PDA

View Full Version : SOCM Questions

Huggybear
03-30-2007, 00:03
Let me preface this with an apology if it happens to be in the wrong place. The 18D forum seemed most appropriate to me since, to my understanding, the SOCM course is a component of the 18D course. If I'm incorrect in that I'd appreciate correction. I did do a search for posts regarding SOCM, but didn't find exactly what I am looking for.

I just finished .civ paramedic school, and discovered that I love the work even more than I thought I might. I also discovered that the active Army has the ACASP program, and that National Registry credentials of Basic or better get you into the final 10 weeks of the program. Finally, I discovered that there are Army units which need 68Ws, and recruit them if they meet other standards in addition to the MOS.

My immediate question is this: Will skipping the initial 6 weeks of 68W school *in any way* compromise my ability to treat my future patients, or am I simply missing out on EMT-B testing and the usual recruit fun and games? I'm not looking for a shortcut, I'm looking for education.

Now, subsequent to 68W school, my understanding is that I would go to Airborne school en route to my first PCS station, and there spend 2 or so months in "green platoon", which would be followed by many, many hours in the Bn aid station, and after being judged functional there, sent to Bragg for SOCM.

Questions about that process are these:

1) Are there course texts available that I might study beforehand? I'm interested in doing as much prep work as possible, and reading the material I'm expected to learn long before it's an issue helps me a lot.

2) If it's kosher to even discuss, what are some of the procedures and practices taught at the SOCM course?

3) Do any 18Ds or SOCM graduates have any advice, stories, etc to share?

Also, in case anyone cares, there's an awful lot of what seem to be fairy tales out there regarding the 18D course and SOCM. I think the biggest one I've heard is that graduates of either can "challenge the boards" for PA or RN licensure (or that it's "the same thing as..."), but I've read here that that's a myth, and confirmed same with the Dept of Health & Human Services here in Texas. The active recruiter I'm working with here in Houston gave me that one the other day.

You hear other kinds of things that sound far-fetched, e.g. that SOCM grads can perform appendectomies and various other types of surgeries in the field, that they do mass-cas exercises, and on and on. As I'm a noob I can't really offer any sort of real retort to this because I haven't been, but separating the wheat from the chaff is a hell of a task at times.

I'm trying to be calm about going, knowing already that they'll teach me what they'll teach me when I get there, but I'm enthusiastic about this stuff and I want to know it cold when I hit my unit. I had a particularly good instructor in paramedic school who once said that every time you aren't paying attention in class, every time you take a shortcut, every time you fail to study the things you need to know to do this stuff well, you're making a decision to screw over your future patients. I agree with that.

Overall, if anyone can hook me up with some intel and help me prepare a little before I launch, I'd be in your debt. I'd be grateful for intel on the 68W course, too, if anyone's up on it, since that's more immediate.

Thanks in advance!

//B

Eagle5US
03-30-2007, 03:21
HB...
You have elements of many different programs in your post. And some obvious confusion stems from it.

-The first 6 wks of 68W school is EMT-B. Skipping the first 6 weeks skips 6 weeks of training as an EMT-B and as an Army knucklehead in Advanced Individual Training (AIT).

-IF you got jump school in your contract, you may go TDY en-route to whatever your first duty station would be

-Only specific units have the availability to send their medics to SOCM...and yes there needs to be a demonstrated aptitude and an order of merit list is generally followed

-Not sure where you got your "green platoon" information, but that is only for a very specific unit and you wouldn't be going there out of AIT.

-The SOCM course is NOT the ADSOCM course that 18D's (and some other Operational personnel) attend.

Starting from your numbered points down, ALL of your questions / points have already been adressed in these forums. Use the search button or just look and read. Your choice.

Eagle

The Reaper
03-30-2007, 09:42
I agree.

More reading, less rumor-mongering.

And stop trying to use an MOS to get to a school.

You want to play Doctor, go to the proper place and do it the right way. You are not going to get a license to cut without it.

TR

Huggybear
03-30-2007, 10:10
Thanks for the quick replies, I appreciate the help.

crash
08-05-2007, 09:16
I'm looking for someone involved in the SOCM course that could give me some info about why a soldier was removed from the course.

Thanks.

Team Sergeant
08-05-2007, 09:20
I'm looking for someone involved in the SOCM course that could give me some info about why a soldier was removed from the course.

Thanks.

crash,
We do not give out that sort of information to anyone, period.
End of discussion.
Team Sergeant

The Reaper
08-05-2007, 09:40

Just trying to figure out what really happend and whether he is full of Shiz or not.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think the Army spends a little too much time and money sending someone there to remove them from the course for improperly placing a chest tube?

Thanks.

Let me elaborate.

I am intimately familiar with the SOCM Course, the cadre, and the relief policy.

We are seriously short on 18Ds right now, the relief policy requires a number of retraining and recycles opportunities before being removed from the course. Any student who can be salvaged, is being salvaged. As recently as 2001, that was not necessarily the case, and people were removed from training for lesser reasons.

At the same time, I do not want someone graduating who cannot perform all of their duties competently to at least Skill Level 2 practicing medicine on me or any of my people.

We are not going to look into a specific case and provide you any details on someone else's personal business. You should know better than to ask.

I would say that there is more to the soldier's story than he has told you, but it is really none of your business as long as he is competent and soldiers properly in your unit.

Hope that helps.

TR

crash
08-05-2007, 17:18
Thanks, I apologize for being out of line.

Eagle5US
08-06-2007, 13:02
Thanks, I apologize for being out of line.

Should have stopped here.

Eagle