PDA

View Full Version : More than 133,000 (Russian) men to be conscripted in spring 2007

tsod275
03-30-2007, 08:32
More than 133,000 men to be conscripted in spring 2007

29/03/2007 22:09 MOSCOW, March 29 (RIA Novosti) - Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a decree on the spring call-up, under which 133,500 men will be drafted in April-June 2007, the Kremlin press service said Thursday.

On March 12, Putin signed a decree reducing the term of military conscription from two years to one for those drafted after January 1, 2008.

The term of conscription for those drafted in 2007 has been reduced to 18 month, but those drafted before January 1, 2007 will still have to serve for two years.

The two-year term has been in force in Russia for almost four decades, but recent reductions in the number of military personnel and the gradual transition to a professional voluntary military has allowed the country to cut the length of mandatory military service to 12 months.

Former Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov said in January that a large part of the Russian Armed Forces will still be manned by conscription in the future, and that only units on constant combat readiness will be fully manned by volunteers on a contract basis.

The Defense Ministry said recently that the Armed Forces have been reduced to 1,134,000 men at present, and that Russia will continue gradual reductions with the goal of achieving a level of 1,000,000 servicemen by 2010.

Goggles Pizano
03-30-2007, 10:15
Do they have the funds to pay, train, and outfit them I wonder?

The Reaper
03-30-2007, 10:19
Well, they will after they pimp them out as male prostitutes, as they recently have done.

That is a list you do not want to be on.:rolleyes:

TR

tsod275
03-30-2007, 10:40
Do they have the funds to pay, train, and outfit them I wonder?

Yes, they do.

----------------------------
02/07/2007 11:22 GMT By VLADIMIR ISACHENKOV Associated Press Writer MOSCOW

The Russian military will sharply increase the number of new intercontinental ballistic missiles to be deployed this year as part of an ambitious weapons modernization plan, Russia's defense minister said Wednesday.

Sergei Ivanov said the military would get 17 new ballistic missiles _ a drastic rise compared with an average four deployed annually over recent years. The purchases are part of a weapons modernization program for 2007-2015 worth about $189 billion.

Ivanov said in a speech before lawmakers that the plan envisages the deployment of the total of 34 new silo-based Topol-M missiles and their control units, as well as another 50 such missiles mounted on mobile launchers through 2015; Russia so far has deployed more than 40 silo-based Topol-Ms.

President Vladimir Putin and other Russian officials have described the Topol-M as a bulwark of Russia's nuclear might for years to come, and hailed its ability to penetrate any prospective missile defenses. Putin last week dismissed Washington's claims that missile defense sites it hopes to establish in Poland and the Czech Republic were intended to counter threats posed by Iran, and said that Russia would respond by developing even more efficient weapons systems.

A rising tide of oil revenues gave Russia a chance to increase its defense spending following a desperate money shortage that plagued the military throughout the 1990s.

"The economic growth and the scientific achievements allow us to reach a qualitatively new level in military procurement," Ivanov said.

Russia's defense budget which stood at $8.1 billion in 2001 nearly quadrupled to $31 billion this year, Ivanov said.

But despite a steady increase in military spending in recent years, Putin said last week that Moscow's military budget was still 25 times smaller than Washington's defense spending.

Ivanov said that a share of weapons purchases in the military budget also has been growing over years. This year, the military will spend $5.4 billion on new weapons, buying aircraft, tanks and other armored vehicles and four new satellites, he said.

----------------------------
UAE confirms modified Pantsir S1 delivery schedule
(3/28/2007 12:00:09 AM) - David C. Isby

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) will take delivery of the first of a batch of 50 Russian KBP Instrument Design Bureau Pantsir S1 combined gun and surface-to-air (SAM) missile systems before the end of 2007, writes David C Isby.

The announced schedule for deliveries is 12 systems in 2007, 24 in 2008 and 14 in 2009.

Earlier Pantsir SAM systems ordered in 2000 were delivered to the UAE starting in November 2004. A number of design problems were identified after evaluation - especially regarding operation under conditions in the UAE - and a new radar was requested. These obstacles are reported to have been overcome by the Pantsir S1 version.

The Pantsir S1 system was tested in the UAE in December 2006. Trials included live-fire tests using locally designed Yabhon air targets. Further field testing is scheduled for June and July 2007.

Moscow has continued efforts to expand the market for weapons and systems in the UAE, and the region as a whole. This was reflected by extensive participation by Russian state arms export agency Rosoboronexport and some 50 other defence industry enterprises at the IDEX 2007 International Defence Exhibition and Conference in Abu Dhabi on 18-22 February, which included a demonstration of the Pantsir S1.

© 2007 Jane's Information Group

incommin
03-30-2007, 10:41
One year? How effective will a unit be filled with personnel with less than one year of training and service........ doesn't seem very cost effective to me.

Jim

tsod275
03-30-2007, 10:47
Russia mulls MIRV Topol-M decision
(3/28/2007 12:00:09 AM)

Russia is about to decide if it will install multiple independently targetable re-entry vehicles (MIRVs) on its Topol-M (SS-27) intercontinental ballistic missiles, Colonel-General Nikolay Solovtsov, commander of the Strategic Rocket Forces told a news conference in Moscow.

Production of the Topol-M involves more than 500 contactors and this industrial team expects to have the capability to offer a MIRV payload. "In the near future, possibly in this room, you will hear a formal announcement of the decision," Gen Solovtsov stated.

Topol-M has a throw weight of 1,200 kg. Rounds already fielded carry a single warhead believed to be of 550 kT yield, although one Russian report suggests a yield of 1 MT.

There have been unconfirmed reports that the missile would be capable of carrying up to six warheads, and a report in 2003 stated that a 4 to 6 MIRV version was being developed, with a reduced range of 9,000 km. A Russian report in 2005 stated that there would be three MIRV and four decoys.

Seven Topol-Ms will be delivered during 2007. Four silo-based launchers will be added to a unit in Tatishchevo, Saratov Region, and three mobile launchers will be deployed in Teykovo, Ivanovo Region.

By about 2016, the Russian Strategic Missile Forces (SMF) will be armed only with mobile and silo-based Topol-M missiles, Gen Solovtsov predicted. "Combat missile systems in operation today, whose service lives have expired or have been extended, will be removed from combat duty."

A few regiments armed with the earlier Topol ICBM (SS-25 'Sickle') systems will soon be disbanded, starting in 2007 with "the first stationary regiment of the Kozelsk army".

© 2007 Jane's Information Group

------------------------------------------

tsod275
03-30-2007, 10:50
Russian arms exports break records
19:54 | 06/ 03/ 2007

MOSCOW. (RIA Novosti military commentator Viktor Litovkin) - Russia exported $8 billion worth of weapons and hardware in 2006, according to Mikhail Dmitriyev, director of Russia's Federal Military-Technical Cooperation Service.

Arms exports amounted to $6.5 billion and spare parts and military services to $1.5 billion. This is more than the preliminary figure for arms exports as of late 2006, estimated at $6.3 billion, already a substantial increase on the 2005 figure of $6.226 billion. The revised figure $6.5 billion was officially announced in early February.

The Russian arms export business is doing better with every passing month and is facing a bright future. Sales figures are tentatively summed up at the end of every year and revised when Rosoboronexport, the state arms import-export monopoly, counts its receipts in February. The $8 billion export record will not be broken until the next year.

Dmitriyev said the value of Rosoboronexport's contract portfolio amounted to nearly $30 billion. Although not all of these potential contracts will be carried out, the figure clearly demonstrates a steadily growing demand for Russian weapons.

Aircraft equipment accounted for 57% of total arms exports in 2006, and naval items for 39%, with air defense and multi-service systems making up the rest. It is almost impossible to establish which systems were sold and for how much because that information is confidential. However, Russia reports its arms export figures to the UN, and military experts, as well as simply inquisitive people, can learn the details several months later from the UN Register of Conventional Arms (UNROCA), which is published in the press.

Still, we know that one of the largest contracts in 2006 stipulated the delivery to India of three Tu-22M3 Backfire aircrafts, two anti-submarine Il-38SD May planes, and 13 modules for licensed assembly of Su-30MKI Flanker multirole fighters.

China imported one Project 636 diesel submarine and one Project 956EM destroyer, Rif-M naval air defense systems (the export version of S-300FM Fort-M, NATO designation SA-N-20) and Shtil-1 (SA-N-12 Grizzly) short-range surface-to-air missile systems, as well as 150 anti-submarine and anti-ship missiles.

But the biggest surprises last year were the delivery of four multirole Su-30MK2 Flanker fighters and 18 helicopters (including six Mi-17B-5 Hip, three Mi-172 civilian helicopters, eight Mi-35 and one Mi-26T Halo), along with the sale of equipment for a plant to produce AK-101 and AK-104 Kalashnikov guns, to Venezuela; the supply of 29 Tor-1 short-range air defence systems to Iran; and the export of two MiG-29SMT Fulcrum planes to Algeria.

All of the above took place despite pressure from Washington and sanctions imposed by the US Department of State on companies cooperating with Rosoboronexport. It also means that Russia is not wincing at each harsh word from Washington, because it knows that this is part of a tough rivalry on the global arms market.

Although it has posted very good results in the past few years, Moscow is not the world leader on that market. The undisputed champion is the United States, which sold $11.55 billion worth of weapons in 2005 (there is no official data for 2006 yet), excluding the value of spare parts, modules and other services.

The runners-up, after Russia, are France, the United Kingdom, Germany and Israel.

The latter exports mainly warfare control systems, such as reconnaissance, communications, target acquisition and navigation systems, and it also modernises and upgrades weapons for its clients. In other words, Israel exports technological systems that cost much more than ordinary weapons.

Russia is lagging behind other countries in that sector, but the government's military-industrial commission has been working hard to close the gap. This gives reason to hope that Russian-made weapons systems, the best in the world and among the least expensive, will soon be complemented by comparable warfare control systems.

The opinions expressed in this article are the author's and do not necessarily represent those of RIA Novosti.

Monsoon65
03-30-2007, 15:18
One year? How effective will a unit be filled with personnel with less than one year of training and service........ doesn't seem very cost effective to me.

Jim

Probably not very effective. I remember my first year in the service. If I was lucky, I could pour piss out of a boot without splashing myself.

Razor
03-30-2007, 18:20
Boy, I sure am glad the Russians are our friends, or we'd look pretty dumb closing all those USAF and USN bases in the northeast since there wasn't a threat coming from that direction any longer, huh? :rolleyes:

On a different, but thread related note, the German army had a two year term of service when I was stationed there. The German NCOs I spoke to hated it, because the clock started when Heinz stepped off the bus, and he was usually 6-8 months from ETS when he finished training and finally got to his unit.

Monsoon65
03-31-2007, 13:57
Boy, I sure am glad the Russians are our friends, or we'd look pretty dumb closing all those USAF and USN bases in the northeast since there wasn't a threat coming from that direction any longer, huh? :rolleyes:

On a different, but thread related note, the German army had a two year term of service when I was stationed there. The German NCOs I spoke to hated it, because the clock started when Heinz stepped off the bus, and he was usually 6-8 months from ETS when he finished training and finally got to his unit.

When I was in Germany and working with German Luftwaffe, their career NCOs had the same bitch. Kids would get there and they had them for about 6-8 months. Just when they were getting to be good troops, they were discharged.

CERBERUS
05-26-2007, 11:47
During my brief sojourn through Russia I met many young men who evaded conscription through a variety of techniques. It is very easy to bribe local military officials if you have the cash and if not young under employed males can easily function below the radar. Not to mention the favored technique of Vietnam era draft evaders, many of which you will find here in the United States overstaying entry visas.

The russian military is brutal to its conscripts with beatings and extortion being fairly common occurences coming from the higher ranks. For some it is a death sentence, especially if they are sent to nasty areas such as Kaliningrad.

As far as Russia being our friend as was mentioned previously, I would have to disagree or at least assume that you were being sarcastic...

Hope I am not intruding.

CoLawman
05-26-2007, 13:38
As far as Russia being our friend as was mentioned previously, I would have to disagree or at least assume that you were being sarcastic...

Hope I am not intruding.

I can assure you Razor was being sarcastic.

kgoerz
05-26-2007, 18:35
I remember the first time I was inside the famous Hind Helicopter. It looked like it was put together by a Team of drunk Plumbers. Then when it flew. No one could move around because the shift in weight would bring it down. Once the Afghans started using stingers against them effectively. The Hind Pilots went from walking on water to having the nickname Cosmonauts. because they flew so high and wouldn't come down to give support.
Anyone know the story behind the Hind that was flying around Bragg after Gulf War One?
I read somewhere that one of the plans during the Cold War, if Russia came across the German Border. Was for us just to pull back. It was estimated that 40% of their vehicles would encounter some kind of failure the first 48 hours. I believe it after seeing the inside of a few of them.