PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Question - 18W?

x-factor
04-11-2007, 20:40
I was talking with a female colleague about the use of women in field work (especially in traditional Muslim areas) and we got on kind of a hypothetical tangent and, under the heading of "no idea is too stupid to discuss", I thought you guys might be interested in the notion...

Would it be useful for the Army to create a Special Forces MOS for female soldiers (call it 18W) in order to widen capabilities for counterinsurgency, civil affairs, intel collection, etc? There are already women in military roles (HUMINT, civil affairs, military police, etc) and in civillian agencies that involve dangerous field work. And by creating a specific MOS for it, you would be better able to draw suitable recruits and then train them to specific SF needs and SF-level standards.

Assume that the motivation and mindset are present, but assume also that the average 18W (however tip top her shape by women's standards) would still not be able to physically keep up with the men...does this disqualify the very concept or could a compromise be made in order to add capability without compromising the team's standards? Could you, for example, restrict her to certain types of missions (for example, no DA or SR missions)? If so, could she be a full time ODA member or would she have to be a group asset, detailed out to ODAs for specific assignments?

I'm not advocating anything, but I thought it was an interesting hypothetical to throw out there.

The Reaper
04-11-2007, 21:49
I was talking with a female colleague about the use of women in field work (especially in traditional Muslim areas) and we got on kind of a hypothetical tangent and, under the heading of "no idea is too stupid to discuss", I thought you guys might be interested in the notion...

Would it be useful for the Army to create a Special Forces MOS for female soldiers (call it 18W) in order to widen capabilities for counterinsurgency, civil affairs, intel collection, etc? There are already women in military roles (HUMINT, civil affairs, military police, etc) and in civillian agencies that involve dangerous field work. And by creating a specific MOS for it, you would be better able to draw suitable recruits and then train them to specific SF needs and SF-level standards.

Assume that the motivation and mindset are present, but assume also that the average 18W (however tip top her shape by women's standards) would still not be able to physically keep up with the men...does this disqualify the very concept or could a compromise be made in order to add capability without compromising the team's standards? Could you, for example, restrict her to certain types of missions (for example, no DA or SR missions)? If so, could she be a full time ODA member or would she have to be a group asset, detailed out to ODAs for specific assignments?

I'm not advocating anything, but I thought it was an interesting hypothetical to throw out there.

This has been flogged to death here and has caused some personal disagreements. Have you searched and read all of them already?

It is a bad idea to have people in MOSes who cannot meet the same standards as everyone else in the MOS. Why make them 18s, why not leave them in whatever MOS that they possess and is needed by the force?

Too many additional issues with physical issues and boys being boys/girls being girls.

No how, no way.

Stop starting threads without searching for previous discussions on the topics.

I consider this one trolling, regardless, which is a very dangerous activity for non-QP newbies to engage in. You have been warned.

Thread closed.

TR