PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a Journal?

Tegboarder
05-04-2007, 23:50
I tend to write a lot and was curious if any of the QPs or Selectees kept a journal while going through selection. This may be a moot point since you are only allowed 1 notebook (according to the packing list) but I wasn't sure if a journal counted (splitting hairs but you never know unless you ask). If worse comes to worse there's always the margins in a novel :)

NousDefionsDoc
05-05-2007, 06:44
That's two

Tegboarder
05-05-2007, 09:31
Roger that, thank you for the clarification.

The Reaper
05-05-2007, 10:01
Not going for the Gray Man technique, eh?

Looks like you are working on an impressive post count before considering quality.

TR

112thSOLCA
05-05-2007, 10:16
I just have to say this….

Two months ago I was in Fayetteville/Ft. Bragg to watch my son graduate SFQC. That special day occurred just two months after his 20th birthday.

In the days following graduation we spent some quality father and son time together. One thing I noticed was a recurring theme that my son had a general disdain for other young men his age.

When I inquired about this new found attitude his explanation was “They make my life hard”. I pressed for more information and he said “I can’t even start to meet the standard until I first prove I am not one of them’

At the time I thought my son was riding the crest of his own little ego wave. (Which I figured was somewhat to be expected based on his accomplishment.)

However, the more I read introductions and posts by “other” 20 year olds, many with college and entry level military training (ROTC)…. I completely understand my son’s attitude and statements.

CPTAUSRET
05-05-2007, 10:30

Two months ago I was in Fayetteville/Ft. Bragg to watch my son graduate SFQC. That special day occurred just two months after his 20th birthday.

In the days following graduation we spent some quality father and son time together. One thing I noticed was a recurring theme that my son had a general disdain for other young men his age.

When I inquired about this new found attitude his explanation was “They make my life hard”. I pressed for more information and he said “I can’t even start to meet the standard until I first prove I am not one of them’

At the time I thought my son was riding the crest of his own little ego wave. (Which I figured was somewhat to be expected based on his accomplishment.)

However, the more I read introductions and posts by “other” 20 year olds, many with college and entry level military training (ROTC)…. I completely understand my son’s attitude and statements.

Well said!

Snaquebite
05-05-2007, 11:33

Excellent statement of understanding. I know you're proud of your son.

Peregrino
05-05-2007, 11:54

Obviously congratulations are in order. He's defined the problem, that's half the battle. A little bit of time w/a deployment or two and he'll have the creds too. After that nobody will ever again mistake him for a member of the previous "peer group". Peregrino

kgoerz
05-05-2007, 16:02
“I can’t even start to meet the standard until I first prove I am not one of them’

I am SOOOOO Stealing that Quote. Did he come up with that or was it written somewhere?

Probably what the few squared away Instructors we have here say to themselves. When referring to the not so squared away instructors we have here. NDD!!! we have a quote for the sign, to hang under the Hangar

NOPE EVEN BETTER A NEW PATCH, I GOT IT, our Sig Line
We cant bring ourselves to admit any possible affiliation. Until we first prove to all, we are not one of them (referring to the only ones that could, did)

NousDefionsDoc
05-05-2007, 16:10
I like it. How about we combine them.

"I can’t even start to meet the standard until I first prove I am not one of them - because the only ones that can, will."

blue02hd
05-05-2007, 17:10
Teg,

What is more important to you right now? Surviving selection, or writing your journal? Considering your lack of SA in here, I wouldn't worry about only having one notebook, as your journal may go something like this:

Day 1 Inprocessed,,,,

Day 2 Out processed,,,,

Now you may have more flair with a pen than I, but I have confidence going for me that all the flair in the world won't save your bacon. In between your PT sessions, try researching the drop out rates of the soldiers attending SFAS. You may find you won't have time for a journal, unless it is titled "How I Wasted 3 Weeks in NC". Your fantasy and reality may collide head on if you are not prepared.

Teg, do yourself a favor, and research what you are about to get into, AND practice radio silence!! You can't receive info if you are constantly transmitting. I do wish you luck, and hope other ambitious future QP's luck as well. But you gotta remember,,,,,,,, Learning here from BTDT's = Good idea. Learning from Sgt Remorsless in SFAS = Bad idea.

NousDefionsDoc
05-05-2007, 18:54
Day 1 Inprocessed,,,,

Day 2 Out processed,,,,
And there you have it.

Daver
05-05-2007, 20:12
Once again it's enjoyable reading how guys want to worry about something other than the mission. The mission in this case should be not quitting in selection. Having first hand knowledge of what the VW's do after they quit....I use to run SFAS, I would say there is plenty of time to write in a journal after you have quit! But really the point is...we don't care what you do in selection. You will be assessed and if you are deemed worthy..and didn't quit, you may be selected...journal or not!

"Do the best you can"

kgoerz
05-05-2007, 20:25
I like it. How about we combine them.

"I can’t even start to meet the standard until I first prove I am not one of them - because the only ones that can, will."

With a picture of a guy pulling a lawn mower with a Gotor.

LongWire
05-05-2007, 20:56
Reminds me of the guy who slept in the next bunk in Basic. He kept ajournal, or should I say Starlog. He was a Trekie, who loved that Horrid Next Generation (PC Bullshit) Star Trek series. Kept a journal, with the stardateor whatever and referenced our activities in the 3rd person, with a Star Trek flair.

Of course I know this because some more nosy Pvts than myself found it on his bunk one day and of Course read it to the whole platoon!!!!

I don't see a problem with a journal, I read a couple of books while I was there. Of course I had a very squared away team during team week.

If your writing a book, or planning on blogging it, then I'd rethink that, and go improve on your ruck times!!!!

Jack Moroney (RIP)
05-06-2007, 05:49
I can’t even start to meet the standard until I first prove I am not one of them’

That is a very interesting observation and one that has haunted me before every assignment I have ever taken. I have found that there has been a general distrust of officers by troops throughout my career that your first hurdle has been to gain the trust of the troops because of the abuses of position and power by predecessors. This probably should be a SOF leadership imperative in every officer entry program. Just my opinion based on limited experience.

NousDefionsDoc
05-06-2007, 10:50
"Before you can begin to prove you belong among Them, you first have to prove you are not merely one of them."

I'm really liking this. 112thSOLCA, your young man has talent.

NousDefionsDoc
05-06-2007, 10:51
That is a very interesting observation and one that has haunted me before every assignment I have ever taken. I have found that there has been a general distrust of officers by troops throughout my career that your first hurdle has been to gain the trust of the troops because of the abuses of position and power by predecessors. This probably should be a SOF leadership imperative in every officer entry program. Just my opinion based on limited experience.
Great application. Very fitting Sir.

kgoerz
05-06-2007, 14:03

This applies in a lot of situations. I find myself doing this when in a position where I can be stereotyped, without realizing it. Proving I'm not one of the arrogant Americans. Instructors who preceded me in my present job were typical arrogant, whining Americans. Took us some time to fix this. Working with regular Army is another hard one. Giving assistance without coming across as knowing it all. Gaining the trust of students in SWC.

Mike792
05-06-2007, 16:17
Keith Hi good comment. We have the same problem in the box, I am in Madrid right now, I will be home tomorrow. Are you in town? I am using the same cell number. Later

kgoerz
05-06-2007, 18:52
Keith Hi good comment. We have the same problem in the box, I am in Madrid right now, I will be home tomorrow. Are you in town? I am using the same cell number. Later

Mike
Glad you made it back.
Yep here again, ill call you next weekend when I'm set loose in the city.