PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Derby

82ndtrooper
05-05-2007, 15:32
Ok, I'm trying this from a Blackberry wireless. I'll try to type corrdectly.

The 133rd Kentucky Derby is aboutunderway and my money is on "Curlin" to at least show. His post postition if not all that great as h's in the #2 gate and will have to move to the rail quickly if he wants to take postion fast.

Hope all is well, and hope your watching the Derby.

I'm in the infield and we've alerady had several drunks carted off by the EMTs for passing out. What a lovely place to be. (sarcasm)

Make your bets quickly the gates here at Churchhill are about to close.

GO CURLIN !!!

Gypsy
05-05-2007, 16:48
Wave hello to the Queen for me.

:D

82ndtrooper
05-05-2007, 19:24
Wave hello to the Queen for me.

:D

Only saw the Queen threw some guy's binos out from the infield.

While betting I did spot Larry Birkhead (father of Anna Nicoles baby) and Gene Simmons and Kid Rock. Female celibrities spotted were Cybil Shepard and Sela Ward. (That's one great looking lady)

I placed $200 on Curlin to show and that he did !! He was third at 5-1 odds. You do the math. I think another new H&K USP in June or July when the new models come out is in the works. ;)

Gypsy
05-05-2007, 20:27
Congrats on your winnings!

pegasus
05-05-2007, 21:24
Congrats on your winnings.

Since you started a thread on the Derby, here is my favorite commercial from Europe on the Belmont. Well....I think it's funny :p

http://www.1derful.com/Video/1457.WMV

mffjm8509
05-05-2007, 21:33
Great Race!

I honeslty thought Hard Spun had it won from the gate. Hell of a come from behind win though.....

Congrats on your win! 5 to 1? Nice!

mp

82ndtrooper
05-05-2007, 21:41
Congrats on your winnings.

Since you started a thread on the Derby, here is my favorite commercial from Europe on the Belmont. Well....I think it's funny :p

http://www.1derful.com/Video/1457.WMV

That video is hilarious !! From an insurance company none the less.:rolleyes:

The Kentucky Derby is not just not another "Day at the races" it's an experience everyone should take during their lifetime. Sure the Breeders Cup and just about any Friday at Keenland during race time of the year is also a great experience. I dont think you'll find a more gorgeous race track than Keenland, Kentucky.

The Derby provides all that horse racing is about. It's the sport of Kings and on derby day if their are any Kings, they are at Churchill Downs dressed to the nines. Of course this year the Queen Of England was there along with a couple hundred celebrities ranging from Larry Birckhead to Payton Manning and Sela Ward.

This year was my first year in the "Infield" and If was 21 years old again it would have been the time of the my life. Naked drunk muddy women, fat naked men passed out in the mud, and a live football game that turned into a mud wrestling contest with both men and women alike. Plently of clothes got pulled off and most were removed voluntarily.:D What a wonderful place to be when your 43 years old and dressed in pleated slacks and a starched Polo button down collar shirt. :rolleyes: I should have worn the desert Altamas.

For you women out their in PS.COM you'd enjoy the hats and the dresses. They range from down right funky to elegant.

Today was rather cloudy, spotted rain, and muddy track most of the afternoon. I've been to better day's and better races, but I've never left with more money in my pocket than I came with. This year was a first for me.

mffjm8509
05-05-2007, 21:51
This year was my first year in the "Infield" and If was 21 years old again it would have been the time of the my life. Naked drunk muddy women, fat naked men passed out in the mud, and a live football game that turned into a mud wrestling contest with both men and women alike. Plently of clothes got pulled off and most were removed voluntarily.:D What a wonderful place to be when your 43 years old and dressed in pleated slacks and a starched Polo button down collar shirt. :rolleyes: I should have worn the desert Altamas.

Thats what I'm talking about..............I didnt see that on TV. Thats my crowd!

My wife has been bugging me to take a trip for the Makers Mark "Thoroughbreds and redheads" weekend. I might be inclined to make that trip on "the infield" ;)

mp

82ndtrooper
05-05-2007, 21:56
Thats what I'm talking about..............I didnt see that on TV. Thats my crowd!

My wife has been bugging me to take a trip for the Makers Mark "Thoroughbreds and redheads" weekend. I might be inclined to make that trip on "the infield" ;)

mp

Trust me, you wont ever regret it, but you'll remember it for the rest of your life.;)

Do yourself and favor and come down a day early and take the Makers Mark tour of their facility. You'll get plenty of taste tests and even a couple of bottles for the road. You'll love this side of the world during race season. ;)

If you want to see pics of the stars and of the mud wresting then go to :

www.kentuckyderby.com

Just look for the "Photo Gallery" secton and have some fun.

82ndtrooper
05-06-2007, 00:58
Here is a great place to stay and enjoy the Kentucky country side.

You'll be within an hour of about anything worth seeing in Kentucky. You'll be about 40 minutes from Churchill Downs and 3 miles from from Makers Mark. Lisa Marie and Bobby Williams are good people and born and bred Kentuckians.

If your ever inclined to stay in Augusta, Kentucky the home of George Clooney and my first cousin Ms. America 2000 Heather Renee French Henry then stay at the Lamp Lighter Inn. Another bed and breakfast that is worth the money and right next to the river and shops. Anitques and other goodies that make your wife happy.

HERE:

http://www.thehillhouseky.com/aboutus.html

My first cousin Heather Renee French has stuck to her roots for her Ms. America platform and has a foundation for homeless Vietnam Vets.

Please visit:

http://www.heathersveterans.org/index.htm

The Reaper
05-06-2007, 08:05
I think I have read the name George Clooney more times today than I want to. Please stop putting it up. Is he your first cousin too?

TR

Roguish Lawyer
05-06-2007, 10:31
I can't wait for my dream trip of Kentucky distilleries plus The Derby. One day . . .

echoes
05-06-2007, 11:47
For you women out their in PS.COM you'd enjoy the hats and the dresses. They range from down right funky to elegant.

82nd...Congrats on the win!!!

I have seen pic's over the years of the "hats & dresses." They are very beautiful, but alas, I would still wear my hiking boots and Army Surpluss cammo's. Of course with a "Get Selected" tee! :D

Ya think they's let me in?:cool:

Holly

P.S. Good for your cousin! That is great she's stickin to her guns.

82ndtrooper
05-06-2007, 14:41
I think I have read the name George Clooney more times today than I want to. Please stop putting it up. Is he your first cousin too?

TR

Didn't you know that everyone in Kentucky is related ? first, second or third cousins have been known to get married quite often here. :p :munchin

RL: If you dress anything like your avatar you'll fit right in with "Infield" crowd.:p

Holly: Yes, you'd fit right into the "Infield" crowd with a "Get Selected" tee and some combat boots. Really, you would.

The Reaper
05-09-2007, 08:53
Good job, Jeff Ruby.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,270879,00.html

TR

Steakhouse Owner Refuses to Serve O.J. Simpson
Wednesday, May 09, 2007

LOUISVILLE, Ky. —

The owner of an upscale steakhouse in Louisville said he asked O.J. Simpson to leave his restaurant the night before the Kentucky Derby because he is sickened by the attention Simpson still attracts.

"I didn't want to serve him because of my convictions of what he's done to those families," Jeff Ruby said in a telephone interview Tuesday. "The way he continues to torture the lives of those families ... with his behavior, attitude and conduct."

Simpson, an NFL Hall of Famer and Heisman Trophy winner, was found innocent in 1995 of killing his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and Ron Goldman but was found liable in a civil trial that followed.

Ruby — who owns restaurants in Cincinnati, Louisville and Belterra, Ind. — said Simpson, who was in town for the Derby on Saturday, came in with a group of about 12 Friday night and was seated at a table in the back. A customer came up to Ruby and was "giddy" about seeing Simpson, Ruby said.

"I didn't want that experience in my restaurant," Ruby said, later adding that seeing Simpson get so much attention "makes me sick to my stomach."

He said he went to Simpson's table and said, "I'm not serving you." Ruby said when Simpson didn't respond, he repeated himself and left the room.

Ruby said Simpson soon came up to him and said he understood and would gather the rest of his party to leave.

Simpson's attorney, Yale Galanter, said the incident was about race, and he intended to pursue the matter and possibly go after the restaurant's liquor license.

"He screwed with the wrong guy, he really did," Galanter said by telephone Tuesday night.

Ruby said the incident had to do with Simpson's past.

"It was the first time since 1994 he has ever shown any class," Ruby said. "He showed it that night in the restaurant" by leaving quietly.

Ruby said after Simpson left, people in the restaurant started applauding him. He said he has received about 100 positive e-mails since the incident.

The walls of Ruby's restaurants are decorated with celebrity photos. A photo of Simpson and Ruby used to be on display, but Ruby said he took it down after the killings.

82ndtrooper
05-09-2007, 09:11
Good job, Jeff Ruby.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,270879,00.html

TR

Steakhouse Owner Refuses to Serve O.J. Simpson
Wednesday, May 09, 2007

LOUISVILLE, Ky. —

The owner of an upscale steakhouse in Louisville said he asked O.J. Simpson to leave his restaurant the night before the Kentucky Derby because he is sickened by the attention Simpson still attracts.

"I didn't want to serve him because of my convictions of what he's done to those families," Jeff Ruby said in a telephone interview Tuesday. "The way he continues to torture the lives of those families ... with his behavior, attitude and conduct."

Simpson, an NFL Hall of Famer and Heisman Trophy winner, was found innocent in 1995 of killing his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and Ron Goldman but was found liable in a civil trial that followed.

Ruby — who owns restaurants in Cincinnati, Louisville and Belterra, Ind. — said Simpson, who was in town for the Derby on Saturday, came in with a group of about 12 Friday night and was seated at a table in the back. A customer came up to Ruby and was "giddy" about seeing Simpson, Ruby said.

"I didn't want that experience in my restaurant," Ruby said, later adding that seeing Simpson get so much attention "makes me sick to my stomach."

He said he went to Simpson's table and said, "I'm not serving you." Ruby said when Simpson didn't respond, he repeated himself and left the room.

Ruby said Simpson soon came up to him and said he understood and would gather the rest of his party to leave.

Simpson's attorney, Yale Galanter, said the incident was about race, and he intended to pursue the matter and possibly go after the restaurant's liquor license.

"He screwed with the wrong guy, he really did," Galanter said by telephone Tuesday night.

Ruby said the incident had to do with Simpson's past.

"It was the first time since 1994 he has ever shown any class," Ruby said. "He showed it that night in the restaurant" by leaving quietly.

Ruby said after Simpson left, people in the restaurant started applauding him. He said he has received about 100 positive e-mails since the incident.

The walls of Ruby's restaurants are decorated with celebrity photos. A photo of Simpson and Ruby used to be on display, but Ruby said he took it down after the killings.

Jeff Ruby is a regular type celebrity here in Cincinnati and the northern Kentucky area. I've known him for years. I worked as a bartender for him at the "Laboom" club that was over top of the "Waterfront" restaurant just across the bridge in Covington, Kentucky (My college days). He's one mad man if his restaurant isn't giving out 110% service and his employees are less than enthused about their position. This has been on the news since Saturday when the incident surfaced at his restaurant just across the river from Louisville, Kentucky on Derby day.

Jeff usually is pretty quick to get a camera and take photos of himself with celebrities that are eating at his restaurants. He has more celeb photos on the walls of his restaurants than he does his own kids. You'd be amazed at who you might see at "The Precinct" or "Carlos and Johnny's" two of his nicer and well known restaurants.

I remember O. J. Simpson coming into the "Laboom" club before he MURDERED his ex wife. Jeff had several pics of him and O.J Simpson at every restaurant he owned. NOW he has none !!! I've eaten at least once a month at one his restaurants and one of the waiters tipped us off that all of the O.J. pics had been down since 1994. :)

Jeff Ruby has some funny stories that have made headlines through the years, but this one is by far the best story that Jeff could have had happen to him. If your ever in Cincinnati, just ask anyone where the Jeff Ruby restaurants are and you wont be disspointed in the food and the service. It's top notch every where he sticks his nose. And his hostess's are worth the trip. ;)

Gypsy
05-09-2007, 12:26
BZ, Mr. Ruby.

Polar Bear
05-11-2007, 08:56
Jeff Ruby is a regular type celebrity here in Cincinnati and the northern Kentucky area. I've known him for years. I worked as a bartender for him at the "Laboom" club that was over top of the "Waterfront" restaurant just across the bridge in Covington, Kentucky (My college days). He's one mad man if his restaurant isn't giving out 110% service and his employees are less than enthused about their position. This has been on the news since Saturday when the incident surfaced at his restaurant just across the river from Louisville, Kentucky on Derby day.

Jeff usually is pretty quick to get a camera and take photos of himself with celebrities that are eating at his restaurants. He has more celeb photos on the walls of his restaurants than he does his own kids. You'd be amazed at who you might see at "The Precinct" or "Carlos and Johnny's" two of his nicer and well known restaurants.

I remember O. J. Simpson coming into the "Laboom" club before he MURDERED his ex wife. Jeff had several pics of him and O.J Simpson at every restaurant he owned. NOW he has none !!! I've eaten at least once a month at one his restaurants and one of the waiters tipped us off that all of the O.J. pics had been down since 1994. :)

Jeff Ruby has some funny stories that have made headlines through the years, but this one is by far the best story that Jeff could have had happen to him. If your ever in Cincinnati, just ask anyone where the Jeff Ruby restaurants are and you wont be disappointed in the food and the service. It's top notch every where he sticks his nose. And his hostess's are worth the trip. ;)

Ruby is one of a kind. Have not been to "The Precinct" in years. Use to date one of the hostess and drink there all the time. Great Steak

82ndtrooper
05-11-2007, 19:04
Ruby is one of a kind. Have not been to "The Precinct" in years. Use to date one of the hostess and drink there all the time. Great Steak

Heck, if you dated one of the Hostess's then you have to have been introduced to "Sanchez" at some point. He's now the general manager of "Carlo and Johnny's" Sanchez and I went to highschool together and have killed off a few brain cells through the years with each other. He's a great guy,

To keep on thread, Jeff Ruby has now made the Nancy Grace show and last night on "Hannity and Colmes" Jeff stated another chain of upscale restaurants has put a "No O.J." policy out to it's managers of their locations. Derby day just isn't going to be same for O.J. in the coming years. Since O.J.'s attorney said this was a "race" issue, it's funny how Jeff sat Michael Jordan and his crew down to the same exact table 5 minutes after O.J. left the restaurant.

Polar Bear
05-12-2007, 06:05
Heck, if you dated one of the Hostess's then you have to have been introduced to "Sanchez" at some point. He's now the general manager of "Carlo and Johnny's" Sanchez and I went to highschool together and have killed off a few brain cells through the years with each other. He's a great guy,

To keep on thread, Jeff Ruby has now made the Nancy Grace show and last night on "Hannity and Colmes" Jeff stated another chain of upscale restaurants has put a "No O.J." policy out to it's managers of their locations. Derby day just isn't going to be same for O.J. in the coming years. Since O.J.'s attorney said this was a "race" issue, it's funny how Jeff sat Michael Jordan and his crew down to the same exact table 5 minutes after O.J. left the restaurant.

LOL Sanchez is a great guy between him and Pete I drank free most of the time. I will shoot you a PM later this week

82ndtrooper
05-12-2007, 06:21
LOL Sanchez is a great guy between him and Pete I drank free most of the time. I will shoot you a PM later this week

Sanchez (Dave) is one hell of a good guy to hit the town with. Although it's like trying to swallow an elephant to keep up with him. IIRC he also married one of the hostess's to which they are now divorced. Imagine that.

Looking forward to it. You must live here in Northern Kentucky or Cincinnati ?

On a kinda humorus note we drank with Karmen Electra and Dave at "Tropicana" about a year ago on a Wednesday night at the Levy. Another of Jeff Ruby's places. We also witnessed Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson in a marital dispute the night before the Derby about 3 years ago. Kinda funny who you'll see at Jeff's places here in the area.