PDA

View Full Version : MP-5

Hipshot
04-14-2007, 11:40
:D Got my first chance to shoot an MP-5. Very nice weapon, good trigger control on full auto (3-4 round bursts). Put 75 rounds within a 8x8 box using iron sights. I would have thought that sub guns would have auto as the first selector setting (like the AK). Don't know if it's worth $28K for a 2 stamp SD model - seems a little pricey.

82ndtrooper
04-14-2007, 12:23
:D Got my first chance to shoot an MP-5. Very nice weapon, good trigger control on full auto (3-4 round bursts). Put 75 rounds within a 8x8 box using iron sights. I would have thought that sub guns would have auto as the first selector setting (like the AK). Don't know if it's worth $28K for a 2 stamp SD model - seems a little pricey.

MP5SD models are selling for around $24,000-$28,000 depending on the wear. The selecter that you most likely fired is the referred to as the "Navy Trigger" group. Some were with a safe, semi, auto, and some are safe, semi, 3-rd burst, and full auto. I recently sold mine for $24,500. Two stamps are pending approval. I needed the money more than I need the firearm. After all it's the 14th of April. :( I sold mine with a B&T mount for the M68 and replacement quad rail system with a Surefire M910A vertical foregrip light.

Here is one for sale that is a BTDS suppressor in semi auto. It can be changed over for FA sear with additonal stamp.

HERE: http://www.autoweapons.com/photos06/nov/1688mp5sd.html

If it's not an SD model then that is too highyly priced for any of the other models. A2, A3 Etc.

CoLawman
04-14-2007, 19:49
$$$$ I cannot believe the value on those. That was my first issued SWAT weapon in 1985. Hipshot is right....it was/is a fun weapon to shoot!

82ndtrooper
04-14-2007, 19:58
$$$$ I cannot believe the value on those. That was my first issued SWAT weapon in 1985. Hipshot is right....it was/is a fun weapon to shoot!

MP5's are the cadilac of sub-guns. Recoil is near negligable with the 9mm Luger MP5, therefore easy to control and keep on target. Personally I alway's thought the trigger could have used some work, but what do I know ?

The SD models with the integral suppressed barrel are far more fun to shoot than the other models. They do not require sub-sonic ammo like a non-suppressed unit that is later outfitted with QD type suppressors. At least if your attmepting to achieve the sound signature reduction as specified with the suppressor (147 grain 9mm Luger)

It seems most departments SWAT/SRT teams have changed over to the AR15/M4 carbine. I guess pistol sub-guns aren't that cool any more. :(

The Reaper
04-14-2007, 20:02

The weapon itself cost no more than the semi-auto version to make and there are plenty of full-auto verions out there around the world. I would say that they are less than $1000 each commercial price, brand new.

The scarcity, believe it or not is due to the 1986 Firearms Owner's Protection Act which had a poison pill put in at the last minute by the anti-gunners that ended production of full-auto weapons for private ownership. There was little immediate effect, but 20 years of demand, coupled with people buying them for investments have run the prices through the roof. An M-16 lower that was less than $500 in 1986 is now worth about $12,000, just because of the law, some paperwork, two extra parts, and some machining.

Slowly but surely, the anti-gunners are driving firearms out of our reach. Once gone, they are never coming back. As they intended.

TR

Team Sergeant
04-14-2007, 20:38
MP-5, never heard of it, what does it shoot?

J/K
I shot one once, ok ok ok, I've shot about 50,000 rounds through MP-5's........;) I could tell stories..... but I won't.:p

I will say that I've never had or seen a malfunction with an MP-5, ever......

TS

82ndtrooper
04-14-2007, 20:48
The weapon itself cost no more than the semi-auto version to make and there are plenty of full-auto verions out there around the world. I would say that they are less than $1000 each commercial price, brand new.

The scarcity, believe it or not is due to the 1986 Firearms Owner's Protection Act which had a poison pill put in at the last minute by the anti-gunners that ended production of full-auto weapons for private ownership. There was little immediate effect, but 20 years of demand, coupled with people buying them for investments have run the prices through the roof. An M-16 lower that was less than $500 in 1986 is now worth about $12,000, just because of the law, some paperwork, two extra parts, and some machining.

Slowly but surely, the anti-gunners are driving firearms out of our reach. Once gone, they are never coming back. As they intended.

TR

Your are correct ! Not that you were looking for my confirmation. I purchased mine IIRC 5 years ago (have to check my form 4) for $8,900 and am selling it for the stated market value based on current pricing nationwide.

TS:

I've had failures, but they were the product of handloads with light powder charges obviously not adequate enough to cycle the weapon.

jbour13
04-14-2007, 20:54
Love'em, want one, don't need one, just want it.

OEF Property was utilized to it's fullest in some weapons familiarization with my soldiers. The last unit was kind enough to send me to the sub-gun operations course in Sterling, VA. I had shot quite a few before that, I got a better appreciation after the course seeing how something great could be made even better with practice.

Simple function, simple iron sites, ease of operation and takedown. Can't get much better than that. :D

Jack Moroney (RIP)
04-15-2007, 05:26
Have put many rounds through them, never had a problem, allowed my 18Bs to use their ingenuity to make in house modifications to show the suits and stars what we could do if they would cut loose the bucks we needed to accomplish the tasks that they expected. Man, you gotta love the capabilities of a SF soldier when someone tells them that they can't do something. Bottom line, we got the bucks and the right systems for the right missions.:lifter This in house prototype was put together over 20 years ago so you can see how far we all have come.

82ndtrooper
04-15-2007, 07:09
Have put many rounds through them, never had a problem, allowed my 18Bs to use their ingenuity to make in house modifications to show the suits and stars what we could do if they would cut loose the bucks we needed to accomplish the tasks that they expected. Man, you gotta love the capabilities of a SF soldier when someone tells them that they can't do something. Bottom line, we got the bucks and the right systems for the right missions.:lifter This in house prototype was put together over 20 years ago so you can see how far we all have come.

Sir, that almost looks like the original prototype first designated the MP64.

Those are some funky mounts for the optic and light, but if they worked, it's proof of the ingenuity of the SF soldiers. ;)

Ambush Master
04-15-2007, 07:19

TR

The M-60 that I built, in 1985, cost me less than $!,000 including the $200 for the Form 1 and is now worth over $20K!!! See here: http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1705

My M-16A1 was brand new from Colt and was only $700 or so!!!

The prices are unreal!!

Later
Martin

82ndtrooper
04-15-2007, 08:13
The M-60 that I built, in 1985, cost me less than $!,000 including the $200 for the Form 1 and is now worth over $20K!!! See here: http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1705

My M-16A1 was brand new from Colt and was only $700 or so!!!

The prices are unreal!!

Later
Martin

AM:

I believe your M60 would garner about $50,000 at this time. As TR said, we can blame these prices on the 86 Firarms Protection Act. For me, it's paid to have have a couple of NFA firearms, but to others, they'll not sell for any amount of money.

Tuukka
04-15-2007, 10:32
Regarding the transferable MP5 (MP5K, MP5SD) submachineguns, to my knowledge there are no HK factory weapons available, since none were in civilian hands before 1968 and those imported after that were not available for civilian purchase.

All of the transferable complete weapons/receivers/sears being versions modified from the HK94 carbines before 1986.

Going rate over here, depending on manufacturer/model and source of purchase, is around 1000 USD - 3500 USD.

The Reaper
04-15-2007, 10:48
Regarding the transferable MP5 (MP5K, MP5SD) submachineguns, to my knowledge there are no HK factory weapons available, since none were in civilian hands before 1968 and those imported after that were not available for civilian purchase.

All of the transferable complete weapons/receivers/sears being versions modified from the HK94 carbines before 1986.

Going rate over here, depending on manufacturer/model and source of purchase, is around 1000 USD - 3500 USD.

IIRC, dealer samples and LE weapons, to include MP5s, prior to 1986 were transferrable to qualified individuals.

I have a friend who was a cop and was allowed to purchase and transfer his department MP5 upon retirement, but that was many years ago. There are a finite number of transferrables in the US and a lot of increasing demand, so the price is always rising.

The only way to beat it, even in an auto weapon friendly state, is for a corporation to purchase them, which then lets you deal in non-transferables, and bypass the CLEO sign-off, IIRC. The downside is that if you form a corporation just to own the weapons, you better be a dealer, because corporations doing nothing but buying Class III weapons are a big no go otherwise, and the ATFE will shut you down hard. See some of the other, more specialized sites or an attorney for more info on this topic. As always, we do not advocate making any mistakes with something that carries the penalties that NFA violations do.

If all you want is the thrill of blasting a mag or a belt, just find someplace where you can rent one for an hour or so.

Or see your recruiter.:D

TR

swatsurgeon
04-15-2007, 14:13
according to my HK pricelist, they cost an LE agency ~$1600 new. Several reasons some LE switched to M4s........parts are a bitch to get hold of for the MP-5, it is considered a short range/CQB gun, the M4 more distance versatile, less expensive for maintenence and you get 2 for 1 against the MP-5 cost.

Our Tac-Med school uses them rather than the M4....if anyone knows an LE agency wanting to dump MP-5s and get 2 for 1 ( 2 M4s for 1 MP-5) let me know, our school buys them since we are LE/DHS agency based.

The MP-5 is still a great weapon and the standard to which others are judged. As I'm sure TS will agree, they do the job that their operator intends.

ss