PDA

View Full Version : "Hero" dog to receive Purple Heart

Huey14
05-04-2007, 15:16

Hero-dog George has touched plenty of hearts - now he's being honoured with a Purple Heart.

American war veteran Jerrell Hudman was so moved by the Jack Russell's story of sacrifice that he is sending George his Purple Heart medal.

Last weekend George gave his life in saving a group of Manaia children facing attack from vicious pitbulls. The plucky pooch put himself between the dogs and the children and, in the end, it was George the pitbulls savaged.

His injuries were so bad George was later put down by a vet.

Mr Hudman contacted the Taranaki Daily News yesterday requesting owner Alan Gay's address.

On the phone from Austin, Texas,yesterday Mr Hudman (58), a US Marine for 30 years, described George as a little warrior.

"Yes ma'am, he was a brave little doggy," Mr Hudman said.

He says his wife Alice came across George's story when she was reading news on the Internet.

George's picture now graces the wall in the Hudmans' computer room, next to a photo of one of their sons - they have two and both have been Marines - taken during his tour of duty in Iraq.

Mr Hudman says the dog-loving couple immediately decided George's memory deserved the medal, awarded to him in Vietnam in 1967 for being wounded in combat.

"I was with the Ninth Marines and we were up by Kontum and a mortar round came in and and landed in a hole where myself and some other Marines were. I was one of the lucky ones who survived."

The Purple Heart is one of three he received in Vietnam and it will arrive in Manaia by post within the next few weeks.

Mrs Hudman (59) describes George as a "hero of all heroes".

"When I read that story I just started crying and when I found out that poor George didn't make it that made me feel just so bad. But, of course, that's what he wanted to do for that child and those children. I just wish he could have made it," Mrs Hudman said.

Mr Gay described the Hudmans'gesture as amazing and was still being overwhelmed by messages.

He was woken at 3.30am yesterday morning by a reporter from a Washington DC paper seeking some comment.

"He said they'd run the story and had been inundated with feedback," Mr Gay said.

While he's feeling better each day about the loss of his beloved pet, nothing would bring George back.

"He's not there when I get up in the night and make my cup of tea, and not in his little bed."

Mr Gay has had many offers of replacement pets but, as yet, he's turned them down.

"Maybe one day when things quiet down I'll get another dog, but not yet."

The Taranaki Daily News has received e-mails from around the world from people wanting to pass on their condolences to Mr Gay.

American media heavyweight USA Today has started a blog about George, which is getting hundreds of comments.

The pitbulls that attacked George were destroyed on Thursday.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/images/294036.jpg

82ndtrooper
05-04-2007, 15:25
Jack Russels are fine pooches.

RIP POOCHE.

The Reaper
05-04-2007, 15:50
I saw the original story about the dog on Fox yesterday.

Good dog, selfless act.

Maybe we should neuter the owners of the pit bulls? Not sure what the law is on this in New Zealand.

TR

Scimitar
05-04-2007, 18:30
Been a lot of controversy over the past 10 years or so on the "attach breed" dog laws being toughened.

They have beefed up the penalties an owner receives if their dog injuries a child, but there still pretty low. My understanding is the "Attack breed" owners have quite a strong lobby.

If memory serves me right there’s been a recent law change with muzzles or something.

Either way, owners really aren’t held particularly accountable.