PDA

View Full Version : Question about contacting a recruiter

Curt Geezus
04-17-2007, 15:12
If I am interested in joining the 20th Special Forces Group and would be drilling in Alabama, and I live in South Carolina, can I contact my local recruiter or would I have to talk to someone in Alabama?

Also, if I don't get selected would I be able to drill with a South Carolina unit? Or would I still have to go to Alabama?

Surgicalcric
04-17-2007, 15:23
PM inbound Curt.

For informational purposes, those interested in one of the NGSF units should contact the recruiter for said unit. Contacting a local recruiter, unless he also happens to be an SF recruiter, is a waste of time for both parties involved in most cases. Unless the recruiter is used to dealing with SF recruits they wont have any useful info for you, or will lead you down the wrong path.

The contact info for the both NGSF Groups can be found on the 19th and/or 20th Group's page. Someone at the unit level will forward you to the recruiter you should be talking to.

HTH,

Crip

Warrior-Mentor
04-18-2007, 08:15
Good poop Crip.

One other question:

"How long does it take an 18D to learn how to say 'I surrender' in French?"

Can't you just wave a white flag and test out? :D

DDD
04-18-2007, 08:46
Good poop Crip.

One other question:

"How long does it take an 18D to learn how to say 'I surrender' in French?"

Can't you just wave a white flag and test out? :D

When I went to DLI we couldn't get our home room instructor to teach us how to say "Don't shoot, I know secrets". Evil taskmaster made us study until we could figure it out ourselves:p .

Surgicalcric
04-18-2007, 09:13
..."How long does it take an 18D to learn how to say 'I surrender' in French?"

Sir:

I do not think its possible, atleast not for this 18D, to learn those words and put them to use. "Til the end!"

As for testing out of phrench, I might as well give it a shot. We were told we would be taking the DLPT 5 weeks into the 8 week "blitz." Cat 1/2 languages have gone from 16 weeks to a mere 9 with 10% being first time go's at the DLPT in the last class...

Crip

Warrior-Mentor
04-18-2007, 09:21
Sir:

I do not think its possible, atleast not for this 18D, to learn those words and put them to use. "Til the end!"

As for testing out of phrench, I might as well give it a shot. We were told we would be taking the DLPT 5 weeks into the 8 week "blitz." Cat 1/2 languages have gone from 16 weeks to a mere 9 with 10% being first time go's at the DLPT in the last class...

Crip

Good answer.

I can't believe how short the language training is becoming.

The Reaper
04-18-2007, 09:39
Good answer.

I can't believe how short the language training is becoming.

And less effective, to an apparent degree.

10% GOs is not good.

TR

Warrior-Mentor
04-18-2007, 09:59
And less effective, to an apparent degree.

10% GOs is not good.

TR

Exactly. 10% GOs is statistical good (lucky) guessing... are we just checking the block here?

The Reaper
04-18-2007, 10:06
Yes, but it is faster, saves money, and graduates more students.

Therefore, it must be better.

TR

SOCOM8721
04-18-2007, 10:15
When my son went through last year they changed over to the new testing on his class...

1 GO

The rest NO GO...

What are they teaching? Rosetta Stone!

Surgicalcric
04-18-2007, 10:23
Exactly. 10% GOs is statistical good (lucky) guessing... are we just checking the block here?

The actual figure was 3 of 39 french students. All three scoring 1,1,1. I dont have figures for the other Cat 1/2's and Cat 3/4's test this week. Prior to this last French class students were being tested in week 8 and still only had 50% first time go's.

The idea is that SFQC students will study the language material they received after SFAS throughout the course. The trouble here is there isn't adequate time, at least not in the 18D course, to study your MOS and your language as well.

The break down is as such:

SFAS --received language CD's and books for self-study.

PH-II --at end of SERE students take a 2 week block of language prior to starting MOS

PH-III --8 weeks into MOS training for the A,B,C,E there is another two week block of language, Medics break for their 2 week block 40 weeks into MOS training.

PH-III --last 5 weeks of MOS

BLITZ--After MOS training Cat 1/2 languages have 8 weeks and Cat 3/4 have 12 weeks. Though blitz is supposed to be 2/3 months respectfully they are starting the testing in week 5 for Cat 1/2 and 9 weeks for Cat 3/4.

The passing score has been raised from 0+, 0+ to a 1,1,1.

Those who don't pass the first time will receive 150 hours retraining (3 weeks) and will be retested. Those who fail the retest will be sent to Group with a letter stating they failed to receive a passing grade on the DLPT.

SAGE --Target languages are supposed to be utilized during CULEX.

As I understand it, from speaking to several different teachers, the powers that be were told this was not an effective means to teach language.

As for materials, they are using the SOLT with some Rosetta Stone and Berlitz for self-study.

Hope this explains it a bit better

Crip

steeve20
04-18-2007, 16:19
Talk about highjacking the thread. Back to topic in english

Step one contact the company I assume you will chose A co. It is closest.
334-887-8973. Make appointment for interview w/the SGM or his representitive.

If they will accept you they will refer you to a recruiter.

Step two Enlist in ALANG

Step three-you will enter the NQP program. There you will be assesed every drill week end. When they decide your ready they will send you to selection.

If not selected you return to the unit. An assesment is made baised on:

Non Selected but completed. The unit will work on your week areas and when corrected will send you back to selection. This takes about a year

Non Select Med Drop. Evaluate the medical reason determine if you have a future in SF. Perminent medicale condition usually mean you need to find another unit.

Non Select NTR- Find another unit. They usually can transfer you to Group or Bn HQ's where there are MOS that do not require going to "Q" course.

Prior to selection it is unlikely that they will allow you to drill with another unit. If selected, with a good reason the SGM may allow you to drill with another unit.

If non selected and you wish to maintain a unit affilliation they will give you a conditional release to another unit. This includes units in other states or a reserve unit. If you want out you will be transfered to the control group.

Steve

Leozinho
04-18-2007, 21:18
Steve,

Those are the correct steps for prior-service types coming to a NG SF unit.

However, I think our original poster is not prior service. So he follows the Rep-63 path.

My unit's last Rep-63 non-select at SFAS recieved a NTR (Never to Return). (He was a 24 day Non-select, meaning he finished Selection but wasn't selected.) If I recall, he can submit a waiver after a year to go back to SFAS.

The SGM didn't want him to spend a year in the non-qual program and offered to send him to BN in the meantime, but the soldier preferred to transfer to an infantry unit in order to deploy.

To answer the poster's question: if you fail SFAS you will come back to the unit and can do an interstate transfer to SC. In fact, you may have too.

Surgicalcric
04-18-2007, 22:52
Steeve20:

He was provided POC info for the recruiter for Aco 1/20th. Hopefully he will use it.

Steve,

Those are the correct steps for prior-service types coming to a NG SF unit...

Leo:

Those are also the correct steps, down thru drilling with the unit, for NPS candidates wishing to enlist in 1/20th. ;) And his other questions were addressed via PM...

See you go graduating and all and now you think you can pop in and answer questions when you feel like it huh...lol. :p

Crip

steeve20
04-19-2007, 06:25
You must have me confused with someone else. I was tabbed in 1984! I don't think that is just getting tabbed. I know there are different ways to handle different NQP's. This is the most generric way I have seen.

Surgicalcric
04-19-2007, 06:50
You must have me confused with someone else. I was tabbed in 1984! I don't think that is just getting tabbed...

Steve:

My comments about being "tabbed" were directed at Leozinho, not at you. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Crip

The Reaper
04-19-2007, 08:08
You must have me confused with someone else. I was tabbed in 1984! I don't think that is just getting tabbed. I know there are different ways to handle different NQP's. This is the most generric way I have seen.

I think that is why Crip typed "Leo:" just above that comment.

'84 was a good year to graduate, BTW.

TR

steeve20
04-19-2007, 11:03
Actually I was not Tabbed in 84. I was awarded skill Identifier of "S" there was no Tab. Sorry for the inacurate statement.

x SF med
04-19-2007, 11:45
Actually I was not Tabbed in 84. I was awarded skill Identifier of "S" there was no Tab. Sorry for the inacurate statement.

Actually in Early 84, I got both the "S" and the Tab - tabs were put on with safety pins just prior to graduation. Sound right to you TR, TS, NDD? Got orders for both too, and then orders to 18 series later that year or early 85.

The Reaper
04-19-2007, 11:50
http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Tab/SpecialForcesTab.htm

The Chief of Staff, Army, approved the cloth SF tab in June 1983 and the metal replica on 25 November 1984.

http://www.army.mil/cmh/documents/misc/dago35-87.htm

As a result of renewed emphasis on special operations in the 1980s, the Special Forces Branch was established as a basic branch of the Army effective April 9, 1987, by General Orders No. 35, June 19, 1987.

Team Sergeant
04-19-2007, 13:02
Actually in Early 84, I got both the "S" and the Tab - tabs were put on with safety pins just prior to graduation. Sound right to you TR, TS, NDD? Got orders for both too, and then orders to 18 series later that year or early 85.

I don't remember the exact dates of when the SF Tabs came out, I'm sure someone on here will know. I was already wearing a green beret (since May 83) and really didn't care about "no stinking badges"....:D

TS

steeve20
04-19-2007, 14:50
When it first came out I thought hell now I have to have 6 uniforms resewn