PDA

View Full Version : The Church

The Reaper
04-19-2007, 13:50
Think about this.

Einstein, as you may have heard, was a pretty smart guy.

"Being a lover of freedom, when the revolution came in Germany, I looked to the universities to defend it, knowing that they had always boasted of their devotion to the cause of truth; but, no, the universities immediately were silenced. Then I looked to the great editors of the newspapers whose flaming editorials in days gone by had proclaimed their love of freedom; but they, like the universities, were silenced in a few short weeks... Only the Church stood squarely across the path of Hitler's campaign for suppressing truth. I never had any special interest in the Church before, but now I feel a great affection and admiration because the Church alone has had the courage and persistence to stand for intellectual truth and moral freedom. I am forced thus to confess that what I once despised I now praise unreservedly."
--Albert Einstein, Scientist,
23 DEC 1940, Time Magazine, p 38.

TR

Jack Moroney (RIP)
04-19-2007, 14:01
Yep, that was true, except of course if you were a jew or a flawed member of society and then the Church stood pathetically quiet as an institution although there were some very significant efforts by specific clergy.

I see Einstein's wisdom in this and in general agree, however I have no use for most churches as they tend to pander to the fear of the flock to control their desired outcome. Consequently I have little use for many in the clergy who tend to think I cannot read passages from a text compiled from authors in favor that the institution selected to support their view of the world at the time it was written. For some reason many seem to think that they have the only connection with the Big Fella, however there seems to be many in the pulpit with more than a little crinkle in their vestments. Now, I do have all sorts of time for God but I do not need help finding him, myself, or separating right from wrong. I know, I am going to Hell:D

The Reaper
04-19-2007, 14:09
Yep, that was true, except of course if you were a jew or a flawed member of society and then the Church stood pathetically quiet as an institution although there were some very significant efforts by specific clergy.

I see Einstein's wisdom in this and in general agree, however I have no use for most churches as they tend to pander to the fear of the flock to control their desired outcome. Consequently I have little use for many in the clergy who tend to think I cannot read passages from a text compiled from authors in favor that the institution selected to support their view of the world at the time it was written. For some reason many seem to think that they have the only connection with the Big Fella, however there seems to be many in the pulpit with more than a little crinkle in their vestments. Now, I do have all sorts of time for God but I do not need help finding him, myself, or separating right from wrong. I know, I am going to Hell:D

Boss, I think you see God somewhere in your little slice of heaven there everyday.

The point here was that the media, for all of its bellicose ranting, and the universities, where the staff and students seem to know the solutions to everything folded quickly, and the church, as old and stiff as it was, stood fast for longer. Of course, as we know after 1940, they eventually failed as well, but by then the fight was on.

TR

Jack Moroney (RIP)
04-19-2007, 14:17
The point here was that the media, for all of its bellicose ranting, and the universities, where the staff and students seem to know the solutions to everything folded quickly, and the church, as old and stiff as it was, stood fast for longer. Of course, as we know after 1940, they eventually failed as well, but by then the fight was on.

TR

True. And I have to agree that it was the Catholic Church in Poland that really held that place together throughout history.

The Reaper
04-19-2007, 14:27
I think that the Orthodox Chrurch in the Soviet Union and their survival would make a great story someday.

Gotta be better than the Jesuits and their "Liberation Theology" in Latin America, but they have a history of violence anyway.

TR

incommin
04-19-2007, 14:54
"I do have all sorts of time for God but I do not need help finding him, myself, or separating right from wrong. I know, I am going to Hell"

COL Jack, should you find yourself there one day, you will have plenty of good company. I expect that wherever you wind up, most of us will be there too.

Jim

Peregrino
04-19-2007, 15:00
COL M, TR - I'm on the next pew over. Ed LeBlanc's memorial service at the JFK Chapel yesterday was a poignant reminder of what "churches" should represent. Would that more of them did. Of course the community it services is unique too, united by the concept of community and shared belief in something greater than self - without regard to religion or dogma. A lot of good has happened under that roof some joyous, some painful, but all in the intent of "church".

I don't see today's religious institutions resisting the creeping destruction of freedom. Historical note: The Catholic clergy in Poland paid a steep price following the Nazi invasion. IIRC they had a higher percentage of deaths than any group other than the Polish officer corps (who never had a chance between Hitler and Stalin).

Peregrino

echoes
04-19-2007, 15:05
"I do have all sorts of time for God but I do not need help finding him, myself, or separating right from wrong. I know, I am going to Hell"

COL Jack, should you find yourself there one day, you will have plenty of good company. I expect that wherever you wind up, most of us will be there too.

Jim

Sir's,

Think it will be here. ;)

HOlly

Warrior-Mentor
04-19-2007, 15:05
Think about this.

Einstein, as you may have heard, was a pretty smart guy.

"Being a lover of freedom, when the revolution came in Germany, I looked to the universities to defend it, knowing that they had always boasted of their devotion to the cause of truth; but, no, the universities immediately were silenced. Then I looked to the great editors of the newspapers whose flaming editorials in days gone by had proclaimed their love of freedom; but they, like the universities, were silenced in a few short weeks... Only the Church stood squarely across the path of Hitler's campaign for suppressing truth. I never had any special interest in the Church before, but now I feel a great affection and admiration because the Church alone has had the courage and persistence
to stand for intellectual truth and moral freedom. I am forced thus to confess that what I once despised I now praise unreservedly."
--Albert Einstein, Scientist,
23 DEC 1940, Time Magazine, p 38.

TR

Interestingly, Einstein also DID NOT believe in the Free Will of man.

He did believe that i he wanted to live in a civilized society, he had to act AS IF Free Will existed.

Why aren't we using this or a variation on this as a Psyop Campaign in Iraq/Afg?

En Shallah?

x-factor
04-19-2007, 16:42
TR...I'd never seen that Einstein quote before. Cool. And the Jesuits? I had a medieval history professor who described them as the Vatican's intelligence service.

COL JM...I sympathize with your take on the current state of things. I consider myself a devoted Christian, but I haven't been to regular services since high school for pretty much the same reason. There's a quote (from some monk I think) I take a little solace in that you might like: "I don't always know how to please you, Lord. But I think the fact that I want to please you, pleases you."

Hipshot
04-19-2007, 17:39
I know, I am going to Hell:D
If you are, I hope I'm in your AO.

sg1987
04-20-2007, 08:31
For some reason many seem to think that they have the only connection with the Big Fella, however there seems to be many in the pulpit with more than a little crinkle in their vestments. Now, I do have all sorts of time for God but I do not need help finding him, myself, or separating right from wrong. I know, I am going to Hell:D

Sir,
If you go, (I doubt it) the Bible I read leaves me with the impression that they will be ahead of you in the advanced party.:D

SOGvet
04-26-2007, 09:31
Think about this.

Einstein, as you may have heard, was a pretty smart guy.TR

That's why I luv you, man.. :D