PDA

View Full Version : New Book 7th Gp

BMT (RIP)
04-16-2004, 11:27
Honduras to Haiti about the 7th Gp circa '80's -'90's. Ronald W. Johnson

BMT

Psywar1-0
04-18-2004, 06:55
Does the Dust Jacket give any info on the author? Im Ass-you-meing that its written by a officer who spent alot of time in group. Name rings a bell at least. Will pick one up when Im at Bragg next month.

NousDefionsDoc
04-18-2004, 12:51
I knew a Ron Johnson who was/is a medic. Psywar - we need this book.

Brother Rat
04-18-2004, 12:59
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1410792781/qid=1082314715/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-4296048-1986364?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Psywar1-0
04-18-2004, 13:18
Back when I was driving Smitty and Jimbo around there was a guy by that name that was either the 3 of one of the Bn or perhaps the asst 3 at Group.

Anyway NDD I will bring ya a copy back.

NousDefionsDoc
04-18-2004, 13:25
Big blonde guy? Thanks Brother.

Psywar1-0
04-18-2004, 14:06
Yep Big Blonde Guy, mustache, IIRC had a Panamanian wife. But I could be wrong, Its been a day or 2 since then.

NousDefionsDoc
04-18-2004, 14:10
mustache, IIRC had a Panamanian wife.

LOL - Well, that narrows it down to about 2,000. :D

Sounds like the same guy I know. Good troop.

NousDefionsDoc
07-11-2004, 08:04
Not the same guy I knew, but I knew the author of this book as well and have read the book. I don't recommend this book. There are some interesting parts about his time in Psy ops but he is not a typical Team guy. I have talked with some 1/7 guys who had him in leadership positions and he was not well thought of. He spent most of his time in other than Team time.

His company relieved us in Panama just before Just Cause and I remember him. His main concern seemed to have been the paperwork on the contingency ammo. Our main concern was making sure we were prepared to execute the missions we were assigned.

Again, I do not recommend this book.

The Reaper
07-11-2004, 08:39
I have a copy I was given.

I remember him as well.

Interesting from the perspective of the individual and the people I know in it, but not sure that it adds much to the general knowledge base of SF.

TR

Team Sergeant
07-11-2004, 09:00
Originally posted by The Reaper
I have a copy I was given.

I remember him as well.

Interesting from the perspective of the individual and the people I know in it, but not sure that it adds much to the general knowledge base of SF.

TR

Look at the title, "Five Years in the Life of a Special Forces Sergeant"

5 years? Not much time on AD for an SF'er.

TS

NousDefionsDoc
07-11-2004, 09:46
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
Look at the title, "Five Years in the Life of a Special Forces Sergeant"

5 years? Not much time on AD for an SF'er.

TS

Roger. And according to the book, he spent 4.5 of those years on the B Team or in Psy Ops.

longrange1947
07-14-2004, 13:37
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Not the same guy I knew, but I knew the author of this book as well and have read the book. I don't recommend this book. There are some interesting parts about his time in Psy ops but he is not a typical Team guy. I have talked with some 1/7 guys who had him in leadership positions and he was not well thought of. He spent most of his time in other than Team time.

His company relieved us in Panama just before Just Cause and I remember him. His main concern seemed to have been the paperwork on the contingency ammo. Our main concern was making sure we were prepared to execute the missions we were assigned.

NDD, that's not the worm that gave me such a hard time during ammo turn over is it? I ahve seen anal and even reached that level a few times, but dam he was a pain.

NousDefionsDoc
07-14-2004, 15:14
Originally posted by longrange1947
NDD, that's not the worm that gave me such a hard time during ammo turn over is it? I ahve seen anal and even reached that level a few times, but dam he was a pain.

That's the one Master Sniper. Tall, blonde 1st Batt dufus (I know the last two are redundant :D ). A 1/7 if I'm not mistaken. They relieved us about Oct/Nov.

Roguish Lawyer
07-14-2004, 15:15
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc

Then I ain't readin it! :)

The Reaper
07-14-2004, 15:50
Originally posted by longrange1947

HOLY COW!!

Look what the cat dragged in!

Missed you here, Team Sergeant.

TR

longrange1947
07-16-2004, 12:18
TR - Good to see you on the compound today.

Nice scoot. :)

RB
12-10-2007, 07:33

Again, I do not recommend this book.__________________

Roger. And according to the book, he spent 4.5 of those years on the B Team or in Psy Ops.

'Dual ODA deployment': Some of us on that 'Climbing trip' to Ecuador written about in the book have a real hard time swallowing his BS. RJ spent ALL his time in the hooch and makes it sound like he was the 'hero'. :confused:

3 People made it to the top of all the volcanoes. :D

You know who you are and I-R-1. RJ is not.

Ruminjuague was a bitch.

JJ where are ya??

exsfdoc
12-11-2007, 00:41

'Dual ODA deployment': Some of us on that 'Climbing trip' to Ecuador written about in the book have a real hard time swallowing his BS. RJ spent ALL his time in the hooch and makes it sound like he was the 'hero'. :confused:

3 People made it to the top of all the volcanoes. :D

You know who you are and I-R-1. RJ is not.

Ruminjuague was a bitch.

JJ where are ya??

Thank you for saving me the money!

kachingchingpow
12-11-2007, 08:12
Check out the first 5-star endorsement on amazon. :p Someone fess up:

--
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

The Real Truth, July 8, 2004
By (it's on the link) (Fort Bragg, NC 28310)

SFC Johnson, Ronald W. wrote this book with the truth in mind. I have worked with him in 7th Group Special Forces. I am a cook for the great Green Berets. This book is my favorite book because i can relate for the events inside because of the men SFC Johnson and I have worked with even though I am just a support soilder.

RB
12-11-2007, 09:31
I like RJ.

Easy goin Team Sergeant, did a good job with coordination on that trip.....

Just wasn't too much into the 'action' stuff but he hung well enough.

Nuts & Bolts: If you tell the story and bash the 'other' ODA, but the 'other' ODA knows the real deal, then how are you to believe the 'rest of the story', so to speak......IMO........

We've all worked with some greats.....depends on your qualification of great....

CRad
12-11-2007, 18:00
I like RJ.

Easy goin Team Sergeant, did a good job with coordination on that trip.....

Just wasn't too much into the 'action' stuff but he hung well enough.

Nuts & Bolts: If you tell the story and bash the 'other' ODA, but the 'other' ODA knows the real deal, then how are you to believe the 'rest of the story', so to speak......IMO........

We've all worked with some greats.....depends on your qualification of great....

Having seen Team Sergeant's come and go over the years I have to say that the good ones, "the greats," move effortlessly between not just teams but also groups. In addition, if you can point to one ability above the rest as in " good job with coordination on that trip" he ain't all that good of a TS.

A good Team Sergeant does all things and does them well. Nothing about him stands out above anything else. It's his overall ability that strikes a chord.

I could be wrong about what I've said above but as I said, having seen some truly outstanding soldiers in action...I want some damn good evidence of being wrong.

Peregrino
12-11-2007, 19:03
I want some damn good evidence of being wrong.

I don't think anybody's going to call you on that one. You've got the proof living with you.

Reload
01-28-2008, 18:15
Longrange you should put together a book of some of the more humorous moments that you were either involved with or were permitted to see. I have often thought about getting with some of those guys and putting something out.

We could have chapters on :

"The Night Wacker"

"The Adios Torrijos Party"

"Fishing on the Lake"

"Barracks Rat Parties on the Lake"

"The Bend Over Daily"

I think the possibilities are endless!!!

kgoerz
01-28-2008, 22:56
Longrange you should put together a book of some of the more humorous moments that you were either involved with or were permitted to see. I have often thought about getting with some of those guys and putting something out.

We could have chapters on :

"The Night Wacker"

"The Adios Torrijos Party"

"Fishing on the Lake"

"Barracks Rat Parties on the Lake"

"The Bend Over Daily"

I think the possibilities are endless!!!

Problem is, the only people that would understand and find humor in those stories are the people that were there. We already know the story.