PDA

View Full Version : FOG PT

CL31542
04-13-2007, 11:27
As I "skied" around town last night, it occurred to me that for those of you who, like myself, are best advised to curtail your running due to bad knees, back, etc. nordic walking might be a useful substitute. Originally developed as an off-season conditioning method for biathletes and nordic ski racers, nordic walking provides a good cardio workout while reducing the pounding to the joints. If interested, more information is available from the American Nordic Walking Association (http://www.anwa.us) or by just googling "nordic walking."

Chris

82ndtrooper
04-14-2007, 07:35
As I "skied" around town last night, it occurred to me that for those of you who, like myself, are best advised to curtail your running due to bad knees, back, etc. nordic walking might be a useful substitute. Originally developed as an off-season conditioning method for biathletes and nordic ski racers, nordic walking provides a good cardio workout while reducing the pounding to the joints. If interested, more information is available from the American Nordic Walking Association (http://www.anwa.us) or by just googling "nordic walking."

Chris

I'll stick to walking the dog and smoking my cigar. :p

Bill Harsey
12-08-2008, 12:39
Used the search function before posting and found this.

Was going to ask if anyone has tried it.
My work out trail here on the place is 2 miles length for one circuit and it's on forested slope, usually wet and a bit slippery with scattered broken limbs to keep the footing interesting.
For these reasons I started carrying a single trekking pole, changing hands depending on the sidehill. Noticed that my arms and shoulders felt the work too and thought two sticks might be better than one so I googled "walking poles" and found the Nordic Walking.

All this is to try and keep Ambush Master and The Reaper within sight at SHOT Show.

Edited to add: Just came off the trail and there is more to this than it sounds like. One has the choice to use all the upper body horsepower ya want on the uphills, like having 4 wheel drive. Now we just need more horsepower.
The sticks also saved my ass a couple times when feet slipped on the wet stuff.