PDA

View Full Version : Question?

echoes
04-14-2007, 05:52
Greetings Gentlemen.

Per the request on this forums sticky, I have no medical training other than basic first-aid & CPR.

(Since this is my first post in this forum, please remove/ delete if inappropriate.)

I used the search button this morning, and looked up Cold/Flu/Vitamin C, and was unable to locate the information I was searching for.

Scenario: Have caught the typical spring time cold, and never take pills or goto the Doc, just let it run it's course. However, the last 24 hours have had fever/chills etc...and have been pounding cartons, (yep) of 100% Orange Juice. It is like my body is craving it, and at 33 yrs old, this is new to me.

Question? Is it harmful or dangerous to do this, as I am craving more right now.

My appreciation for taking the time to read this post, and/or any feeback.

Thank You,
Holly

Eagle5US
04-14-2007, 07:31
Hi Holly-

Sorry you are sick. Vitamin C (500mg per day) has been shown to have some positive effects, but pounding cartons of OJ can lead to some serious ulcers in your mouth from the citric acid content.

Tylenol is good for fever / chills, generally these things last a few days to just over a week. If your fever doesn't respond to the tylenol (dropping below 101 degrees F) and you continue to feel poorly, please make sure there is nothing more serious going on and see your family physician.

Stay hydrated, be as active as you are capable, and this should run it's course. Chicken soup does actually make you feel better-especially when someone else brings it to you :D

Get well soon.

Eagle

echoes
04-14-2007, 08:04
Hi Holly-

Sorry you are sick. Vitamin C (500mg per day) has been shown to have some positive effects, but pounding cartons of OJ can lead to some serious ulcers in your mouth from the citric acid content.

Tylenol is good for fever / chills, generally these things last a few days to just over a week. If your fever doesn't respond to the tylenol (dropping below 101 degrees F) and you continue to feel poorly, please make sure there is nothing more serious going on and see your family physician.

Stay hydrated, be as active as you are capable, and this should run it's course. Chicken soup does actually make you feel better-especially when someone else brings it to you :D

Get well soon.

Eagle

Sir,
Thank you for the information...I use Scope three times a day, and maybe that will help, don't want to get ulcers(in my mouth?) Didn't know that.

Am single, so all chicken soup will be prepared by me.;)

Thank You again,
Holly

adal
04-14-2007, 10:23
Echoes,
You can go to the cold medicine section of most drug stores and get "emergen-c". 1000mg of vit c. According to directions can be taken two to three times a day. Don't have to worry about the ulcer / citric acid. Same product as "airborne" the stuff created by the school teacher for flight borne illness.
As said earlier stay hydrated. If it doesn't get better by the weekend or gets worse or spreads to somewhere else, go see your Doc.
Hope you feel better.
adal

91B for 2yrs then 18D for next 11yrs, current ground and flight medic. (just read the sticky, sorry)

Doczilla
04-14-2007, 23:26
There is not a serious problem with drinking lots of OJ, and the vitamin C and potassium are good for you. If you're really craving it, this might be a hint that you are not quite hydrated enough. Keep drinking plenty of liquids: water, chicken soup, non-caffinated soda, no alcohol. Eagle's advice is solid, as always.

'zilla

echoes
04-15-2007, 09:46
Adal, Sir, Thank you for the information. I shouldn't driving a vehicle just yet, as still feverish, But will go asap.

Doczilla, Thank You for the helpful information. I have a water pitcher, and am keeping it right next to me.

Holly