PDA

View Full Version : Totally Unacceptable!!!

CoLawman
05-12-2007, 12:49
You have got to be kidding me!

A patrol comes under attack and the Quick Reaction Force does not arrive for an hour.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18627335/

Rest in Peace soldiers and may God help us recover the missing soldiers. This is totally unacceptable knowing our troops can come under fire a mere 20 miles from thousands of American troops and it takes an hour to get to them. Someone needs to be hauled before a firing squad! And change the damn name to Slow Reaction Force!

Pete
05-12-2007, 13:11
...the Quick Reaction Force does not arrive for an hour..

The story does not say "Quick Reaction Force" it says "troops".

Something went wrong and it does not look good right now but I'll wait for more information.

To react you have to be (or not) called. As in all cases, more of the story will come out in the next few days.

Pete

CoLawman
05-12-2007, 13:18
The story does not say "Quick Reaction Force" it says "troops".

Something went wrong and it does not look good right now but I'll wait for more information.

To react you have to be (or not) called. As in all cases, more of the story will come out in the next few days.

Pete

Pete, I am using Major Gen. William Caldwell's assessment in the video link that I posted. My reaction is based on his statement. Coalition forces in close proximity reported explosions. They attempted unsuccessful contact with the patrol that was under attack. A UAV arrived within 15 minutes and confirmed burning vehicles. The QRF for dispatched and arrived approximately one hour after the report of the explosions. That is where my anger comes from.

Pete
05-12-2007, 13:41
In the story it says "troops", in the Generals first run through he uses Coalition Forces, only in the last quick run through does he use Quick Reaction Force.

As I said, I'll wait for a bit more of the story to come out.

As you said 1 hour is not very quick.

jwt5
05-12-2007, 18:36
I agree we should wait before pointing the finger just yet.

IIRC that area they were patrolling was off limits to anything except armor and helos in 2005 due to the number of people lost. So it should be interesting to read all the details.

RIP Brothers and I hope they find the other 3 real soon.

Joe S.
05-12-2007, 19:24
Notice the use of the term QRF here.

I know in the Marines we use the term QRF. Does the Army also use this term?

Trying to assertain as to who the QRF might have been.

Will wait for further intel as well before I hang my hat on this one.

Hope they find your guys though. Preferably alive of course.

Sionnach
05-12-2007, 20:50
Yes. The Army uses the term QRF. Our squad was assigned to QRF several times during Able Sentry, and we had to be en route in via the chosen method of insertion in a very short time. To our annoyance, and his credit, our squad leader made us rehearse over and over. We could be "wheels up" very fast, but our arrival time was dependent upon the insertion method. Due to OpSec, I've omitted details. Iraq is a very different situation, I've never been there, so I can't intelligently comment on it.

Like others, I'm waiting for information, and my thoughts and prayers are with the soldiers both missing and in deceased.

Shar
05-15-2007, 17:11
I can't figure out who to yell at at NBC for this:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18671589/

First they tag it on the homepage as "Military ID's Missing Soldiers" and then they hide the ball in the story that they got this information leaked. No other network is reporting the names (yet). Who does this? Who'd leak these names? I'm not 100% certain they've notified everyone that needs to be notified yet!! I've been in contact with my friends at Drum and they didn't know what was going on until this morning when they started having briefings and obviously none of them had any clue about names. I surely hope all the families have been notified - the news reports and the DoD briefings seem to indicate some question about that. In the story itself it says that they know full well that there are 4 of them in the "unknown" category because they aren't sure who the 4th KIA is as opposed to who is missing - they just listed them all.

FURY.

We've been very anxiously waiting for news on this as this is my husband's best friend's unit 4-31 and so in one sense we're relieved... but in another I'm about to come unhinged.

I've looked all over the MSNBC site for how to contact someone and yell at them but I haven't found anything but the lame "contact us" link. :mad:

These poor families and their soldiers... :(

Shar
05-15-2007, 18:19
DoD has released the names now:
http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=10878

And MSNBC hasn't changed the tone of their article.

I'll quit griping now but I don't like the press.

Gypsy
05-15-2007, 18:35
DoD has released the names now:
http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=10878

And MSNBC hasn't changed the tone of their article.

I'll quit griping now but I don't like the press.

Don't expect them to either. I don't know too many folks who have much use for the MSM...

My prayers are with our missing Soldiers and their families/friends.

echoes
05-15-2007, 18:50
My prayers are out! The missing will be found!

Holly

pegasus
05-15-2007, 18:56
Tried to find a link to confirm the information, but I can't find anything.

Heard on the radio the QRF were blocked. Deliberate delay tactics, ambushes, IED's etc to prevent them reaching the patrol. The description was very brief.

TENGU
05-19-2007, 09:10
Copy that Pegasus. Been hearing same thing from various sources. The QRF
was delayed by orchestrated IED's , road blocks, sniping etc. This was a typical
"Deliberate Ambush". Including well executed escape.