PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illustrated First Issue

zuluzerosix
04-14-2007, 10:55
The father of a fellow manager here where I work passed away yesterday morning. His son was cleaning out his apartment and found this.

First Issue 08/1954.

Complete with baseball cards. One is a Jackie Robinson origional.

zuluzerosix
04-14-2007, 10:57
Here is a few more:

82ndtrooper
04-14-2007, 23:58
Out of my lane. edited per next response. Nice finds though.

NousDefionsDoc
04-15-2007, 01:51
Is this breaking news ? or just breaking news to you ? :munchin
Were you named a moderator on here and no one told me?

82ndtrooper
04-15-2007, 01:54
Were you named a moderator on here and no one told me?

I was just about to edit that into a friendly suggestion to use the sports discussion forum. I'll crank out some pushups.

CPTAUSRET
04-15-2007, 08:34
Here is a few more:

That was one hell of a fight, by the way!

Team Sergeant
04-15-2007, 09:25
Is this breaking news ? or just breaking news to you ? :munchin

You are not SF, nor are you a staff member of Professionalsoldiers.com.

The next time a Quiet Professional or staff member has an issue with you you're gone.

There is a outstanding paratrooper bulletin board located at;
http://www.paratrooper.net/ where you might feel right at home.

Team Sergeant
I don't want to see a post from you for two weeks.

The Reaper
04-15-2007, 09:42
That was one hell of a fight, by the way!

When I hear names like Joe Louis, Ezzard Charles, Jersey Joe Walcott, Rocky Marciano, Floyd Patterson, Ingemar Johansson, Sonny Liston, Cassius Clay, Joe Frazier, and George Foreman it reminds me of a day before Pay Per View, Don King, and criminals posing as athletes ruining the Sweet Science.

The modern boxing world has lost its direction, and its fans, and is headed into the toilet of obscurity, unless someone steps up and rescues it.

That Sports Illustrated issue goes back to a day when boxing was king, and real men fought for the prize, with honor.

TR

CPTAUSRET
04-15-2007, 09:54
When I hear names like Joe Louis, Ezzard Charles, Jersey Joe Walcott, Rocky Marciano, Floyd Patterson, Ingemar Johansson, Sonny Liston, Cassius Clay, Joe Frazier, and George Foreman it reminds me of a day before Pay Per View, Don King, and criminals posing as athletes ruining the Sweet Science.

The modern boxing world has lost its direction, and its fans, and is headed into the toilet of obscurity, unless someone steps up and rescues it.

That Sports Illustrated issue goes back to a day when boxing was king, and real men fought for the prize, with honor.

TR

TR:

I couldn't agree more! We have lost the age of innocence!

Sonny Liston did however have a bit of a shady past.

The Reaper
04-15-2007, 09:56
TR:

I couldn't agree more! We have lost the age of innocence!

Sonny Liston did however have a bit of a shady past.

So did Ali, but never in the ring.

TR

Sdiver
04-15-2007, 10:00
Great find, on that Magazine.

Here's hoping that your buddy keeps that Magazine in the good condition it's in. Already that's got to be worth quit a bit. You should suggest to him to put it in a safty deposit box. Because that thing is only going to go up in price.

TR

If that's not the truth right there. I remeber my Grandfathers staying home on Friday nights, just to watch the "Friday Night Fights".

It's a shame, what has happened to the sport.

zuluzerosix
04-15-2007, 10:56
Quiet Professionals and Honorable members of this site:

Please forgive me for posting in the wrong place. I did read the stickies, I did know where to post but I managed to screw this up. Operator Headspace was way off. I did not mean to cause anyone any drama. I assure you this will never happen again.

Again, I apologize I have absolutely no excuse as to why I screwed this up.

Sincerely,

R

The Reaper
04-15-2007, 11:10

Please forgive me for posting in the wrong place. I did read the stickies, I did know where to post but I managed to screw this up. Operator Headspace was way off. I did not mean to cause anyone any drama. I assure you this will never happen again.

Sincerely,

R

Hey, F&I guy, don't panic, no problem.

I moved it to the right place.

Just turn your SA up and don't make the same mistake again.

Keep you feet and knees together and execute a dynamite Parachute Landing Fall.

TR

Team Sergeant
04-15-2007, 13:50

Sincerely,

R

R,

You'll know if we have a probelm with you. We're not ones to mince words.;)

Team Sergeant

not mince (your) words
to say what you mean clearly and directly, even if you upset people by doing this.
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/mince+words

zuluzerosix
04-15-2007, 14:11
Thanks fellas. Sure would like to liberate that magazine though. That is a pretty cool heirloom. I knew the old man that died. The HH6 used to keep watch over him whenever he needed it over at the Nursing Home.

Tons O' Spunk and an Army Vet. The old man was never afraid to say what was on his mind. The only thing, was what was on his mind was often questionable. :D

I thought he was a cool guy. His son came in today to get some more boxes to pack up his apartment. He said he cleaned out the frig. It was loaded with all stuff he was not supposed to be eating: capers, cheese, anchovies, sardines, water crackers, gallons of Olive Oil, cheese cakes...

You get the picture. Hell, I should have gone to his house for lunch instead of the gut truck!

rubberneck
04-15-2007, 14:25

TR

I used to be a huge boxing fan, but over the past decade or so that has begun to fade for me. Something changed in the sport in the late 80's, early 90's. I don't know if it was from the money or the Mike Tyson effect.

While I didn't get to see the great ones you listed fight in their prime I did get to see really great fighters like Marvin Hagler, Larry Holmes, Sugar Ray Leonard, Ray Boom Boom Mancini, Thomas Hit Man Hearns, Aaron Pryor and others that escape me right now. Those fights were so much more interesting to watch than 99% of the over hyped garbage you see in todays boxing matches.

It really is sad what that sport has become. Just look at the current crop of heavyweights. Not one of them would have lasted more than three rounds against Liston, Frazier, Ali and Foreman in their primes.

The Reaper
04-15-2007, 14:36
Agreed.

And when the only way to watch a championship fight is to pay $60 to watch from your living room, or $1000 to be there, you lose public interest and your fan base of young kids that need to be the boxers and fans of the future. Especially when the overpriced mismatch has the fight over in less than one round.

You make a lot of money right now, at the expense of the future. And I don't see King and Arum concerned about anything more than immediate gratification. How many people can tell you right now who the world heavyweight champion(s) is/are? When it was Louis, Marciano, or Ali, everyone could.

For me, Leon Spinks was the beginning of the end. Tyson's antics were the death knell.

TR