PDA

View Full Version : Preparing an Area Study

SRT31B
05-22-2007, 11:20
I am beginning the process of preparing an area study for my platoon (and probably the whole company) on Iraq for the next time we rotate to green cycle. I want to do a better job than the orientation we got for our last deployment which consisted of, "we're going to Bagram..."

Not having ever done this before I am unsure what the important items to include are. I had thought about a general overview of the history of the region (for the past hundred years or so, cause you'd be surprised how many people don't know), the different cultural regions within the country and differences in languages spoken. In addition, if I can find it, trying to develop an understanding for everyone as to why there is such a conflict between the different cultural groups.

I thought that TASC might be a good place to start for some training aides, but there things are usually very vague and more for the "check the block" approach. I want to do a good job on this, but as I said it's not something I have ever had to do and would appreciate any suggestions from those individuals that have been around for a while and do this sort of thing regularly. There is the possibility that we will end up working with the IPs in SPTTs so I am trying to circulate the OP19 paper to give people a better understanding about being an advisor as well.

We don't have a DEPORD or anything yet, thats still a ways out. I'm just trying to do something useful with our trianing time and trying to do a better job of preparing my team than what I got my first trip over.

Thanks in advance,

SRT

Pete
05-22-2007, 12:43
A true Area Study can be done in great detail. While doing it you will become very informed on all sections of the country.

The key is how much time to you have for giving it to your troops. An hour, 4 hours or full day? More?

Key sections would be basic history (condensed), climate, peoples and their local customs (now). Other sections other sections of the study could be added as time allows.

Have you spent time on a platform and can you keep the class jumping along? Given the wrong way can turn a class into "ZZZZZZ" time. Might want to practice on a few "good" friends.

The Reaper
05-22-2007, 13:02
Why not just check out the Area Study book already written for Iraq?

With a minor addition for updating the cutrrent military and political system, the history, culture, and geography are unchanged.

TR

SRT31B
05-22-2007, 17:07
Appreciate the suggestions. TR, I'll look for that too, sir. I have a good 6 weeks or so to prepare it and want to make sure I do a good job.

My main concern is deciphering and separating the "need to know, good to know, and nice to know" information so as not to overwhelm everyone and still provide an in depth orientation that will better prepare our soldiers so we can accomplish our missions more effectively.

Thanks again for the input.

x-factor
05-22-2007, 17:19
I'm not sure what exactly your format entails, but I can advise you on where to go for good substance for your report.

I'd recommend you contact NGIC through your S2 (or at least search their Intelink site) as a starting point. (Like TR said, no need to reinvent the wheel.) There's no substitute for subject matter expertise. Use the intel community, thats what we're here for.

Mav
05-22-2007, 19:09
I'm not sure what exactly your format entails, but I can advise you on where to go for good substance for your report.

I'd recommend you contact NGIC through your S2 (or at least search their Intelink site) as a starting point. (Like TR said, no need to reinvent the wheel.) There's no substitute for subject matter expertise. Use the intel community, thats what we're here for.

Good idea, but don't request NGIC or any Agency, directly. Again, that's what the MI guys are there for and why we have representation from all of the necessary areas. Go through your local MI unit (Ie, 313th for 82nd; Corps G2, now, for Corps), for info. Chances are they'll already have a briefing prepared or can prepare one tailored to your needs. That's part of the S-2's job.. We're Military Intelligence and we're here to help. :D

The Reaper
05-22-2007, 19:30
Just read the country study and you will be way ahead of your peers.

Here is one:

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/frd/cs/iqtoc.html

I had to write one on Chile during the Q Course. Fortunately, they were graded by weight and I already knew that.

TR

SRT31B
05-23-2007, 05:59
Thanks, sir. That one looks pretty good. I'll probably do a little cut and paste and slap it on a power point for presentation.

I'll try and check with the S2 guys up at BN, but they're not exactly the easiest to work with (or find for that matter).

You guys have helped point me in the right direction and I appreciate it. I'll try and put all the necessary info into a neat little package now.