PDA

View Full Version : Where Am I?

NousDefionsDoc
04-20-2004, 22:17
LOL - I have never seen this one before. One of the few Hollywoods. It was my first one back from an L5 fracture.

Smokin Joe
04-20-2004, 22:19
Benning?

NousDefionsDoc
04-20-2004, 22:19
Thanks Boss.

NousDefionsDoc
04-20-2004, 22:21
Originally posted by Smokin Joe
Benning?

Note the "stretchy fabric" and the "chic bus driver goggles" LOL

If I tell you no, what's your next guess?

Sdiver
04-20-2004, 22:23
Eglin....PH of FL

NousDefionsDoc
04-20-2004, 22:26
See what I mean about the haircuts Xers? My SGM NEVER had to tell me to get one. LOL

Not Eglin either. Although I have jumped both places.

NousDefionsDoc
04-20-2004, 22:30
A/C was a C5A. Every HALO dude in the world was there. LOL

French GIGN, German GSG9, SAS, SF - EVERYBODY!

Great jump. After we pulled, the sky looked like those old WWII movies of the Battle of Britain - there were jumpers everywhere. LOL

Sdiver
04-20-2004, 22:33
Is it in the States ?

Reddish dirt/clay....haze in the ATM, which means you're by a coast somewhere.

NousDefionsDoc
04-20-2004, 22:35
I don't see no money machine. Yes, its CONUS.

Sdiver
04-20-2004, 22:38
ATM=Atmosphere...It's a Diver thing.

Okay CONUS....Lots of "other" jumpers.....hummmm

Sdiver
04-20-2004, 22:47
Okay...How's about Bragg or somewhere in Texas ?:munchin

NousDefionsDoc
04-20-2004, 22:50
How about New York or California? LOL

One guess at a time.

Sdiver
04-20-2004, 22:51
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
How about New York or California? LOL

One guess at a time.

LMAO

Okay....Bragg

Smokin Joe
04-20-2004, 22:52
Note the "stretchy fabric" and the "chic bus driver goggles" LOL

If I tell you no, what's your next guess?

Hunter Army A/F

:D

NousDefionsDoc
04-20-2004, 22:54
I'm not saying anymore till the others have a chance to guess.

Eagle5US
04-21-2004, 00:57
I always jumped my Gentex...
Sicily???

Eagle

NousDefionsDoc
04-21-2004, 03:17
Roger. Sicily. The same DZ I broke my back on the jump before this one.

QRQ 30
04-21-2004, 04:20
It looks like Bragg. I'm stuck between Holland and Sicily and leaning more towards Sicily.

The Reaper
04-21-2004, 05:46
I have the mass MT1-XX parachute pic around here somewhere.

Ladies and gentlemen, the pattern was definitely full that day.

TR

Solid
04-21-2004, 06:54
TR- Is there any chance that you would post it? Those pictures are always very impressive.

Thank you,

Solid

Team Sergeant
04-21-2004, 08:18
Originally posted by Eagle5US
I always jumped my Gentex...
Sicily???

Eagle
That would have been my guess, but I would have said, "Runway on Sicily DZ"

To all you internet Dicks, what's that in the bottom left of the pic?

TS

Team Sergeant
04-21-2004, 08:21
Oh, and real HALO teams jump in BDU's.......

CommoGeek
04-21-2004, 09:00
Originally posted by Team Sergeant

TS

I can't make it out. At first glance I thought it was a D-bag and bridle with the spring-loaded PC out of view of the camera, but I'm not sure about that guess. That item looks to be OD green and I thought the D-bags on -1XX rigs were black.

NousDefionsDoc
04-21-2004, 14:25
Oh, and real HALO teams jump in BDU's.......

Ok, here we go with the measuring contest.

This was a hollywood jump with guests from Spec Ops from all over the world. Even the Phrench were there with their little orange jumpsuits.

A good troop dresses appropriately for the situation.

We usually jumped BDUs as well. And I have on UDTs under the jumpsuit so I could tan after the op while packing. It was in July and since there aren't many Latinos "Blanco como una leche", it was concurrent training to stay sharp for the TAOR.

754 was famous in the community for HALO ops. We rarely, I mean rarely jumped without CE, rarely in the day.

754 is the only Team I ever heard of that turned points in a 7 way (that's all we had) at night, in full combat equipment, on O2 . Even an Instructor from the school said he had never heard of it.

This is the Team that dragged the Golden Knight's packing mats off site at Camp MACKALL.

This is the Team that landed 3 guys on the roof of the airport mock up at MACKALL and two members on one side of the door and two members on the other side - stacked and ready for entry.

This is the Team that got a safety card from the Group Safety Officer and XO for landing two guys in the back of a pickup truck and one on the hood.

This is the Team chosen by Group to attempt the first HALO insert of a major field exercise in a tornado. We didn't do it because the Air Force refused to fly, but we were ready.

The Team that the Group CSM flew out to Texas to train with because he heard "There was good Army training going on."

Plus all the stuff Jerry posted before.

People used to get pissed at us because we always had our rucks with us and made them look bad.

I was only allowed to jump hollywood because it was my first one back.

:lifter LOL

CommoGeek
04-21-2004, 14:39
754 is the only Team I ever heard of that turned points in a 7 way (that's all we had) at night, in full combat equipment, on O2 . Even an Instructor from the school said he had never heard of it.

This is the Team that landed 3 guys on the roof of the airport mock up at MACKALL and two members on one side of the door and two members on the other side - stacked and ready for entry.

This is the Team that got a safety card from the Group Safety Officer and XO for landing two guys in the back of a pickup truck and one on the hood.

Folks, from a civilian skydiver POV, the above is bad ass. This isn't a case of one guy being good and dragging the rest with him, EVERYBODY has to be good. Turning points with a ruck? A ruck affects your aerodynamics and how you "fly" your body and O2 will limit your vision. The amount of canopy control to do the other two above is most impressive.

NDD, how many jumps did the average team member have?

The Reaper
04-21-2004, 14:47

TS

Looks like a sandbag, or the remains of one to me.

TR

Surgicalcric
04-21-2004, 14:53
Drive-on rag that someone dropped??

Sacamuelas
04-21-2004, 14:55
Originally posted by Surgicalcric
Drive-on rag that someone dropped??

DOH!! I am glad someone else said it. It was killing me to keep quiet. But with my new avatar I thought it best to sit tight. :p

NousDefionsDoc
04-21-2004, 14:58
One Team Sergeant, from what I heard, had the 2nd most in the world - a Phrenchman was first. Something on the order of 7k. He was a Knight, MFF Instructor, etc.

The other two I had while there had a couple of k each.

Everybody had more than enough for a D License. I ended up with probably between 300 and 500, and was no where near the front.

We would go off somewhere a couple of times a year for intense training. We jumped with anybody that would give us a hole in flight - ABN board, Group static line jumps, etc. If we saw a Huey or a Blackhawk somewhere, the TS would go over "Hey, think we could get a ride?" LOL

We took it seriously, it was our speciality infil and we wanted to be ready if called. A lot of people don't realize how hard it is to do and get everybody within the same small area. Especially when you have new guys coming in and out. We had a core that could fly, and always somebody new that was still learning. There wasn't any slack - "Get in or Get Gone!" LOL

The Knights and other Teams used to get mad at us for dragging their mats. For those that don't know, a lot of hollywood HALO guys are issued or buy these little plastic mats to lay on the ground to re-pack their rigs. Very chic - kind of like those faggoty mats people use to do their abs on. So when an op is going on, each groups stakes out their area and lays their mats out.

What you do is come in under canopy at about 30 MPH and hook the mats with your feet and drag them out of their area and leave them scattered all over the place. A mark of skill and utter contempt for the enemy - kind of the HALO version of counting coup by the Indians. And of course everybody is watching and all the groupies are going "Oooah" "Aaah!". The names the other guys call you when you do it can be quite interesting. LOL

Sigi
04-21-2004, 15:00
Per NDD's post.

In an attempt to understand, would it be OK to explain the following:
We rarely, I mean rarely jumped without CE, rarely in the day.
CE? 754 is the only Team I ever heard of that turned points in a 7 way
I am a nonjumper. 7 way?This is the Team that got a safety card from the Group Safety Officer and XO for landing two guys in the back of a pickup truck and one on the hood.
Forgive me. Why the safety card for this? This is the Team chosen by Group to attempt the first HALO insert of a major field exercise in a tornado.
With the utmost respect, why would you insert in a tornado?

This might be another stupid question. What is a hollywood jump?

There are times I am confused on this board because of my ignorance. Just trying to understand.

Sounds like 754 was a special Team.

NousDefionsDoc
04-21-2004, 15:01
Jerry was a big instigator of the mats, along with the guy in the dental picture pulling the tooth. We would all walk around looking to see who was set up where. Then on the bird, everybody would just look at each other and smile - "Mats?" "Mats!"

Golden Knights were always a favorite target. LOL

The Reaper
04-21-2004, 15:10
NDD:

Were you with us the night we let Sweeney spot and he missed Sicily by over six miles?

He was a static jumpmaster and was home in bed before we figured out where we were.

We all landed in a farmer's field less than 50m. apart. LTC Brown, the BC had jumped Hollywood with us.

It was cold, and while we were breaking out snivel gear from our rucks, he was shivering. I offered him a spare set of socks for his hands, but he declined. He did accept a cup of hot tea from the TS, who had jumped a Thermos.

After he complained some more, I asked him if he wanted to borrow my knife to stay warm.

He asked how the heck a knife would help him get warm.

I told him he could kill the wild dog that was stalking us and stick his hands inside the body till they warmed up.

He declined.

The TS and I walked to a local trailer park and beat on a door till someone let us use the phone to call the SDNCO at the unit, who refused to accept a collect call from us.

We were about four hours late getting back, but still did better than the other ODA that jumped and let every swinging Richard run for the DZ individually. They were non-mission capable, scattered all over North Post, and took a couple more hours to round up. The Det Cdr is a Group Commander now, so it didn't hurt him too bad.

TR

NousDefionsDoc
04-21-2004, 15:15
Sigi - CE is Combat Equipment. Rucksack, LBE and rifle usually. Serious, not play.

Seven way means you have seven guys in formation in free fall, usually hanging on to each other. Like on the TV. Turning points is you let go, do some type of manuever and come back to hang on a again.

Well, I don't think it was an actually tornado, just the worst storm in Western Pennsylvania in recent memory. We were going to do it because is was in the op order.

Hollywood jump is play - no equipment, usually in the daytime, play.

Safety card was formally for landing off the DZ on purpose. The XO was pissed because he considered it showing off and dangerous - which it was of course. He was not happy.

Yeah, '54 was special, in a short bus kinda way. LOL

NousDefionsDoc
04-21-2004, 15:18
Were you with us the night we let Sweeney spot and he missed Sicily by over six miles?

Just before I got there, you guys were still thawing out, IIRC.

And still pissed. LOL

Team Sergeant
04-21-2004, 15:19
Ok, here we go with the measuring contest.

This was a hollywood jump with guests from Spec Ops from all over the world. Even the Phrench were there with their little orange jumpsuits.

A good troop dresses appropriately for the situation.

We usually jumped BDUs as well. And I have on UDTs under the jumpsuit so I could tan after the op while packing. It was in July and since there aren't many Latinos "Blanco como una leche", it was concurrent training to stay sharp for the TAOR.

754 was famous in the community for HALO ops. We rarely, I mean rarely jumped without CE, rarely in the day.

This is the Team that dragged the Golden Knight's packing mats off site at Camp MACKALL.

This is the Team chosen by Group to attempt the first HALO insert of a major field exercise in a tornado. We didn't do it because the Air Force refused to fly, but we were ready.

The Team that the Group CSM flew out to Texas to train with because he heard "There was good Army training going on."

Plus all the stuff Jerry posted before.

People used to get pissed at us because we always had our rucks with us and made them look bad.

I was only allowed to jump hollywood because it was my first one back.

:lifter LOL

Yeah yeah yeah.

Well having jumped with the GK’s I can tell you they have nothing on me.

Let me tell you in my day I’ve turned 12 points in 5 seconds after leaving the tail of a 141 at 16,000 ft CE. (Not intentionally)

Style and accuracy not a problem, we’ve never missed walking onto the right plane.

Oh and as far as RW, no one Rolls Wildly better than me.

TS

Solid
04-21-2004, 15:20
NDD- Were you kidding when you said that you didn't enjoy jumping?

Solid

NousDefionsDoc
04-21-2004, 15:24
Let me tell you in my day I’ve turned 12 points in 5 seconds after leaving the tail of a 141 at 16,000 ft CE. (Not intentionally)

Been there done that. My nickname was Samsonite for quite awhile. After that commercial where they throw the suitcase out to show how tough it is. LOL

NousDefionsDoc
04-21-2004, 15:25
Originally posted by Solid
NDD- Were you kidding when you said that you didn't enjoy jumping?

Solid

No, I hated it.

But if you land the furtherest out, you have to buy beer for the rest of the Team, and I hated that even worse.

Sigi
04-21-2004, 15:40
Thank you NDD.

Solid
04-21-2004, 15:40
LOL! Well, thank the lord, there may be hope for me yet.

Solid

The Reaper
04-21-2004, 15:41

TS

Looks like a sandbag, or the remains of one to me.

TR

NousDefionsDoc
04-21-2004, 15:44
I don't know what it is, it looks like a sandbag to me as well. I know it isn't trash, we picked up all the trash and pine cones on that DZ on support cycle. :boohoo

Razor
04-21-2004, 15:47
No, I hated it.

But if you land the furtherest out, you have to buy beer for the rest of the Team, and I hated that even worse.

Hence the perpetual 'grumpy face' he now bears. :D

QRQ 30
04-21-2004, 17:19
WOW!!!!
Were any of you around when they still had the "Low" in HALO? Originally the opening altitude was around 1200-1500. The original concept was to drop in suddenly. The canopies were T-10s modified with steering slots. They had no forward velocity to speak of. Accuracy on the ground was more dependent upon opening point. The present system is more clandestine. When they opened at 1500 ft the canopies made a very loud "Crack". If you didn't see them you sure heard them.

BTW: Marty Freeman once told me to turn my altimeter in for a tachometer.:D

NousDefionsDoc
04-21-2004, 17:29
BTW: Marty Freeman once told me to turn my altimeter in for a tachometer.

LOL - -Good one. I called my Altimeter "EDD" - Estimated Distance to Death.

I never jumped the rig you describe, but we did get out of a Blackhawk once well below opening altitude for the MT-1XX. Exit procedure was hand on rip cord. I quit a whole bunch of times that day. LOL

Ambush Master
04-21-2004, 17:35
Remember my experience in a Cessna 195 at 100 FEET !!!

NousDefionsDoc
04-21-2004, 17:39
Originally posted by Ambush Master
Remember my experience in a Cessna 195 at 100 FEET !!!

LOL - I think its supposed to be intentional and the gear designed for that use. You should tell it for those that haven't heard it - awesome example of saving your own life by not panicking (on the outside).:munchin

NousDefionsDoc
04-21-2004, 18:13
So, you guys like the pics or are we boring the hell out of everybody?

Sacamuelas
04-21-2004, 18:19
So, you guys like the pics...?

Yes. Didn't want to hijack...as long as you guys keep goin' I am just going to sit and read/look.

Thanks to all those who have contributed in this and all the other recent pic threads.

Please continue... AM that story sounds like it needs telling in the Brief Back forum. :cool:

froglegz
04-21-2004, 18:33
remember the big night.... it was the last time i ever let anyone else spot for the team..... skygod my ass!!!!! we drug a 9 way off the ramp and it went to shit immediately with me still holding on to jt. i was laughing so hard.. it was his first back from his ny stint and night, CE, high, and a team full of everything was a terrifying recipe for anyone. i rodeoed him to about 6k and sent him on his way with a big sloppy one on the lips.

i do remember that the bc's biggest question was why did the commo man have a ruck full of food, knives, guns and a sleeping bag but no commo???? he forgot on the last jump the sr commo had dropped the newest prc-70 in group onto the asphalt in front of the sicily bleachers and infront of the gathered families of b-2-7. what is $35k when you are a "special" team.

froglegz
04-21-2004, 18:36
left group and left 754 with 839 jumps and my last 2 were functions on st mere (courtesy of big O). it did prove that my reserve packs were good though......... never let O touch your shit.... he used to brag he had enough functions to get a d liscense with them alone.

froglegz
04-21-2004, 18:37
and one more thing ndd.... i am calling bs on that haircut line, you with me tr?

Para
04-21-2004, 19:07
Originally posted by jerry morris
and one more thing ndd.... i am calling bs on that haircut line, you with me tr?
LMFAO

The Reaper
04-21-2004, 19:12
Originally posted by jerry morris

That is the shortest I had ever seen his hair except when he first reported in, but he wasn't the worst on the team by a long shot.

I think he figured if he frapped in on his first jump back, he should look good the next day laying in the box.

We did have fun with JT that night. I remember watching your two chemlites close and the break apart, you told me later what you did.

I was with you on the jump the day you accidentally cut away the ruck with the PRC-70, that thing looked like the Fist of God hit it in one side and neatly punched all of the sensitive little circuit board components out the other side.

I have already told the story elsewhere about the night in the Grenadan forest when we got the call to move out, and you kept disappearing till finally we had to lay up. Then the biggest tree I have ever heard in my life fell. Remember the pyro incidents where people we met kept getting blown up? How about the meeting with the new BC there and you kept screwing the antenna connectors together and mesmerized him?

Gary O was at the GB Club a few weeks ago and I sgot to chat with him for a while. The odds of letting him check my pins, much less work on my rig were so low as to equal zero. He packed a rig into a grocery bag and daisy chained the lines to jump a chopper one day.

You have one more jump than you thought from the day I "borrowed" your card to jump civilian on my parent's farm.

Appreciate that, hermano, and thanks much for the memories!

You are still the best commo man I ever met. FM??...its freaking magic!

TR

NousDefionsDoc
04-21-2004, 19:19
No slack! NO SLACK! Even after 15 years! LOL - I was G Chiefing and TACing for the sluggos at Robin Sage, came in from the field to make the jump and went right back out. I had to set a good example for the troops. LOL

Man I miss you guys!

froglegz
04-21-2004, 19:36
same here bro....... hey tr your parents still on the farm... very cool place and a beautiful jump.

The Reaper
04-21-2004, 19:45
Lost Dad three years ago.

Mom and Brother still live on the place, along with a bunch of uncles and cousins.

Haven't jumped there in a long time.

Good memories. Will probably do another pig pickin' soon.

TR

Sweetbriar
04-21-2004, 20:43

We like the pics and the stories - very muchly. Thanks for sharing them.

brownapple
04-21-2004, 22:06
CE - Combat Equipment

Hollywood - A jump without combat equipment (jumper in uniform with boots and helmet, parachute - no LBE, no ruck).

Smokin Joe
04-21-2004, 22:46

Great Thread NDD.

Thank you all for sharing.

These stories are great. Telling a SF LTC to kill a wild dog with your knife so he can stay warm. That is priceless! That would have been great to see.

I could read this stuff all night:munchin

Ambush Master
04-22-2004, 07:51
From a previous Post:
Hell NDD, I never expected to see 1972 !!!! And then I made close to 900 Sport jumps on everything from 28' 7TUs to Delta II Parawings with a few early '70s Para-Planes and Clouds thrown in. My regular canopy of choice was a Para-Commander with a Tri-Con reserve (23' Zero Porocity Canopy).

That reserve saved my ass twice. Once, a streamered main (the deployment broke my collarbone) and once from the door of a Cessna 195 at around 100 FEET. I was sitting in the Door facing aft, we were taking off just about to clear the airport boundary when the engine quit and I departed the aircraft. We found the reserve ripcord handle inside the wreckage.

Jumping is relative. It is far safer than the drive any of us make to work every day !!!

Later
Martin

NousDefionsDoc
04-22-2004, 11:31
"I'll bet he can't find the spot again!"

"Hell, I can see it from here out the window!"

The Reaper
04-22-2004, 11:56
Looks to me like the guy beside you is saying something and thumbing at you.

Maybe they are looking for wind dummy volunteers.

I have a pretty good idea where it was taken.

TR

Team Sergeant
04-22-2004, 12:46
The toughest thing about jumping CE is getting to the door/ramp....

Team Sergeant
04-22-2004, 12:55
3 Seconds later...

NousDefionsDoc
04-22-2004, 14:09
That's what I'm talking about! LOL

Psywar1-0
04-22-2004, 20:36
Ok Sky Gods, couple of questions.

Im going to be exiting an aircraft while in flight for the first time in about 4 years next week, been almost 9 since I did a Civ Jump.

Are Wiley Xs decent for jump goggles?

Is a flight suit OK to jump at Raeford? or will I get a buch of strange looks?

Thanks,

Luke

Roycroft201
04-22-2004, 21:11
Those two pictures Team Sergeant just posted are incredible - certainly for those of us who never have a chance to see things from the perspective you do. Those two shots make me feel as if I am standing right behind you all (and that's about as far as I think I would get myself to go in that doorway- unless I was 'attached' to someone ! LOL ).

Boring us with pictures and stories? Never !!

Thanks for sharing !

Roycroft 201

NousDefionsDoc
04-23-2004, 02:45
Originally posted by Psywar1-0
Ok Sky Gods, couple of questions.

Im going to be exiting an aircraft while in flight for the first time in about 4 years next week, been almost 9 since I did a Civ Jump.

Are Wiley Xs decent for jump goggles?

Is a flight suit OK to jump at Raeford? or will I get a buch of strange looks?

Thanks,

Luke

Luke,
I've never worn Wiley X. As long as they fit fairly snug against your orgits, have a little ventilation and don't fall off when you stick your head out the car window at 130 MPH, they'll work.

I doubt you'll get a strange look at Raeford, but some CSM may want to know where you got stolen USG property. LOL. Just kidding, I would jump a flight suit at raeford any day.

NousDefionsDoc
04-29-2004, 17:50
Originally posted by Roycroft201
Those two pictures Team Sergeant just posted are incredible - certainly for those of us who never have a chance to see things from the perspective you do. Those two shots make me feel as if I am standing right behind you all (and that's about as far as I think I would get myself to go in that doorway- unless I was 'attached' to someone ! LOL ).

Boring us with pictures and stories? Never !!

Thanks for sharing !

Roycroft 201

We took a rigger with us to the desert once. He looked about 15. He was ABN, but had never seen a HALO jump. So our TS invites him to ride the bird. 0300 somewhere over Mexico. We fly NOE for about an hour, then up to altitude. The rigger kid is sitting back and to the right of the guys in the TS pic are standing, all strapped in. The crack the hole at about 12k and the kid gets this weird look on his face and starts shaking his head like "No!".

We stand up and I'm standing right beside the kid. We go all through the pre-jump and get ready. Our TS winks at me, so I yell at the kid "What's wrong?"

"You guys are crazy! I can't believe you're going to go out there!"

So I grap him by his shirt sleeve like I'm going to drag him off the seat. "COME ON! There's nothing to it!"

He started screaming like a banshee. LOL. Guess he forgot he was strapped in.

Did the same thing to a Mushroomhead doorgunner on a Blackhawks once - he peed his pants.

NousDefionsDoc
04-29-2004, 17:54
Some of the really good guys used to climb out on the wheels of the Blackhawks and make their way around to the front and bang on the glass. Scared the piss out of the pilots.

I always thought that was so cool.

So we're down in Panama and I tell the TS I want to try it. Well the bastard set me up. He told the pilots. Apparently there's a lever or something that locks the wheels and doesn't let them spin. They normally lock it in flight. Since he told them what I was going to do, they didn't.

So I step out on the wheel, it spins and all of a sudden I'm in freefall. I look up and everybody else is laughing and waving at me.

I walked a long ways that day.

Sacamuelas
04-29-2004, 18:21
LOL... Great stories NDD. I am beginning to see where you obtained your sense of humor. Thanks for sharing

The Reaper
04-29-2004, 18:27
We took a rigger with us to the desert once. He looked about 15. He was ABN, but had never seen a HALO jump. So our TS invites him to ride the bird. 0300 somewhere over Mexico. We fly NOE for about an hour, then up to altitude. The rigger kid is sitting back and to the right of the guys in the TS pic are standing, all strapped in. The crack the hole at about 12k and the kid gets this weird look on his face and starts shaking his head like "No!".

We stand up and I'm standing right beside the kid. We go all through the pre-jump and get ready. Our TS winks at me, so I yell at the kid "What's wrong?"

"You guys are crazy! I can't believe you're going to go out there!"

So I grap him by his shirt sleeve like I'm going to drag him off the seat. "COME ON! There's nothing to it!"

He started screaming like a banshee. LOL. Guess he forgot he was strapped in.

Did the same thing to a Mushroomhead doorgunner on a Blackhawks once - he peed his pants.

You mean like I am doing with this Airedale?

Note that I have a parachute, he is on a monkey harness.

Our Boss at the time, an AF Colonel took the pic, and told me,

"I can explain losing an SF guy to the AF a lot easier than I can explain losing a good USAF NCO. You manage to lose him off the ramp, you have to do his job, too."

I let him go.

TR

NousDefionsDoc
04-29-2004, 18:29
THAT'S IT exactly! Only he wasn't smiling and he was sitting in that last seat. Great pic.

Smokin Joe
03-21-2005, 07:46
I saw this clip and it reminded me of NDD's story of dragging mats so I figured I would share.

http://www.m90.org/view_image.php?image_id=3676

504PIR
03-21-2005, 08:55
Guys this a great thread!!!

Ambush Master
03-21-2005, 17:55
Some of the really good guys used to climb out on the wheels of the Blackhawks and make their way around to the front and bang on the glass. Scared the piss out of the pilots.

We had a Twin Beech that had "Handholds" on the top and sides of the fuselage. I used to climb out and make my way to the tail and grab the elevator and after all were off, shake the hell out of it and the Pilot almost left the ship !!! :eek:

When we got to the ground and he landed, he was still shaking, he thought that he either had a "Jumper-in-tow" or the tail was comming off. He almost quit until I told him what I had done, and then he almost quit anyway !!! He was some pissed !!! :D

NousDefionsDoc
03-21-2005, 18:29
LOL - damn aviators got no sense of humor. :munchin

The Reaper
03-21-2005, 18:32

I hear that the airedales get the ass when jumpers exit the front door of a Chinook, too. :munchin

TR

NousDefionsDoc
03-21-2005, 18:39
I hear that the airedales get the ass when jumpers exit the front door of a Chinook, too. :munchin

TR
LOL! OMG, that's right, I had forgotten about that one. Yeah, they weren't real happy.

CommoGeek
03-21-2005, 18:53
I've seen guys hang like a bat with their feet from the leading edge of a cessna 182 wing and video of guys doing what AM described only on a twOtter to include a 2-way off the tail.

I used to jump at a DZ that had a cessna with retractable gear (C-185?) and the pilot wiuld lock the wheel for us as well so we could chunck our lauch from it. One day I'm spotting and the pilot forgets. As the spotter I'm in the door so I'm out first. The strut had a little metal step on it before you got to the wheel so I'm on it first before I hop/ step to the wheel with the rest of the guys taking their positions (once the little step is vacated another guy wuld use that as his footing).

I step on the wheel and realize it isn't locked. I'm trying to balance on this thing (I find out later it wasn't fully locked, the pilot made an error) and end up running like a hamster in his wheel albeit at a slower pace. I'm wearing a fullfaced helmet so my expression can't be seen but my buddy behind me sees what's happening and yells "we exit NOW" to the other 3 jumpers (that model of cessna could carry 5) in the back of the plane. Unable to keep running in place (booties suck for this) I'm off and a gaggle of jumpers follows. I think the 5-way got 2 points and the pilot was asked to fully secure the brake on the next jump run.

CommoGeek
03-21-2005, 18:59

We were in a twin bonanza and the pilot decided to do some zero g stuff. I'm told that the carburetors on this a/c don’t like zero g but I’m not sure about the cause. What I am sure of is that after doing the zero g the left engine stops. A twin bo with enough speed can maybe hold its own in level flight but it can’t land like that.

The pilot gives us the order to get out. He had enough control of the a/c to get us over the airport but that was all he wanted to risk and told us as much. One of the jumpers elected to give the pilot corrections like “5 right” complete with hand gestures. :lifter

The pilot wasn’t amused. Twin bo, full load of jumpers and fuel, Georgia in the summer, one motor… no sporting blood in him I guess.

He’s now a pilot for a major airline.

aricbcool
03-22-2005, 18:35
Very entertaining thread everyone. Thanks for sharing. :munchin