PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry's OCONUS

Kraut783
03-15-2007, 19:05
This was brought up in a discussion today at work and no one really knew the answer. Not a serious discussion, more of a "hey..I wonder if..." kind. We all know that both Afghanistan and Iraq have cell phone coverage in some areas...but would a blackberry type phone work there..not really the cell phone part but the e-mail part. We were thinking that U.S. based cell phone companies probably don't work with some countries companies... but my sister uses her blackberry in all parts of Europe as well as New Zealand and parts of Africa with no problems.

Any thoughts?

The Reaper
03-15-2007, 20:31
This was brought up in a discussion today at work and no one really knew the answer. Not a serious discussion, more of a "hey..I wonder if..." kind. We all know that both Afghanistan and Iraq have cell phone coverage in some areas...but would a blackberry type phone work there..not really the cell phone part but the e-mail part. We were thinking that U.S. based cell phone companies probably don't work with some countries companies... but my sister uses her blackberry in all parts of Europe as well as New Zealand and parts of Africa with no problems.

Any thoughts?

There are two major cellular network types remaining.

CDMA and GSM.

The US, and I think Japan still use CDMA. Most of the others, like Europe, are GSM only, and CDMA devices will not work there.

For example, Verizon is a CDMA network and Cingular is GSM. The Cingular devices will work in Europe with few, if any changes. The Verizon devices will not. Verizon will make overseas capable devices available to customer who need them for travel, for a fee.

HTH.

TR

Kraut783
03-15-2007, 21:30
Thank you TR for the information :)

Sionnach
03-16-2007, 09:26
As TR said, the phone may work depending on the type, but for the Blackberry service to work you need data access. If you can get internet service through the wireless provider in the locations you are referring to, the Blackberry services should work. YMMV.

Snaquebite
03-16-2007, 14:09
For Cingular and others that do use GSM, the device must be an "unlocked" version or it won't work either. In other words it must have access to the 900/1800 freqs. Many quad band phones sold in the US are locked to 850/1900range by the mobile service being used and unless they can be unlocked will not access the other two freq ranges.

If it is unlocked all you have to do is change sim ships based on the service requirements. A lot of US phone services are now partnered with Foreign companies. Rates are extremely high.

Do some googlin....

one-zero
03-16-2007, 14:54
Depending on your line of work, or the info you plan on passing - HIGHLY recommend you don't use your BB OCONUS.

Not going to elaborate more on this topic....

Ret10Echo
03-16-2007, 16:30
A-firm

mugwump
03-16-2007, 16:36
Depending on your line of work, or the info you plan on passing - HIGHLY recommend you don't use your BB OCONUS.

Word, as the kids used to say. Standard BBs are unsecure.

You can get special BBs with embedded encryption (FIPS 140 certs) and a PGP package if you need to go this route. If you use both the hard and soft encryption you're probably OK, but then I'm protecting ideas, not lives. YMMV.

Airbornelawyer
03-16-2007, 18:10
Considering RIM's retransmission facilities are in Canada, every time you use your Blackberry, you are using it OCONUS. The e-mail gets routed from your Blackberry to Canada and from there to its destination.

My Blackberry worked without any modification in Europe the last time I was there, but no phone capability.

NousDefionsDoc
03-16-2007, 18:41
Considering RIM's retransmission facilities are in Canada, every time you use your Blackberry, you are using it OCONUS. The e-mail gets routed from your Blackberry to Canada and from there to its destination.

My Blackberry worked without any modification in Europe the last time I was there, but no phone capability.
Well now that is interesting. Some research into Canada's monitoring laws would seem appropriate for BB users...

Airbornelawyer
03-16-2007, 19:57
It also means that since every e-mail on your Blackberry is an international communication into the U.S., the NSA can monitor it. I am surprised civil libertarians haven't noticed this as yet.

Kraut783
03-17-2007, 09:15
Thanks for everyones replys, all very interesting information.

one-zero
03-17-2007, 09:22
Said I wouldn't elaborate - and I won't on capability....But am glad to see some gears turning, but to get you're mind on right track - forget about transmission back into US and NSA monitoring, they're busy enough with legit terrorists (and congress:mad: ). It's the foreign-use end of things everyone needs to concern themselves with, if applicable (proprietary company info, ANY level USG info, messages with personal info you wouldn't be comfortable with posting for world to see...) One has to weigh these things of course as you can over-do COMSEC. I've just found too many folks rationalizing things away...which just makes the opposition's job easier - whether business or Gov't.

regards,
1-0

mugwump
03-17-2007, 10:30
Said I wouldn't elaborate - and I won't on capability....But am glad to see some gears turning, but to get you're mind on right track - forget about transmission back into US and NSA monitoring, they're busy enough with legit terrorists (and congress:mad: ). It's the foreign-use end of things everyone needs to concern themselves with, if applicable (proprietary company info, ANY level USG info, messages with personal info you wouldn't be comfortable with posting for world to see...) One has to weigh these things of course as you can over-do COMSEC. I've just found too many folks rationalizing things away...which just makes the opposition's job easier - whether business or Gov't.

regards,
1-0

Very true. Industrial espionage is a huge problem, and has national security implications that the majority of those in business don't see. Blackberries are the least of it...

I'm not allowed to use a British foreign national on some projects yet the same folks have Chinese foreign nationals working for them -- trying to "build bridges" to those 3 billion armpits, don'tcha know.

Ret10Echo
03-17-2007, 14:27
This is driven by your network capability, but but be advised that there is something new on the market that allows Type-1 email capability in a PDA type device (if you're serious about what you are doing.......).