PDA

View Full Version : Training weapon before Basic?

mgcohen
05-02-2007, 18:34
I have been going to ranges recently in attempt at becoming slightly more accustomed to shooting. I have not fired many weapons and was hoping to get a feel for the AR-15 (the most similar to the M-16 I will be firing) before going to Basic in July. Unfortunately, everywhere I go seems to be out of ammo. Any recommendations on where to secure ammunition, or recommendations on a different weapon to start off on?

-Cohen
*18X recruit

lksteve
05-02-2007, 18:40
Any recommendations on where to secure ammunition, or recommendations on a different weapon to start off on?i used to train BMT when i was at Benning...i'm not sure i would want to have to retrain someone who had no skills prior to basic...if you feel the need, find a qualified instructor at a local range...trust me, we spent plenty of time with folks who were not comfortable or used to firing weapons...they dry fired for hours upon end...:munchin

The Reaper
05-02-2007, 18:43
Get a .22LR. Learn to shoot and the fundamentals of marksmanship before worrying about mechanics.

I doubt that Basic will teach you anything too complex.

TR

kgoerz
05-02-2007, 20:03
Before I came in the Army I fired an original Confederate Rifle from the Civil War a couple of times. Other then that and pellet Guns. The M16 in basic was the first modern Rifle I ever fired. Shooting is easy, what you shoot at can become difficult.
Don't worry about it. Join a Gym and concentrate on getting in the best possible physical condition. Good physical condition will go a lot further in helping you shoot. A lot further then shooting an AR a few times. Never heard of someone getting kicked out for shooting bad. It will be years before you are in a position where poor shooting will get you kicked out of a school. It will be the first week where bad physical shape could get you kicked out.

mgcohen
05-03-2007, 00:10
Thank you all for your input.

-Cohen

Team Sergeant
05-03-2007, 07:04
I have been going to ranges recently in attempt at becoming slightly more accustomed to shooting.
-Cohen
*18X recruit

You get ready for SFAS and the Q-Course. Should you succeed the men on the teams will hone your rifle, pistol, submachine, sniper, etc etc etc skills to a lethal edge.;)

Team Sergeant

Scimitar
05-03-2007, 07:52
Good Question Cohen,

I was thinking the same thing myself.

Having only popped off the odd .22 or Shotgun, I was wondering on the virtue of getting some time on range with a M16A2 or equivalent prior to OSUT.

A local cop offered to show me the ropes. But something I always taught as a fencing coach is "PERFECT practice makes perfect".

I'd hate to learn bad habits now, best to be taught by those in the know, and from what I've read here there's a lot more to 'combat' shooting then just point and squeeze. A hell of a lot more.

From what I’ve read of the practice drills you go thru, dry firing and all, it’s all ‘muscle memory-ing’.

God, I remember all the drilling I’ve done with an Epee, it is more mental than anything, 60 min of “Parry 4 - Riposte” against a wall is enough to send a man into a mental melt down. Focus…FOCUS.

Still think it might be a blast to go down to the range with this Cop and waste a dozen clips or so. But I'm thinking of holding off on anything too serious to.

So am I right to assume that building your shooting is a bit like building your basketball shoot. Tie down all your Technique, Muscle memory it, practice practice practice, keep checking your technique, refine refine?

over

incommin
05-03-2007, 08:52
Perfect practice makes perfect.....you will not get that going to a range and just busting caps.....

Basic weapons skills are all that is needed for initial entry and they will be taught by drill sergeants who have a stake in seeing soldiers qualify..... physical fitness is a larger and more important issue that can be worked on prior to enlistment.

Jim

Peregrino
05-03-2007, 08:53
Alright Guys - STOP! If you want to go to the range, do it because it's fun/theraputic, not because you expect to "get ahead of the training curve". At this point you will derive greater benefit from a quality physical conditioning program than you will from ANY quantity/quality of time spent "plinking" on a range. Do not protest my choice of "plinking" to describe your proposed activities. That is my professional opinion. If you succeed to the point that you are in SF, people who know what they're doing - probably with recent combat experience, will dedicate themselves to providing you with the skills needed to fight and survive. They would rather not have to correct bad habits. Trust me - you will be programming bad habits and it's a lot harder to "overwrite" bad habits than it is to learn the skills correctly in the first place. For those of you who want to know more (than I'm willing to type right now) check out the June issue of S.W.A.T. Magazine. It has a good article by Pat Rogers - "Self-Training Myths, Deadly Drawbacks" that is worth the time to read. (There really are a couple of "gun gurus" with opinions worth paying attention to. :p ) My .02 - Peregrino

The Reaper
05-03-2007, 09:47
Still think it might be a blast to go down to the range with this Cop and waste a dozen clips or so.

Clips of what?

TR

Team Sergeant
05-03-2007, 09:47
Stop is right.

Scimitar, 99.9% of all, federal state and local LEO's receive "defensive" firearms training.

Special Forces teaches "offensive" weapons employment.

while it was a good question to start with it's been answered, do we need to repeat ourselves?

This thread is over.

Team Sergeant