PDA

View Full Version : Life before SF.

Intel_Airman
04-20-2007, 09:45
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I searched and didn't find anything. Plus my question is geared more towards the second part. I'm just curious to what some of you guys did before SF. First, what MOS' (besides combat arms) were you in? Second, for those of you that were dying for change from support to combat arms; what did the new atmosphere feel like? I know that sounds kind of lame, but what I mean is did you sort of feel re-invented?

I'm asking because right now I have two females power tripping on myself and another male SSgt here in my section. One is a Capt and the other a civilian. I've had to listen to discussions about soap operas and everything else feminine the last few days and have had it up to :mad: here. The work atmosphere here is all "me, me, me". Both doing everything they can for their performance reports and awards. I might as well be working at Microsoft. 247 more days until terminal leave. It can't come soon enough.

SOCOM8721
04-20-2007, 09:57
Your in the Air Force?

Intel_Airman
04-20-2007, 10:12
That is correct. I'll be in the Army next March.

Team Sergeant
04-20-2007, 10:16
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I searched and didn't find anything. Plus my question is geared more towards the second part. I'm just curious to what some of you guys did before SF. First, what MOS' (besides combat arms) were you in? Second, for those of you that were dying for change from support to combat arms; what did the new atmosphere feel like? I know that sounds kind of lame, but what I mean is did you sort of feel re-invented?

I'm asking because right now I have two females power tripping on myself and another male SSgt here in my section. One is a Capt and the other a civilian. I've had to listen to discussions about soap operas and everything else feminine the last few days and have had it up to :mad: here. The work atmosphere here is all "me, me, me". Both doing everything they can for their performance reports and awards. I might as well be working at Microsoft. 247 more days until terminal leave. It can't come soon enough.

I don't think you're going to find Special Forces soldiers were "re-invented".

Where ever they come from all the Special Forces soldiers already possess the heart of a warrior. Special Forces just brings the warrior in us to the surface and polishes the mindset to a lethal edge.

Team Sergeant

Intel_Airman
04-20-2007, 10:19
Yeah, re-invented was a poor choice of words on my part. Maybe reborn?

one-zero
04-20-2007, 10:24
Looks like you're venting because of your current situation - get over it and concentrate on what it takes to get the job done next March.

We all gripe about something - the difference is mindset; What are you doing about it? Hopefully something more than waiting for terminal leave...

Though it doesn't translate into reality sometimes, my take is like the USMC; every man a rifle man regardless of MOS...BE combat arms - its your MINDSET...so your doing intel work for the air farts, have you sucked everything of learning value out of that job?? cause if you make it to a team someday we expect you to bring something to the table from previous life regardless of how small - but the more you bring, the better the TEAM is for it.

my dos centavos,
1-0

Intel_Airman
04-20-2007, 10:46
Looks like you're venting because of your current situation - get over it and concentrate on what it takes to get the job done next March.

We all gripe about something - the difference is mindset; What are you doing about it? Hopefully something more than waiting for terminal leave...

my dos centavos,
1-0

I'm venting some, but this countdown is my prep time too; I'm not wasting it. I just figured for every person dealing with a situation someone has alreay been there and done that. I was just asking around if someone here on the boards have been in the same shoes as i'm in and what the transition was like for them.

The Reaper
04-20-2007, 11:04
I'm venting some, but this countdown is my prep time too; I'm not wasting it. I just figured for every person dealing with a situation someone has alreay been there and done that. I was just asking around if someone here on the boards have been in the same shoes as i'm in and what the transition was like for them.

Being a hater won't carry you very far in SF.

You have to have a better reason for being there.

If you are having problems working with fellow airpeople who speak the same language, wear the same uniform and are all subject to the UCMJ, how are you going to deal with dirty, smelly foreigners who speak another language, eat strange things, and have a completely different set of morals?

Just something to think about.

TR

Guy
04-21-2007, 14:01
how are you going to deal with dirty, smelly foreigners who speak another language, eat strange things, and have a completely different set of morals?

TRHe could always come out to California for some indoctrination training.:lifter

Stay safe.

shadowwalker
04-21-2007, 14:59
Originally Posted by Intel_Airman

I'm asking because right now I have two females power tripping on myself and another male SSgt here in my section. One is a Capt and the other a civilian. I've had to listen to discussions about soap operas and everything else feminine the last few days and have had it up to here. The work atmosphere here is all "me, me, me". Both doing everything they can for their performance reports and awards. I might as well be working at Microsoft. 247 more days until terminal leave. It can't come soon enough.

All females are not like the ones you described above. I got into more trouble (specifically EO, my male supervisors privately agreed with me, publicly they had to chastise me or at least appear to) for a saying I had while I was in the Military, which was, "I don't need females in my Army I just need soldiers". That goes for males also, I just rarely had to deal with females until the end of my career. I may be out of line if so I apologize, but quite crying and be the best soldier you can now and in the future. By the way I am, a retired female NCO, the males that wanted a good leader, that took care of her troops had no problems working for me or, with me, or me working for them. The ones that did have problems were insecure.

Q
04-21-2007, 16:42
Yeah, stop and think about you and your job. I have a nephew that is an Intel-analyst for the Air Force. He loves his job. He is contributing and he is good at what he does. Of course he wants to be more than he is right now.....I think he would rather be Spiderman. But realistically, just as most folks realize, he has his limitations. In the Army.. Spiderman equates to... Special Forces. Ok, OK this is from my view point. All of us want to be more than we are. SO BE THE BEST DAMN INTEL GUY the Air Force has. If that doesn't trip your trigger then come looking for guys like us. The Air Force has them as well as all the other services. None are better than we are.... of course. But all are warriors.
Ask our brothers in Iraq and Afghanistan. "Q".

Q
04-21-2007, 16:48
What are you doing now? And why are you on this Snake-Eater website? "Q".

shadowwalker
04-21-2007, 18:30
What are you doing now? And why are you on this Snake-Eater website? "Q".

Sir, I have been retired for the last two years, I am presently attending college on the GI Bill, and crewing on a boat as a dive master on the weekends. I am on the website because a friend thought I would be very interested especially in the 'be prepared' section of this website.

LongWire
04-22-2007, 18:57
Being a hater won't carry you very far in SF.

You have to have a better reason for being there.

If you are having problems working with fellow airpeople who speak the same language, wear the same uniform and are all subject to the UCMJ, how are you going to deal with dirty, smelly foreigners who speak another language, eat strange things, and have a completely different set of morals?

TR

TR Said it ALL!!!!!!!!!!

Intel_Airman
04-23-2007, 11:48
He could always come out to California for some indoctrination training.:lifter

Stay safe.

That's an idea to keep in mind! I'm not too far away. The ones in San Fran smell pretty bad if you ask me. I'm working a couple angles out here though as of last night on getting some indoc training from a retired SEAL and a SGM as I get closer.

Prester John
04-23-2007, 16:23
getting some indoc training from a retired SEAL

The next Rogue Warrior book: "Blue to Green Beret" by Dick Marcinko

Intel_Airman
04-23-2007, 17:17
I know that reads funny, but there are quite a few operators out here with him now (Army side). Hopefully I can do some PT with them.