PDA

View Full Version : General McCaffrey's report

futureSoldier
03-28-2007, 13:39
This is an interesting opinion piece on Retired General McCaffrey's report on the status of the Iraq war. This piece focuses on the "black ops" role in Iraq. It is a very favorable review by both the general and the blogger. However, more amazing are the ridiculous reader reviews at the bottom. I suppose I am naive, but the anti-American sentiment found here is surreal to me every time I read it... simply surreal and sad.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/earlywarning/2007/03/ocf_the_elite_terrorist_hunter.html

Eagle5US
03-28-2007, 13:58
washington POST.

Enough said

Eagle

Dan
03-28-2007, 16:24
washington POST.

Enough said

Eagle

...and by none other that the same Arkin that said our military was a mercenary force, said we shouldn't make war on terrorists, etc.

NotME
03-29-2007, 11:46
"The elite cannot, as McCaffrey says "win the nation's wars" all by themselves, but we know so little about what they actually do and what it is they have actually accomplished against what targets, it is hard to assess whether an OCF and OGA effort is the future of the "war" against terrorism or whether it is just counter-terrorism on a treadmill." - says Mr. Arkin

Sort of gives me the impression that his biggest gripe is that there is not enough journalistic insight into the clandestine/covert ops that are described in the report. Raises a disturbing question - Does Mr. Arkin (and others like him) really think that disclosure is more important than success, since disclosure might result in a near total loss of effectiveness of the techniques being used? Or is he really convinced that he and the American people are more emtitled to the classified details than they are to the success of the operations? I don't think there's any satisfying these people. Ever!