PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Mich/Kevlar Helmet?

hoot72
04-14-2007, 05:35
Quick question: Is this a certified kevlar helmet and does anyone use this or is this just limited to members of the sof in the navy?

RTK
04-14-2007, 05:58
Are there any identifying marks on the inside, like an NSN#? It's tough to tell for sure without more info.

hoot72
04-14-2007, 06:12
Are there any identifying marks on the inside, like an NSN#? It's tough to tell for sure without more info.

I am not entirely sure if it has an NSN number....the reason I ask is I had seen a similar helmet used by a member of the navy when I had visited matt alexson's website (god bless him).

Was wondering if this was a mich type helmet or if it was infact a tanker's helmet which looks a hell of a lot like this.

Mods, please feel free to delete this thread or subject matter if it is sensitive or if you think its insensitive towards the four gentleman who lost their lives.

Anyways, god bless them for their service to the country and for their sacrifices.....

The Reaper
04-14-2007, 07:52
It isn't a MICH or an ACH.

Why do you ask?

TR

stanley_white
04-14-2007, 07:57
http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/TC2001-MICH-Combat-HelmetSide-cut-Restricted-Item-P67C80.aspx

It's high cut for Peltor use.

Snaquebite
04-14-2007, 08:21
http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/TC2001-MICH-Combat-HelmetSide-cut-Restricted-Item-P67C80.aspx

It's high cut for Peltor use.

Correct, the ACH (Advanced Combat Helmet) TC2000/2001/2002 are manufactured by MSA. (Mine Safety Appliances)

http://www.msanet.com/paraclete/products-helmets/index.asp

This helmet does not look like a TC2001 or TC2002...

Surgicalcric
04-14-2007, 09:42
...This helmet does not look like a TC2001 or TC2002...

Armored Vehicle Crew helmet with the headset removed.

Crip

RTK
04-14-2007, 10:28
I went fo the easy answer this morning with the NSN before I went in to teach. I concur with Surgicalcric after looking closer.

Most CVCs have two grommets on the front area tandem to each other. If there's a button snap on the back of the helmet I'd agree its a CVC. Take a look at where the top of your head would go. It it looks like there used to be a 2 inch wide piece of velcro, it's probably a CVC. It also appears to have been modified with an Oregon Aero BLSS (Ballistic Liner & Suspension System) kit.

If it's a CVC, it's a VIC I. VIC IIIs (as I'm looking at one in our instructor office) have a sharper angle from the top of the earhole to the brow protector.

I wouldn't wear it for any hope of ballistic protection in a dismounted capacity, though. I've seen too many CVCs with clean holes through them.

Sinister
04-14-2007, 14:49
There are two versions of the CVC. The original CVC provides head protection for an armored vehicle crewman and provides little to no ballistic protection. The Ballistic CVC provides about the same protection as the older US PASGT helmet while also holding crewman's comms.

Your picture is NOT an ACH/MICH.

hoot72
04-14-2007, 21:31
I figured it looked a hell of a lot like a tankers helmet so my hunch wasnt too far off. I was asking as I wasnt 2 sure if it offered ballistic protection or was infact kevlar composite...but having read your comments and suggestions, makes sense that it isnt a modified helmet or a mich helmet.

I guess it does offer some basic protection but obviously, not as much as the mich might.

thanks for your replies gentlemen.