PDA

View Full Version : Asparagus/ Thai style

kunf0002
04-13-2007, 02:52
If you have to eat vegetables, then Brocolli and asparagus are the most nutritious so:

In a WOK or Fry Pan:

Cut a pound and a half of Asparagus into 1.5 to 2 inch lengths.( 1 or 2 bundles )
Chop 1 bulb of garlic or less for you.
Cook the garlic in 2-4 Tablespoons of vegetable oil for 1 minute.
Add the asparagus and cook an additional 2 minutes.(can add more oil)
Add 2 tablespons Oyster Sauce; one tablespoon Fish Sauce; 1 teaspoon of sugar; 1 teaspoon of salt; 1 teaspoon of white pepper. Stir an additional minute or two, and done.

I set aside the dry ingredients, add Oyster Sauce first, and add the Fish Sauce last, and cut back on the salt. White pepper can be had cheaper at oriental stores probably. I always overcook everything, but just add the garlic and get the wok or fry pan hot as hell before adding asparagus. As soon as it gets hot as hell the garlic is cooked so probably less time on the garlic if you heat like hell. I use more oil and drain it off too, so modify at will. The trick of the recipe is to balance the salt and sugar against each other. I add honey and sugar initially, then I balance further using sugar and the fish sauce as the salt, because fish sauce is salty. There is a possibility that the fish sauce has Omega 3 in it, good to guard against stroke.

Sesame oil/olive oil, etc, can vary the flavor. Fast, good, and nutritious. Goes with anything. Served best with young Thai women.