack has been Ozzy's touring/recording guitarist since the early 90's.

I had thought that some different guitarist had been along on some tours and albums but after looking at the credits on the CD's here Zack is on every one of them. Their favorite drummer, Randy Castillo died a few years back after touring and recording with Motley Crue.

On the soundtrack to Rockstar, Zack and Jason Bonum apparently had major creative differences to Jason's abiity to actually play the drums. Zack is one of those guy's that I wouldn't want to piss off.

The songs from the movie though are pretty riffy and hard. I had heard that Mark Walhberg actually did the singing on them, but I'll have to look at the credits to confirm this.

If you look at Zack Wyldes dedicated site under the "photos" section it say's "Not Ready, F#*k Off" I would have expected nothing less.

DDD
05-28-2007, 08:33
"Crossroads" and "Last Man Standing" not good movies, but we're talking soundtracks and Ry Cooder is maybe the best white blues guitarist alive.

x-factor
05-28-2007, 09:40
A little known one: Dead Presidents has a great soundtrack for late 60s early 70s soul.

Sionnach
05-29-2007, 09:34
The Layla piano exit from Goodfellas was great.

As 82ndTrooper mentioned, Adagio for Strings in Platoon, and it has also been used in a couple of video games for great effect.

x SF med
05-29-2007, 09:47
So far everything has been excellent - but one was left out - The Giorgio Moroder remake of Metropolis... killer soundtrack, they found some lost reels too so it has different footage than you're used to seeing.

I've always liked the soundtrack to "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly" too.

Goggles Pizano
05-29-2007, 10:02
Ben Hur
Magnificent Seven....Damn NDD beat me to that one!
The Great Escape
Fandango

Max_Tab
05-29-2007, 10:29
All of Quentin Tarantino's films have awesome soundtracks. Resevoir Dogs is a personal favorite. Especially when Michael Madsen cuts that cop's ear off and douses him in gasoline to 'Stuck in the Middle with You' by Stealers Wheel.

Love this soundtrack, the way the music fit's in with the movie...it's a definate classic.

tink's shadow
05-29-2007, 23:54
Joe Holmes tours with Ozzy when Zakk Wylde has scheduling conflicts. Joe was a student of Randy Rhoads.

Richard
05-30-2007, 04:37
IMHO:

Last of the Mohicans - theme song
Top Gun - "I went to the Danger Zone" and "You take My Breath Away"
Blackhawk Down
What Do Women Want - classic Sinatra
Risky Business - "In the air tonight" while riding the El + "Old Time Rock 'n Roll"
Out of Africa - much better movie than the book, too
An Officer and a Gentleman
Band of Brothers
Victory at Sea
Forrest Gump - my generation's soundtrack

The Reaper
05-30-2007, 06:30
IMHO:

Risky Business - "In the air tonight" while riding the El + "Old Time Rock 'n Roll"

Have to disagree with you there.

Those are great, but the single best song in that movie is Muddy Waters version of "Mannish Boy".

TR

Forgotten
05-30-2007, 07:03
Movies:

Final Fantasy Advent Children has a really good soundtrack
Gladitor
Tears of the Sun (I like the African themed songs)
Kindom Under Hevean
Chronicles of Riddick
O Brother Where Art Thou
Black Hawk Down

Games:
Halo (I like the Monks in the Theme Song)
Gears of War

Shar
05-30-2007, 07:04
The Wedding Singer (Vol. 1 & 2) - best early 80's comps IMHO (although I could leave the cast songs off and be happy)

Also, whenever you all mention black helicopters I can't help but think of X-Files and chuckle. The franchise put out 5 albums, but the two I have are:
"Music in the Key of X" from the TV show with Soul Coughing's "Unmarked Helicopters" - the black helicopters reference song.
and
"X-Files, The Album - Fight the Future" which is a decent collection featuring recordings from Sting, Bjork, Tonic, Foo Fighters, etc.

frostfire
06-01-2007, 00:19
Pan's Labyrinth (haunting)
Requiem for a Dream (brutal)
Many works by Danny Elfman, Hans Zimmer, Mark Mencina
Last of Mohicans, Blackhawk Down, LOTR, Godfather violin tracks (fun to play)
Millennium ('96 tv series)
The Green Berets (who did the singing?)

RTK
06-01-2007, 03:59
Most of mine are repeats by now, but I'll add one that hasn't been hit up. The movie is Dazed and Confused. Here's the track list:

Rick Derringer - Rock & Roll, Hoochie Koo
Foghat -Slow Ride
Alice Cooper -School's Out
Black Oak Arkansas -Jim Dandy
ZZ Top - Tush
Nazareth - Love Hurts
Ted Nugent - Stranglehold
The Runaways -Cherry Bomb
Sweet - Fox on the Run
War -Low Rider
Lynyrd Skynyrd -Tuesday's Gone
Deep Purple - Highway Star
Kiss - Rock & Roll All Night
Black Sabbath - Paranoid

combatdivesup
06-01-2007, 15:58
The first "Matrix", "Natural Born Killers", "House Of A Thousand Corpses", last but not least... "Blazing Saddles" and "Urban Cowboy"...guess what color my neck is.

82ndtrooper
06-02-2007, 07:51
The first "Matrix", "Natural Born Killers", "House Of A Thousand Corpses", last but not least... "Blazing Saddles" and "Urban Cowboy"...guess what color my neck is.

"House of a thousand corpses" now that's one crazy movie. Nothing like a clown serving home made fried chicken with a .44 Magnum for back up at a truck stop. Rob Zombie sure a funny sense of humor. Great sound track though.

echoes
06-10-2007, 19:20
Soul Coughing's "Unmarked Helicopters" - the black helicopters reference song.
and
"X-Files, The Album - Fight the Future" which is a decent collection featuring recordings from Sting, Bjork, Tonic, Foo Fighters, etc.

How did I miss this thread?

Outstanding picks!

The soundtrack from "Good Will Hunting", one of my all time fav's...
classic, twisted, and tragic. ;)

Holly

P.S. Also those that mentioned "Excalibur"...That is one of the best!

evos524
06-11-2007, 18:29
The soundtracks already mentioned are amazing! The songs really bring back some good memories.

I love the soundtrack to A Knight's Tale:

1. We Will Rock You - Queen
2. Low Rider - War
3. Takin' Care Of Business - Bachman-Turner Overdrive
4. Golden Years - David Bowie *my fave song!*
5. Crazy On You - Heart
6. Further On Up The Road - Eric Clapton
7. Get Ready - Rare Earth
8. I Want To Take you Higher - Sly & The Family Stone
9. The Boys Are Back In Town - Thin Lizzy
10. One Of Your Own - Carter Burwell
11. We Are The Champions - Robbie Williams & Queen
12. Pieces - Dan Powell
13. Eye Conqueror - Third Eye Blind

I listen to it when I clean the house to stay motivated. I also really enjoy the score to the Harry Potter movies. :D

Ice
06-11-2007, 23:43
All of Hans Zimmer's work is good.

Belly
Zorba the Greek :D

Ice
07-17-2007, 20:40
The music sounds a lot like an ERA remix.

82ndtrooper
07-17-2007, 21:38
someone resucitated this thread, so I'll play again. :cool:

1. Secret of my success (M.J.Fox) The Night Ranger song "25 Hrs a day" and some other decent music including one by Restless Heart.

2. Staying Alive. If you want to complete "Bee Gee's" collection, this is another must have. It's also got some of Frank Stallones stuff with Cynthia Rhodes singing duet and solo.

Goggles Pizano
07-18-2007, 07:23
someone resucitated this thread, so I'll play again. :cool:

1. Secret of my success (M.J.Fox) The Night Ranger song "25 Hrs a day" and some other decent music including one by Restless Heart.

2. Staying Alive. If you want to complete "Bee Gee's" collection, this is another must have. It's also got some of Frank Stallones stuff with Cynthia Rhodes singing duet and solo.

Admit it 82; you broke out the white shoes and belt, flowered poly shirt, and the striped pants just to post again didn't you! :p

x SF med
07-18-2007, 07:58
I was wondering if anyone knew what music was used in the ad below? I really like it, but I am not sure if it is music you can buy from a specific composer/group, or music that was composed specially for the ad.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2026560439

As for the ad itself (for anyone wondering), it's for a new private jet called the ATG Javelin, basically it's a private plane designed to look and fly like a fighter. You can learn more about it here: http://www.avtechgroup.com/aircraft.asp

Sounds like Trans Siberian Railroad meets Enigma... there are lots of Prog Rock / Orchestral bands in Northern Europe... good tune though. Sounds like it might have been Composed / Arranged by Danny Elfmann.

82ndtrooper
07-18-2007, 09:25
Admit it 82; you broke out the white shoes and belt, flowered poly shirt, and the striped pants just to post again didn't you! :p

Doesn't everyone have a white suit with a black shirt in their closet ?:munchin

x SF med
07-18-2007, 10:12
Doesn't everyone have a white suit with a black shirt in their closet ?:munchin

Hmmm, disco finally made it to Kentucky? Bummer.:D watch out, New Wave is next, and then you get parachute pants instead of the white poly suit.

82ndtrooper
07-18-2007, 11:27
Hmmm, disco finally made it to Kentucky? Bummer.:D watch out, New Wave is next, and then you get parachute pants instead of the white poly suit.

Are you kidding ? We just hooked up running water and a shoe store opened just down the road. :cool:

We're finally getting around to the "Thriller" video.

Fiercely Loyal
07-19-2007, 04:19
Willow. Val Kilmer and a bunch of little people. Great movie, great soundtrack.

glebo
07-19-2007, 10:50
I think EasyRiders sound track is great, ordered it two months ago and love the tunes.

82ndtrooper
07-19-2007, 13:19
I think EasyRiders sound track is great, ordered it two months ago and love the tunes.

Have you seen the new movie "Wild Hogs" Guess who makes an appearance near the end of the movie as a crusty old wise biker ?

There's some tunes that may be on the Easy Rider soundtrack.

x SF med
07-19-2007, 14:10
Have you seen the new movie "Wild Hogs" Guess who makes an appearance near the end of the movie as a crusty old wise biker ?

TR? not too crusty or old, but fairly wise... (sorry TR, had to do it, payback for all the troll jokes)

bricklayer
08-02-2007, 09:51
Burning Bridges By the Mike Curb Congregation on the Movie Kelly's Heroes. This is a very good song!

The Reaper
08-29-2007, 21:04
"We Were Soldiers Once".

I think that the soundtrack is brilliant.

I especially like "Sergeant McKenzie", which with the brogue and placement in the movie, was spooky, and "The Mansions of the Lord", which was played at President Reagan's funeral.

TR

Original Scottish Version:

Lay me doon in the caul caul groon
Whaur afore monie mair huv gaun

When they come a wull staun ma groon
Staun ma groon al nae be afraid

Thoughts awe hame tak awa ma fear
Sweat an bluid hide ma veil awe tears

Ains a year say a prayer faur me
Close yir een an remember me

Nair mair shall a see the sun
For a fell tae a Germans gun

English Translation:

Lay me down in the cold cold ground
Where before many more have gone

When they come I will stand my ground
Stand my ground I'll not be afraid

Thoughts of home take away my fear
Sweat and blood hide my veil of tears

Once a year say a prayer for me
Close your eyes and remember me

Never more shall I see the sun
For I fell to a Germans gun

In memory of Sgt. Charles Stuart MacKenzie
Seaforth Highlanders
Who along with many others gave up his life
So that we can live free

We will remember them

Mike792
08-29-2007, 21:35
How about the Instrumental sound tracks to the Old NFL Highlights?

82ndtrooper
08-29-2007, 21:37
"We Were Soldiers Once".

I think that the soundtrack is brilliant.

I especially like "Sergeant McKenzie", which with the brogue and placement in the movie, was spooky, and "The Mansions of the Lord", which was played at President Reagan's funeral.

TR

Original Scottish Version:

When they come a wull staun ma groon
Staun ma groon al nae be afraid

Thoughts awe hame tak awa ma fear
Sweat an bluid hide ma veil awe tears

Ains a year say a prayer faur me
Close yir een an remember me

Nair mair shall a see the sun
For a fell tae a Germans gun

English Translation:

When they come I will stand my ground
Stand my ground I'll not be afraid

Thoughts of home take away my fear
Sweat and blood hide my veil of tears

Once a year say a prayer for me
Close your eyes and remember me

Never more shall I see the sun
For I fell to a Germans gun

In memory of Sgt. Charles Stuart MacKenzie
Seaforth Highlanders
Who along with many others gave up his life
So that we can live free

We will remember them

Mel Gibson as Col. Hal Moore ? What a damn good movie !!! I especially like Sam Elliots charachter but cannot for the life of me without looking at google what the 1st Sergeants name is that he played.

That's some damn spooky music your referring too in certain parts of the movie.:eek:

RTK
08-29-2007, 21:38
CSM Basil Plumley.

For the record, and on my honor, that was from memory.

82ndtrooper
08-29-2007, 21:44
CSM Basil Plumley.

For the record, and on my honor, that was from memory.

You've got a good memory ! Can't remember is he was an SGM or CSM in the movie. I thought he was 1st Sergeant, but I was wrong.

IIRC I believe he had like 3 or 4 Mustard Stains in his wings even before his experience at LZXRAY. Stud !!!

PSM
08-29-2007, 21:52
Mel Gibson as Col. Hal Moore ? What a damn good movie !!!

LTG Moore became the highest ranking officer from my uncle's USMA class.

Pat

82ndtrooper
08-29-2007, 21:57
LTG Moore became the highest ranking officer from my uncle's USMA class.

Pat

If he was anything like he was portrayed in the movie, then I would have followed him anywhere, anytime and under any conditions.

The Reaper
08-29-2007, 21:57
If you haven't read LTG Moore's and Joe Galloway's book, it is (as usual) better than the movie.

TR

PSM
08-29-2007, 22:23
If you haven't read LTG Moore's and Joe Galloway's book, it is (as usual) better than the movie.

TR

True. That being said, with September approaching, I'd like to point out that Col. Rick Rescorla, also at Ia Drang and pictured on the cover of the book, was killed on September 11. 2001 in the World Trade Center attack.

Pat

GratefulCitizen
08-30-2007, 00:11
I checked through the thread, and didn't see it:

the soundtrack to "Conan the Barbarian".

POO
08-30-2007, 05:06
Only one other person mentioned Band of Brothers? :confused: OMG! BofB kicks ass. I get goose bumps everytime I hear Mission Begins, picturing those planes taking off, very inspirational. Micheal Kamen knocked it out of the park on with that one.

Also, The Right Stuff. Another great work of Bill Conti. Next time you fly, start Almost Ready right as the pilot begins his take off...the timing is perfect on 727's and 737's with the hook hitting right as you lift off. Good sh|t. And then Breaking The Sound Barrier, and Yeager's Flight are excellent for relaxing during the flight.

82ndtrooper
08-30-2007, 05:35
True. That being said, with September approaching, I'd like to point out that Col. Rick Rescorla, also at Ia Drang and pictured on the cover of the book, was killed on September 11. 2001 in the World Trade Center attack.

Pat

Interesting that you mention Richard Rescorla.

I've only told my story to one other member of this forum concerning my where abouts on 9/11 2001. I was staying at WTC #5 The Vista Hotel while working with Morgan Stanley. It was the building that was only like 20 stories tall between WTC 1 and 2. Richard Rescorla had just taken the job of head of WTC security for Morgan Stanley. I only met him during a brief safety briefing that he had made mandatory to everyone staying at the Vista Hotel. Fire exits, stair way's and a brief fire instuction on breathing into wet towel and crawling down the hall way to the stair way exits.

I had no Idea who he was at the time.

Luckily for me I had met another investment banker at 0730 across the street at the World Financial Center and cabbed it up to the office on The Avenue of Americas for a meeting with another investment banker from American Express then with Sandy Weil. We were drinking coffee on the street corner shooting the shit since our meeting got canceled once we arrived there. We heard a strange noise and saw a plane flying low then into the North tower.

I stayed with a friend since all my personal belongings were in the WTC. I purchased some more clothes from Barney's of NY and did not get back home till Monday of the next week. There's alot more details that I can provide, but this thread about "Best Soundtracks" It will forever live in mind to watch both of those planes fly into the WTC buildings and the after math that I was a part of and witnessed.

RIP Richard Rescorla.

The Reaper
08-30-2007, 08:09
Sergeant Savage worked in Building 4 at Ft. Benning.

I met him several times, he was just another civilian worker there till I read the book and wondered if that was him. A buddy confirmed it.

Gents (and ladies), we walk in the presence of heroes every day, without realizing it. I try to treat everyone I meet as if they are a MoH winner, because for all we know, they are.

Mr. Savage, thank you for your service and your sacrifice. Well done, Sir.

Great story, 82T. Thanks for sharing.

TR

Chris
08-30-2007, 08:14
You've got a good memory ! Can't remember is he was an SGM or CSM in the movie. I thought he was 1st Sergeant, but I was wrong.

IIRC I believe he had like 3 or 4 Mustard Stains in his wings even before his experience at LZXRAY. Stud !!!

http://www.lzxray.com/plumley.htm

Google fu!

Avienda
09-16-2007, 05:56
The soundtrack to das Boot, by Klaus Doldinger.

Plutarch
09-17-2007, 13:24
Great picks so far. I have already purchased a couple that were recommended here.

I was surprised that "Gods and Generals" hadn't been mentioned yet. That is one of my favorites.

frostfire
09-18-2007, 14:05
From Blackhawk Down:

Nobody Ask to Be a Hero (A medley of Gortoz A Ran J'Attends and Minstrel Boy)
Leave No Man Behind

It's not October yet, but here's a nice commemoration clip of the fallen
(copy and paste) youtube.com/watch?v=M4Oowxq3NBU
MSG Timothy "Griz" Martin, you're never forgotten

Forget where this is from:
And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda

MAB32
09-18-2007, 20:44
My picks for best soundtracks:

1) "Mutiny on the Bounty" with Mel Gibson. Vangelis did most of that.
2) "Grand Canyon" was also good. Any soundtrack done by Tangerine Dream.
3) "Saturday Night Fever"
4) "Thief" with James Caan.
5) "Manhunter"
6) Almost any soundtrack made by Tangerine Dream.

Longstreet
09-29-2008, 19:21
Given my interest in studying the US Civil War, one of my favourite soundtracks is from the movie Glory. I think James Horner does a fantastic job - especially the first track. I sometimes listen to it before the bell starts and my students file in. I find it to be incredibly motivational and inspiring.

Richard
09-29-2008, 19:25
Given my interest in studying the US Civil War,

The soundtrack for "Gods and Generals"...especially the Celtic piece which is played during the intro credits while showing the regimental colors. :)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Longstreet
09-29-2008, 19:35
I have seen Gods & Generals only once - unlike Gettysburg (and while it was a good movie, the book Killer Angels was much better). It was a long time agao and I cannot recall any of the music from Gods & Generals. I will have to relisten to the soundtrack and get back to you. Thanks for the advice.

Have you read the book either 'Gods & Generals' or 'Killer Angles'? I hear there is a sequal to Killer Angels called The Last Full Measure.

cszakolczai
09-29-2008, 20:03
From Blackhawk Down:

Nobody Ask to Be a Hero (A medley of Gortoz A Ran J'Attends and Minstrel Boy)
Leave No Man Behind

It's not October yet, but here's a nice commemoration clip of the fallen
(copy and paste) youtube.com/watch?v=M4Oowxq3NBU
MSG Timothy "Griz" Martin, you're never forgotten

Forget where this is from:
And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda

I've gotta agree with Blackhawk Down, the music in that movie is just so moving.

Man on Fire has a great soundtrack in my opinon.

Hart's War is another one... I love that soundtrack.

Dozer523
09-29-2008, 21:28
The Man from Snowy River.

I smuggled it in to Robin Sage. It was great to listen to in the poncho hootch on cold November nights. My hootch-man (an 2nd generation Italian) brought in a few opera tapes. He got me hooked on that. Besides I like horseys.

TOMAHAWK9521
09-29-2008, 22:31
Let's see, good movie soundtracks I can think of:
Apocalypse now
Batman Begins
Ben-Hur
Black Hawk Down
Boondock Saints (last track "Ode to Cuchulain")
Bram Stoker's Dracula (2d track "The Hunters")
Braveheart
Conan The Barbarian
Batman: The Dark Knight
Dragon Heart
El Cid
Enemy at the Gates
The Four Feathers
Gladiator
Heavy Metal
King Arthur
Kindom of Heaven
Last of the Mohicans
Lord of the Rings: all 3 movies
Spartacus
Star Wars III: "Revenge of the Sith"
The Jackal
The Mummy
The Peacemaker
The Punisher
The RockUnderworld: Evolution
The Warlord
13th Warrior

jw74
09-29-2008, 22:50
4) "Thief" with James Caan.
5) "Manhunter"
6) Almost any soundtrack made by Tangerine Dream.

I'm sorry, but this list reminded me of the scene in Wedding Singer where the guy pulls up in the DeLorean blasting the soundtrack from Miami Vice. Thief was a great movie but the soundtrack??? To each his own.

For me, the best movie soundtrack was Pulp Fiction. A close runner up is Apocalypse Now or any movie that leans on the Rolling Stones: Fallen (w/Denzel Washington), The Devil's Advocate, or Interview With a Vampire (it was Guns n Roses doing a Stones song, but still..)

tst43
09-30-2008, 07:33
The soundtrack from the animated movie "Heavy Metal". I first saw the movie during a late-night showing at a post theater during jump school at Ft. Benning. Nothing like a theater full of slightly inebriated, almost paratroopers yelling "AIRBORNE!!!!" when the vintage corvette is dropped from the mother ship to the song "Radar Rider".

greenberetTFS
09-30-2008, 10:41
Ennio Morricone"s work on Sergio Leone films, notably The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Elmer Bernstein on The Magnificent Seven
Last of the Mohicans
The Green Berets

I concur.....Also The Longest Day(Paul Ankia's version)
Adagio for Stings (Platoon)
Blues Brothers
Gladiator

ZonieDiver
09-30-2008, 12:39
While the movie leaves much to be desired, I like the "Stones" influenced soundtrack to "Air America" with Gibson and Downey, Jr.

anythingrandom
09-30-2008, 13:13
Verdi's Overture to the Force of Destiny, performed on a harmonica in "Jean de Florette" is my favorite music in a movie. It was recently used in a Stella Artois ad, as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu3gvUT61sw

A sample.

The "Lord of War" soundtrack is also pretty good.

Richard
09-30-2008, 13:22
Two of my favorites.

Gods and Generals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWbvTdIi2XI

My favorite scene from Gettysburg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw8Tm550SJ0

Richard's $.02 :munchin

The Reaper
09-30-2008, 14:21
Good scene, but IMHO, it doesn't hold a candle to BG Lew Armistead's speech to COL Freemantle before Pickett's Charge.

TR

Longstreet
09-30-2008, 14:23
I do not have a particular favourite part in Gettysberg - I enjoy the movie as a whole. I must say though there is something about Chamberlain that fascinates me. I read his biography and even went down to Bowdoin College to see his house/museum, grave site and Medal of Honor. Unfortunately his house/museum was closed. I did get to see his medal though. He had a rather impressive career and to think, he was a teacher . . .

Longstreet
09-30-2008, 14:34
Speeches aside, another memorable part of the movie would have to be Chamberlain's command to fix bayonets and charge. That scene brings tingles to my spine every time I watch it.

I walked the grounds where he gave this historic order. That was one hell of a gutsy move - not that he had much choice mind you . . .