PDA

View Full Version : IV Training Aid

bluebb
05-21-2007, 12:53
While reading the 18C thread I noticed that X SF Med had posted some engineer tips. So I decided to pass along some medical training advice.

On a deployment to Uzbekistan in the mid 90s our team was giving IV training to a company sized element of the Uzbek Army that was part of the CENTRASBAT. We needed a training aid that we could use to teach these young soldiers how to insert the IV needle into the vain and we didn't want them sticking the hell out of each other.

This is what I came up with as a training aid.

Supplies
IV tubing 8 inch sections
Splint boards (the thin wood type) 6 inch sections
Latex Gloves (1 glove per board)
Tape

Instructions
Run the IV tubing across the middle of the splint board. Staple the IV tubing to the board at the top and bottom. Pull the latex glove over the board. Tape the fingers down to the back of the board so they are out of the way. Done.

You can staple the IV tubing tightly or loosely (to simulate a rolling vain).

It worked pretty good

Blue (18C)

SRT31B
05-22-2007, 11:00
Thanks for that.

I may give that a try with my joes when we hit up TC3 again.

rab97
05-23-2007, 15:57
Some of the instructors at the JSOMTC use a similar device to help guys that need extra help with IVs. I used one, and it helped tremendously. Coban makes a decent synthetic skin.

crash
05-23-2007, 22:54
I was showed this a while back. Since I've made them a few diffrent ways for some of the new medics, I still have one on my desk, works great. Really helps out with just getting used to and comfortable with the needle in your hand.
Nothing beats a little muscle memory:lifter

Some of the instructors at the JSOMTC use a similar device to help guys that need extra help with IVs. I used one, and it helped tremendously. Coban makes a decent synthetic skin.

penrose tubing as well, I normally use a popsicle stick with the iv tubing taped to in on the ends, cut the penrose tubing and tape in on the back, stretch it across the front, once or twice depending how thick you want it..

I'll have to try the coban... Thanks...

AF IDMT
05-24-2007, 01:31
Wish I would have had this little nugget of knowledge when I was going through CSTARS in Baltimore. We started lines on each other so much that by the time we got to our rotations at Shock Trauma we all looked like drug users with bad aim.:rolleyes:
I am definitely building one of these things. Thanks for the info.