PDA

View Full Version : KA-BAR Mule Tanto

82ndtrooper
04-30-2007, 18:42
While browsing the Ranger Joes website I noticed a rather inexpensive folder made by KA-BAR called the "Mule Tanto" in foliage green, black and desert tan. I've been carrying a Kershaw Ken Onion Storm II for about a year and it has served me well for simple chores such as opening UPS boxes, cutting vegetables, tape, and normal household chores.

For $43.95 I decided to purchase the KA-BAR Mule Tanto to see what type of quality is inherent for such a price. I'm not going down range, so I really only need a knife that can cut some rope, some 550 cord, and possibly a seat belt if my child or myself were to be trapped in an automobile collision.

The knife arrived today and upon opening the package and pulling the knife out of the box I was amazed by the heavy feeling of the knife and the sturdiness of the handle. It also comes with a cordura nylon foliage green sheath that is nothing special, but does the job of holding the knife on your belt.

Cutting: Ok, I realize I'm just a civi here and I only need my folders for the basics. I started with a paper bag and with just a little pressure the tanto blade was like slicing butter. I merely ran the blade down the paper bag and it was effortless to slice. Next I tried plastic and the same results as the paper. It punctured the plastic bag and sliced it as easy as the paper. Next I attempted to cut cardboard, the Ranger Joes box and the result was the same as simple paper and plastic garbage bags. After that I used it to slice carrots, tomatoes, and a potato. All veggies sliced like butter.

Since it was such an inexpensive knife I expected that with cutting paper, cardboard, plastic and veggies it was probably already due for a good sharpening................not the case, it is cutting cardboard just as easy. I'll have to give it some real hard duty use.

AUS 8A stainless steel. Apparently more Carbon than Chromium and has a decent reputation for maintaining an edge if heat treated properly. It seems to be a pretty darn good knife if your budget is $50.00

Besides, SGM Larson told me that he would not hesitate to take this knife into theater.

You can find the knife here:

http://www.rangerjoes.com/bar-knife-mule-folding-tanto-p-3799.html?manufacturers_id=43

Bill Harsey
05-03-2007, 17:03
Good find and good post.

One small detail, if this blade had more carbon than the chromium in it, it couldn't be made into steel.

KA-BAR does very good, direct type knives. It is always the right thing to find these values for folks that need a hard working knife.

Thanks.

82ndtrooper
05-04-2007, 16:25
Update as to the edge on this knife.

Today: Hard plastic. Used a Gatorade bottle (32fl.oz) I puntured the bottle holding it firmly. used a slight cutting motion and this bottle is in two pieces with ease.

Yesterday: Aluminum: Punctured a Coke can and used the same cutting motion and sliced the can in two pieces.

Both of these tests were done easily with this knife. I did not have to wrestle the blade through the materials.

Edge retainment today: slices paper just as it did one I first opened the package and tested the sharpness on regular type letter head paper.

It's still got it's edge.

Further tests to be done.