PDA

View Full Version : Handloading sniper-grade ammo


QuietShootr
04-15-2004, 00:49
I'm experimenting with the new 178gr Hornady A-MAX loaded to 2600fps, to mimic the trajectory of M118LR (for practice purposes) but from the research I've seen the A-MAX bullet has much better terminal performance. I will report back as experimentation continues, but I think I might have something here.

....
QS

KevinB
04-15-2004, 19:25
QS,

Yeah back when Doc GKR would talk to me I asked about the 178gr - as he had done a lot fo work with the 155gr AMAX.

from my understanding reading some of the opinions, the AMAX is not LandWarfare Legal - not a big deal for the LE crowd but for you and I...

I am still interested in your results.

QuietShootr
04-15-2004, 19:38
I have them on order, they're supposed to be coming in tomorrow...so I'm going to begin load development this weekend. According to my calculations, the difference in trajectory is less than 3 inches all the way out at 800, and since I'm running an M3LR scope, it doesn't really matter anyway:D

[ahnold]I'll be back.[/ahnuld]

QuietShootr
04-19-2004, 15:37
Originally posted by KevinB
QS,

Yeah back when Doc GKR would talk to me I asked about the 178gr - as he had done a lot fo work with the 155gr AMAX.



Did you piss in his Wheaties with the BMT stuff?

QuietShootr
04-26-2004, 14:48
Ok.. 44.0 of Varget seems to be the accurate load here. My chronograph has gone TU while in storage, so it'll be next weekend before I can get some good velocity data. 44.5 was accurate too, and 45.0 is too hot. Interesting phenomenon with Varget is that it shoots BETTER with a hotter load. 42.5 and 43.0 are shotgun patterning...once you hit 43.5 it tightens up to 1 MOA, and keeps tightening as the charge goes up.

Hoplite
04-27-2004, 14:37
What primer are you using? I have found out in the past few years that the primer has more effect on the accuracy than the brand or type of powder used.
Personally I like the CCI BR series for my handloads

QuietShootr
04-27-2004, 19:11
Winchester standard large rifle. I've had excellent accuracy with it in the past, plus it's easily available. I borrowed a chronograph today, so I should have some velocity data tomorrow.

The Reaper
04-27-2004, 19:21
Originally posted by Hoplite
What primer are you using? I have found out in the past few years that the primer has more effect on the accuracy than the brand or type of powder used.
Personally I like the CCI BR series for my handloads

Federal Match.

TR

QuietShootr
04-27-2004, 22:04
I've considered that, but as I said I have made some sub-half-minute .308 loads with the standard WLR primer..and availability of the Fed 210M is sketchy sometimes.

Also, something to think about later. When I get this load fine-tuned, I'm going to start using sealant for the neck and primer. Anyone have any experience with that? I understand some folks around here may have attended some handloading classes - was sealant discussed?

QuietShootr
05-02-2004, 22:48
Okay....

I'm having trouble getting the 178gr AMAX to 2600 with Varget, Federal match case, and Win LR primer. Also, the velocity spread is rather large, on the order of 40 fps. I'm hand-weighing each charge to .10 precision, so it isn't varying powder charges...I'm wondering if bullet pull is a factor.

The Reaper
05-02-2004, 23:33
Originally posted by QuietShootr
Okay....

I'm having trouble getting the 178gr AMAX to 2600 with Varget, Federal match case, and Win LR primer. Also, the velocity spread is rather large, on the order of 40 fps. I'm hand-weighing each charge to .10 precision, so it isn't varying powder charges...I'm wondering if bullet pull is a factor.

All of that is largely irrelevant, except for the primer, which I do not like.

On the ammo side, case prep is the key to consistent accuracy.

TR

KevinB
05-03-2004, 00:14
Originally posted by QuietShootr
Did you piss in his Wheaties with the BMT stuff?



No I forwarded an email to Reaper, and one or two others, when Doc tried to find out who they were exactly.
:D

Seems PERSEC aint to high on his list