PDA

View Full Version : Federal law to ban Myspace?

VAV1500
03-26-2007, 14:38
http://news.com.com/Congress+targets+social+network+sites/2100-1028_3-6071040.html?tag=nefd.lede

I think this is a great idea, it's stuff like Myspace that kills real communication between people, besides providing a great opportunity for some serious shady activities.

82ndtrooper
03-26-2007, 15:23
What will all the kids do without an outlet to show their foolishness and lies ?

Tag Chasers will have to resort to actually meeting men through normal social channels. Church, volley ball league, bars, clubs, bars, clubs, and oh yeah, their place of employment. :rolleyes:

Team Sergeant
03-26-2007, 16:10
What will all the kids do without an outlet to show their foolishness and lies ?

I was thinking along similar lines;

Where will the congressmen and senators go to find underage interns for sex if this should happen!

Warrior-Mentor
03-26-2007, 18:52
...wait til the ACLU gets a hold of this... :rolleyes:

not like kis have anything PRODUCTIVE to do at school...

Peregrino
03-26-2007, 20:59
"It's for the children!" :rolleyes: Another piece of "feel good" legislation. Once again the Nanny State kills mosquitos with a sledgehammer. Parents need to take responsibility for raising their own children and quit expecting the State to do the job for them. Give children the tools to protect themselves from predators (and life in general) by teaching them right from wrong and helping them develop character and moral values. The only real protection anyone has from social deviants is the ability to recognize them, a knowledge of acceptable/unacceptable behavior, and the strength of character/moral courage to resist when approached. A little basic personal security indoctrination is also in order (probably asking a bit much of the average oblivious kid here). Give me a break. Peregrino

hunteran
03-26-2007, 22:03
In addition to the points that Peregrino raises, this will have no effect on the access that minors have to myspace and other similar websites. At my school they have a multitude of sites blocked and it relatively simple to get around the filters (and I am by no means a computer whiz). When I need to get around a filter I simply use a proxy server (the school blocks them but there are millions of them out there and the school can't block them all). In my opinion this legislation is a waste of time, there are more important things to be worrying about right now.

SF18C
03-27-2007, 04:34
This is just another example of some lawmaker trying to make a name for himself. This also why so many people have lost faith with the Republican Party…the party of smaller limited government. We don’t need more laws that can only be enforced after the fact and probably has more loopholes than our tax code. Who pays for the System Administrators to set this policy for each schools internet access, who pays for the hardware need to monitor and report violations of this law, what happens to the school/student/parent when this security policy is breached (either accidentally or willfully). Why not just castrate child molesters, execute child murders and throw people in jail for breaking the 1000’s of laws we already have.

These freaking new Republicans…might as well be little Hillary clones. Ron must be rolling in his grave.

incommin
03-27-2007, 05:24
Another feel good act/law directed at something not understood with a mass of unintended consequences if it passes.

Jim

Ret10Echo
03-27-2007, 05:48
But does this all boil down to an attempt to legislate in order to make up for poor parenting? I see parents provide multiple means of communication to younger and younger children and just turn them loose. It's the modern day version of the BB gun...."OK Johnny, go outside but only shoot cans and rocks." When I was a kid, if my mom gave me an anvil I would find a way to use it that was not it's intended purpose.

HELLO...unplug your child from the fiber ring.....!