PDA

View Full Version : First Aid Kit Question

Roguish Lawyer
04-25-2007, 21:05
I just purchased new first aid kits for our cars and home. One of the old ones I have is REALLY old -- it has a sticker on it saying it complies with a federal act passed in 1970. Photos of the kit and contents (still packed) are attached, plus a photo of a random packet inside in case that helps.

Here's the question: is any of the stuff inside the old kit worth keeping? I would think the bandages might be OK but the creams and things like that should be tossed. I am fine with tossing the whole thing, but I don't like to waste usable stuff.

Thanks for any insight. If you need additional information, let me know.

jbour13
04-25-2007, 21:20
I'm sorry RL, I can offer no real insight to your needs.

I did note an odd product in Pic#2 labeled "Dome Paste".

It says it's medicated, now what kind of ailments does it help with??? :munchin

You have any snake oil in that kit as well? :D

I know, I know......I just made the list....again!!!

adal
04-25-2007, 22:28
Howdy,
In short replace it. Yes some of the bandages may still be good but I have pulled out triangle bandages new out of their package and they are still dry rotten. The minute you put them on to a wound and tighten they'll pull apart.
Out of the countless first aid kits I've repacked, the only thing I keep is the box. When I do replace the contents usually I replace items so they are like they once were (keeping a photo is just a good.) But other than that the stuff just can't be trusted. (Good luck replacing that dome paste. :rolleyes: )
adal

Most paper packed bandages have an expiration date of 5 to 7 years, as long as they stay dry, aren'
t torn etc.

The Reaper
04-25-2007, 22:42
I have had the opposite experience and been issued 20 year and older bandages. Recently, someone put up a pic of a WW II era bandage they had been issued. I know some of the blankets are that old.

If the paper is intact, I would keep the bandages for back-up or training use.

If it was supposed to be adhesive, it may not anymore, try a few and see if they still work.

I would toss all of the meds.

Glad to see that you are getting prepared, counsel.:D

If you want to extend the shelf life of the kit, keep it in a cool place in the house. I know that the car kits will age quickly.

Good luck.

TR

NousDefionsDoc
04-25-2007, 22:56
Get rid of it all. And don't ever do that again.

Dome-Paste:
https://online.epocrates.com/front_porch/

Roguish Lawyer
04-26-2007, 00:15
Thanks

Doczilla
04-26-2007, 09:06
Expect that over time, the sterility of the contents is compromised. Age is not kind to these sorts of things. Chunk anything that appears to have water damage. Throw out any of the medications, creams, salves, and the alginate dressing, as well as any adhesive-backed dressings or elastic bandages. This essentially leaves you with the cravats and gauze. The gauze isn't sterile, but may form part of a bulky dressing if needed (then again, it's so cheap, it pays just to replace it). I agree with Reaper on using the stuff for training. Overall, it would be pretty inexpensive to replace the contents with newer and more appropriate stuff.

'zilla